iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lucas slabber chain jumping

Started by Joey Grimes, June 12, 2018, 08:00:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joey Grimes

I've been having issues while slabbing when pushing the carriage in a cut there's a vibration it sound like the chain is jumping the sprocket but it is not .I bought the 8/25 secondhand and have been replacing normal wear parts I have installed new style bar 14 tooth sprocket new drive belts all rollers gas strut.The gearbox has a leak but there does not seem to be any slack but that seems to be the area the noise is coming from. I have shimed the bar so it is plained level.
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

Don P

Are sprocket, bar and chain all the same? If you have the old bar maybe mount it and see if it goes away?

Joey Grimes

I tried that with the same results 
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

chep

I have to assume you swapped out chains? I've had an aggressive chain jump around quite a bit.
Basic but helpful?

fishpharmer

Hate to hear your having issues.  If you don't think its the gearbox, maybe check the belts and clutch, slippage there may cause the sound. Or not.  

Drain the gearbox and use a small magnet to collect any possible metal debris.  If none, it may be okay.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Joey Grimes

I did replace the clutch I think it is the belts I tightened them up and it got better but I think I got them hot and they are jumping when I push into a cut they may have stretched when I retightened the muffler is almost touching the swingframe

Joey Grimes

So my new belts stretched so I replaced them with a new set and checked the engine rpms they were 3200 I turned them up to 3600 and it's been cutting great !!

Don P

I was talking to fishpharmer and Xlogger at the slab workshop about us smoking belts pretty easily. We overtensioned the first set and cracked them, it's easy to overtighten them. I think we went the other way with the new set and were afraid of too much tension and were running too slack.

Thank You Sponsors!