The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Moose hunting  (Read 1684 times)

Online K-Guy

• Share Post
    • http://www.nyle.com/
Re: Moose hunting
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2020, 08:43:53 AM »

I'm pretty much ready to try any kind of wild meat but have only had turkey, deer, moose and elk so far. I found the turkey tough and stringy and will stick with store bought. For deer I have learned that deer from softwood forests don't taste as good as deer from hardwood forests. Moose is delicious but elk is king. 

My wife hates it when we see a different animal and one the first things I say is " I wonder what it tastes like?"  :D
Nyle Kiln Sales & Service
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2020, 06:30:58 PM »
When someone tells me they tried venison once and they don't like it I say if your first taste of beef was an older breeding bull you probably wouldn't like beef. When I shoot an older deer I get sausage, bologna, and burger for chili, spaghetti etc. I prefer younger bucks and does for the normal cuts.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Online Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2020, 07:16:40 PM »
Deer backstrap and tenderloins from deer around here I would rather eat than beef tenderloin ( filet mignon) from the stores. The last several beef tenderloins from the store. 16.98-22.98 out of the case.  Didnít hold a candle to my backstrap and tenderloins from my deer 🦌. These deer around here are eating the two crops of corn and beans every year and they are like really good beef. Now if it was beef that came from a managed operation like Southside then thatís a different story

Offline Ricker

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2020, 09:21:37 PM »
For both deer and moose I find the biggest thing is not to over cook it.  Well aged or not, best cut or the worst, cooked beyond a medium rare is going to make chew like a leather boot. 

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2020, 09:30:59 PM »
Feedlot beef put on most all of their fat from soy and corn, neither of which transfer any flavor to the fat and that is there the flavor is with a commodity beef.  Now your deer eat green corn stover, leaf, grain, along with green soy leaves, pods, beans where they get plenty of chlorophyll and the mineral and flavor that comes with it, along with the acorns, ferns, buds, etc.  All bring different mineral profiles to the fat which creates the flavor.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Online Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2020, 10:44:17 PM »
Very interesting 👍

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2020, 04:04:35 AM »
Tricks and tips: process yourself (butcher by removing anything inedible including anything silver or fatty looking), cut against the grain about 3/4Ē thick, towel dry
off, flower using all-purpose flower, place pieces in bacon grease of cast-iron skillet, fry over medium to med-high heat, when done to your liking then place on cookie cooling racks so excessive grease drains and while on the rack use a decent shaking of Cavenderís all-purpose Greek seasoning. Eat hot, while cooling, or next day for leftovers.

P.S.   Even when I make a VERY large batch (cookie sheet size) I almost never have leftovers for more than a few hours.
Trying harder everyday.

Offline KEC

• Share Post
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2020, 09:00:25 PM »
TacoTodd, I'm with you on cutting up deer yourself around 3/4 " thick. Years ago I had venison cut up bone-in by a meatcutter, almost soured me on eating deer. Then a cousin set me on the right track. A very sharp boning knife will do most everything you need to do to a deer. Also my neighbors' electric grinder is helpful. I'm getting hungry!

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2020, 08:07:50 PM »
I cube the sirloins, round, and even the backstap.  My favorite was to cook it is to coat it in House Autry chicken breader and fry it about half done on the stove with just a little oil.  Basically you just brown the meat, not cook it all the way through.  Put the meat in a baking dish.  Add some more of the breader to the oil to make a roux.  When breader has browned properly, add water or milk to make a gravy.  Several cups worth. Then, cut up some onions, green bell peppers, and mushrooms and put all over the top of the meat. then pour the gravy over the whole lot.  Cover with foil and put in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes.  Serve with rice and a vegetable.  It will be fork tender and delicious!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline KEC

• Share Post
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2020, 09:32:46 PM »
I got to thinking about how this started about a moose and we ended up talking about cooking deer (the smaller kind). I once had some roast moose that a guy cooked and seasoned with thyme, very very good!

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2020, 07:55:16 AM »
Step son got another one, I think 450#. Well his clients got one, he is a guide. This was for two hunters one in his late 70's and his friend in his early 80's.
He was involved with 3 moose hunts. His wife was drawn, so they got a freezer full of meat.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2020, 01:28:41 PM »
Well done!
~Ron

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2020, 01:45:46 PM »
Now, to start eating!  ;D
Trying harder everyday.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Moose hunting

Started by stumpy on The Outdoor Board

19 Replies
Last post February 16, 2019, 02:15:48 PM
by starmac
xx
Anyone moose hunting?

Started by sbishop on The Outdoor Board

2 Replies
Last post September 24, 2013, 07:35:54 PM
by Ken