iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is a good light weight chainsaw? I have a good large powerful saw.

Started by TNMailman, January 03, 2021, 11:10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNMailman

I need to replace my small light weight chainsaw. I have a large chainsaw that does a good job so good to go there.

The light weight saw I use for cutting limbs off the main logs, cleaning out under growth around trees before cutting, and small diameter (1inch to 3") canopy shock trees that are bent over in a bow shape etc.

The saw does get worked hours and hours so I may not be able to go with a cheapy saw.
With that said if you do have a cheapy that you have had good use with, please let me know.
I am not against anything that works, just trying to explain this saw wont be a just for the occasional use type saw. This saw will have to run.

The larger saw handles all of the cutting of anything with substance to it so that allows me to be able to get a light one which is important for cutting in tight spots, spots that are located up/high. I am looking at "Light weight " first and "CC/Power" second, well throw in "Dependable" being more important than either. The sole reason I am replacing my current light weight is it is NOT dependable.

lxskllr

For a featherweight, I *really* like my echo 2511t top handle. They're also selling it in a rear handle configuration in the US now. Downsides are the air filter gets dirty quick(at least in the top handle), and the fuel tank is small. Super dependable, and it just wants to start. Prime it, and if I'm quick reducing the choke, I can sometimes get it going in one pull from a cold(40°F) start. After running, it's a one pull start.

ECHO CS-2511P Rear-Handle Chainsaw | ECHO USA

edit:
Oh, and the stock chain isn't great. Grabby and chattery, but it'll smooth out as it gets used/sharpened. I like Stihl pm on it.

sawguy21

Either suggestion will serve you well although the 261 may be more than what you need and it ain't inexpensive. I have sold, serviced and owned Echo products and that would be my first choice. Do you have a competent servicing dealer nearby? IMHO that is more important than brand.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Iwawoodwork

I have several small saws , 023 stihl, 2 small 240 huskys plus a couple of off brand 40-60cc saws and my go to saw for the last 5-6 years has been the 370 echo with a 16" bar, very easy to start, dependable and strong for a small saw.

mike_belben

346xp.  ms260pro, husky 351/353.   

Husky350, jred 2050/2150, ms230/250 is the throw away version of those above. 
Praise The Lord

hopm

I like echo husky and stihl😁
Have all 3 and use daily. But my go to that has been used 10x as much as the others combined is a ms 250. I know it's a cheapy homeowner saw but it has served extremely well. But the day it dies it will be replaced with 261.

TNMailman

Quote from: sawguy21 on January 03, 2021, 12:24:05 PM
Either suggestion will serve you well although the 261 may be more than what you need and it ain't inexpensive. I have sold, serviced and owned Echo products and that would be my first choice. Do you have a competent servicing dealer nearby? IMHO that is more important than brand.
Thanks for all replies. Unfortunately, there are no dealers close by. I would have to drive a long ways if repairs are needed no matter the brand I buy. So dependable is my main goal.

And the small saw I use now eats rewinds often. Granted I can buy those online, and replace myself but it is expensive and halts work. And I do keep an extra rewind on hand now as I have replaced three in the last few months. The rewinds are $30 per piece, so that cost $90 in just a few months. Then I went through 2 clutch covers, but cant recall off hand what those cost. Also just replaced the carburetor which was over a hundred dollars and fortunately my car mechanic agreed to replace it so I didnt have to ship it or drive a long ways. So will start checking out these suggestions and pick up one ASAP. Thanks again.

sprucebunny

My Stihl MS193 has been great. No problems. Not thier least expensive saw of that size but much more reliable than a MS180. I always use thier Ultra oil. They doubled the warrenty for buying a 6 pack.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Fishnuts2

I'd go with an Echo CS-400, same saw as the 370 previously mentioned, but a little more power.  They start easy and are reliable.  I can't imagine replacing a recoil on an Echo, as you don't have to pull them over many times to start. 

Greenhighlander

My MS 251 has gone through the war and back and is still running just like new. I also have a husky 445 Mark II that has also held up surprisingly well for being used 30+ hours a week for 2 years now.   
That being said when both finally die I will be buying a MS 261 cm .

ehp

ladylake

A Echo cs352 , cs3510, cs370,  cs400 will be quite a bit to  lot lighter than a MS261 Stihl  and will zip through  small branches fast.  Nothing wrong with a MS261, just weighs a couple pounds+  more.  I'd lean towards a cs3510, really light with good power.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

longtime lurker

I can't talk about long term reliability but I am currently loving on a MSA220C I got for around the mill because my dad struggles now to start a regular chainsaw.

Couple weeks in and its the best 40cc saw I've ever used. Never thought I'd say that about a battery saw but there it is.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Jerryok1971

I have an Echo 310 that I use a ton
And it's never let me down. It's starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull when cold and 1st pull when warmed up. I know it's not a professional saw by any means but for 200 bucks I would buy it again. Really light also.

trapper

my Echo 310 is verry dependable and easy starting also.  Might look at the cs3510  becauss it is even lighter with more power.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

hedgerow

I have Echo 360 and a Stihl 261 for my lighter saw and both have been great saws. I think if you buy a 261 you will use it most of the time.

welderskelter

I found I dont need a dealer since I found ebay and youtube. Depends what you have for a powerful saw as to what you need as a smaller saw. I use an 066 for power and then I got an 038 thinking it was smaller it would be lighter. Wrong, same weight. I have a n 025 that I am working on getting running. It seems like the size I need for liming.

mike_belben

In older stihl, your last digit odd is clamshell and your last digit even is crankcase.  For stihl guys who want to build a keeper, i suggest the 026 or ms260 pro.  Good saw.  Imo a good competitor against the 346xp. 
Praise The Lord

Old saw fixer

I had an 026, it was a very good saw for my needs.  Alas, I sold it because I wanted an 036 Pro.  I really wanted an 044! 
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

Dave12

MS260 if you're on a budget.  Do a little muffler mod and remove the limiters from the carb and turn it up a bit and it'll rip.  MS261c if it's in the budget and you don't like messing around with carb adjustments.
Just a small time firewood cutter using a Stihl MS500i, MS400c and MS462c

TNMailman

These were very good suggestions and I read every one of them and researched every suggested saw if I was not already familiar with them. I really appreciate all of them as switch brands of saws is no easy task.

I have never owned a ECHO anything but after seeing all of the recommendations on here, I ended up buying a Echo CS 400. 

I was going to buy a less CC in the ECHO to keep the weight lighter but at the last second I seen the weight on the CS400 was the same weight as the Husqvarna 435 that I have been using for the last two years. So I decided a 40 CC saw would be better if my 60 CC Husqvarna saw was ever broke or stuck in a bind. I cant say enough about the 60 CC Husky as it has cut acres of Sweet Gums, Sugar Maples etc. My son told me that when someone sees my land never mention that it was done by chainsaws because they will never believe it.

Today I used the CS 400 off and and on cutting limbs from logs then cutting the log with the 60 CC. The ECHO 400 cut really quick and a lot of power. The temp never got out of the 30s today and the saw stated effortlessly every time. It has two bolts to hold the chain tight which is a must, and I will never buy another saw that only has one bolt. Only time and use will tell how durable this saw will be but initial results I could not be happier. Very grateful for the suggestions. I would not have ever thought of ECHO had I not posted on here and asked. Also, right before dark I decided to push the saw a little and cut the top limbs of a gum with the ECHO, the limbs were about 8 inches in diameter and it went right through them quickly, never bogged.

lxskllr

The cs400 is a great saw. I've used mine a lot, and done a lot of brush slashing, which means I was swinging it around using 100% arm strength. It naturally gets tiring after awhile, but it really is a lightweight, and I've spent many hours with it in my hands.

You might want to consider a muffler mod and retune. I can't compare to stock cause I modded mine before I really used it, but everyone says it really wakes them up.

trapper

Bought the echo 3510 to replace my 310  A bit lighter with more power.  Had the dealer put a 14 in bar on it.  Today at  7 degree out my ms 261 wouldnt start,  my ms 241 took 10 pulls to start.  The 3510 took 2 pulls to start.  Was impressed with it cutting through 12 in dead ash.  So far not impressed with my 261cm.  very cold it is hard to start.  Hot weather hard to start.  Runs good when it runs.  Dealer says nothing wrong with it.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

DHansen

If your primary concern is weight, look at a 2511P. Less weight than a battery saw once you add the battery weight.  I have been happy with mine. As far as the long run, I have only 8 tanks and four weekends with mine.  Time will tell.  But on red oak I have been happy with it's performance.  For me I was looking small and light, and this little 25cc saw fit my needs.

Thank You Sponsors!