iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is a good light weight chainsaw? I have a good large powerful saw.

Started by TNMailman, January 03, 2021, 11:10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

Trapper, on your 261cm have you done the reset/calibration like in the manual? I never have, because I've never had an issue with mine but it would be worth looking into. It's -15° out right now, my 261 is out in the cold shed and hasn't been started in a month. I bet 5-6 pulls and it would be ready to rock.
Too many irons in the fire

trapper

Barbender book didnt have reset procedure in it  looked it up on the forum in holman tree thread and ran it with my wife timing me.  Dosnt seem to help  At about 10 degree I tried to start it and wouldnt start.  Used my new little echo that started in 2 pulls.  Half hour        i tried again and it started  Has done that several times.  In hot weather  it often does the same thing.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

doc henderson

they have had trouble with the fuel module, and my dealer put a newer one in my 261 despite the test being ok.  now it runs all the time.  must have an intermittent problem, that of course does not happen at the dealer.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Al_Smith

I can't  recommend any more modern saws because quite frankly I don't own any .However for a light weight the 024-026 Stihl's do a nice job.I have an .024 myself .Not an oak slayer unless you have lot of time but a good limber ,lighter cuts as a firewooder etc .Light as a feather and have enough power plus parts are  available at your friendly neighborhood Stihl dealer .For that matter available at your not so friendly dealers also . 

trapper

Doc I contacted stihl through their website with my problem.  will see what happens. I have bought saws, 0turn lawnmower weedeaters and a blower from this dealer but have not had satisfaction with this saw.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Echo-man1

The little Echo CS-3510ES works really great here so far. Will see how easy it starts when it gets below freezing here in Norway in a month or two. I have a larger 50cc saw and only uses the small Echo for small trees and cutting off the branches etc. Bought it a cople of months ago and it came with a 14" bar and 0.050" Oregon chain (91PX053G). The 14" Echo bar is rather narrow, so I bought the Oregon 120SXEA041 12-inch bar which has a larger radius nose-wheel (9 teeth) and put on the Husqvarna X-cut S93G 45DL chain. It cuts great. The Echo runs better and better now after 7-8 tanks of fuel thru it, but I strongly suggest to let a professional chainsaw mechanic adjust the carburettor on it. Mine did not run great out-of-the box, it needed a bit of adjustment. The EU-model has no carb limiters caps on them, but in stead the adjustment needles (L and H) has a special cylindrical shape with a flat portion on one side (single-D). I did find the special tool for it online. So I did adjust it myself, but it was tricky to adjust. Ideally one should have a tachometer and adjust the H-needle for no more than 13.000 rpm I believe (the manual states max 13.300 rpm). It's better to have it run a tiny bit too rich than too lean, so it don't over-rew and get too hot and get damaged.

Here is a video I made with the small 12-inch Oregon bar and the Husqvarna X-cut chain:

https://vimeo.com/593301395

Weight with full tank of oil and gas with Oregon 12" bar and chain is 10.4 Lbs. So it is easy to carry. My 50cc saw weights about 14.9 Lbs.

HemlockKing

I would say a 261 is overkill for 1-3" branches but none the less not necessarily a wrong choice since it's still fairly light and nimble. I would go with a ms250 for that. I think the ms250 is great up to 12-14" stuff, and light enough to justify carrying it around for 1" limbs 
A1

doc henderson

I like the 261 with an 18 or 20 inch bar, as it is easier to reach a limb on the ground without bending over so much.   8)
I would like to try an echo saw sometime.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

HemlockKing

Quote from: doc henderson on August 27, 2021, 05:05:04 PM
I like the 261 with an 18 or 20 inch bar, as it is easier to reach a limb on the ground without bending over so much.   8)
I would like to try an echo saw sometime.
I would say if all you’re doing is limbing the 250 could run the 18 inch bar no problem, probably even fell with it fine. But yeah you’re right a 20 inch bar. I do have a 026 with 18 but I end up using the 250 with 16 for limbing more often than not. For bucking firewood on the ground though I do enjoy using the 500i, only had it a few months, only 20” on it now, ordered a 28 and 36 and still waiting. It is nice and light for what it is 
A1

doc henderson

If I am putting up firewood, or trimming for the mill, I might have a variety of cuts so I like the idea that I can do what is needed.  I also try to not get too many saws out.  I have never ran over one with the track loader...yet!   :o :) :D  I want to keep it that way.

HemlockKing

Quote from: doc henderson on August 27, 2021, 05:28:33 PM
If I am putting up firewood, or trimming for the mill, I might have a variety of cuts so I like the idea that I can do what is needed.  I also try to not get too many saws out.  I have never ran over one with the track loader...yet!   :o :) :D  I want to keep it that way.
The 462? And +1 on the not running stuff over lol 
A1

Al_Smith

Things do happen   unfortunately .I resurrected a once good running  Stihl BG -85 blower that lost the battle with a 7,000 pound brush chipper .The worst I ever did was backing into a 10" I beam column with a bull dozer .It took some rather creative repair work on the concrete pier to fix it . < long story --- 

Thank You Sponsors!