iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 201C - Echo2511P

Started by DHansen, January 18, 2021, 08:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHansen

I cut for firewood to heat with.  Try to keep the dead falls under control.  Been in the same place since 1985 and I never run out of fire wood.  I help the neighbors with the ones that need to come down or the ones the wind takes down. 

DHansen

Helping the neighbor type of job.  My help and equipment for the firewood.  I like the trade off.  Cutting and splitting is good for me.  I am relaxed when doing this type of work and enjoy it.

lxskllr

That lift is pretty fancy. How do you come to have that as a non pro? Use it for your regular job, or have it just cause it's useful?

DHansen

Rented the lifts when needed.   I have only needed the lifts on 4 trees that were too close to homes.  Otherwise I have space to drop them.  If I am not comfortable with where I need to drop it, then I use a lift.  Tornado clean up is also a common task.

DHansen

The 2511P makes easy work of the cuts under 7" diameter.  If you need to cut larger diameter it will do it, but a bigger saw is a better tool for that type of work.  I had to sharpen the chain today.  My fault for the chain damage.  We had a fresh 5" of snow last night and I went to work on a pile of red oak that had been piled with a grappler.  I did not know or see the 1/2 diameter braided cable till the damaged had been done.  Mad at myself.  But 5 minutes with a 5/32" file and back to work.

DHansen

Quote from: Spike60 on January 24, 2021, 11:01:34 AM
That's a cool looking small saw; thanks for the pics. Probably a great little saw for breaking down tops.

Just curious, but what avg size wood to you like to cut with that? And what do you think the upper end is for that saw? And do you have anything in between that and the 266; it's quite a gap. (and an excuse to have another saw of course)
So Spike you get enabling points! 
Found a Husqvarna 550XP MII  Should fill the void between the 39cc 339XP and the 66cc 266XP  Will test drive it on Saturday on firewood.

gspren

I should just quit reading these posts! I thought between my 044 and 261 Stihls I'll never need or want anything else for my firewood cutting BUT now I just might need that 2511P for the 5" and under stuff. I could probably just put it with the others in the shed and she wouldn't even know. :D
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

DHansen

So the Echo 2511P has this feature that you use the pull start handle as a tool to aid in removal of the gas and oil caps for refueling.  I thought it was silly.  Well guess what.  I find myself using that silly feature!

Have not even fired up the Husqvarna 550XP.   Been working this little Echo.  Three more tanks through it today.  So far it is doing what I wanted it for.  1" to 7" is a great range of diameter for this saw cutting red oak.  In that range there is no stalling the chain.  Bar length and greater you need to let the weight of the saw do the cut.  With pressure it will stall the chain.  To recap, I am happy so far.  More time will tell.

DHansen

DHansen

38 seconds for that cut.  

DHansen

Finally set the 2511P down and started using the 550XP.  Not trying to compare the two as they are in different class as far as intended use.  Twice the cc displacement, and twice the weight.  But 1/2 the cutting time through the same logs.  So in my younger days the 550XP could be an all day saw.  But now I need the weight reduction for my back.

I do like the flip up gas and oil caps.  Easy to use.  

16 seconds for cut in same log as the 2511P cut.  

Makes more sense to use the correct tool for the job and know when to switch saws.

ladylake

Have you opened up the muffler yet?  On youtube  cut times went from 17 seconds to 11 second by opening up the muff.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

DHansen

I have not opened up the muffler.

DHansen

Is the exhaust restriction at the outlet?  Or is the muffler itself not flowing freely?  If the exhaust is opened up, and Engine rps increase, does the air fuel ratio in main metering need to be made richer?

ladylake

Take a look on you tube, there vids of modding the 2511p muffler. Every Echo saw get I open up the muff , pull the limiter caps and tune good.  Most times it's round a 30% increase in cutting speed. I think Echo  clogs up the muff and tunes lean to get by EPA regulations.  Steve

Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

gspren

I stopped at the local Echo dealer to get a new pull rope for my Simplicity snow blower and he forced me into going over to the chainsaw wall  :D he didn't have the 2511P, just the top handle although he said he will in a few weeks. That is a cute little saw, I believe the top handle 2511 was almost $400.00, does that sound right?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

lxskllr

Yup, that's what I paid. It's considered part of their pro line, so the prices are higher than you might otherwise assume. The "X" series are what they consider their pro tools.

DHansen

I paid $415.00 with that upgraded bar 12" and three oregon chains.  Dealer had tools and extra air filter in the bag with the owners manual.  Not sure if that was him being thoughtful and proactive, or if ECHO includes the extra air filter.    The same dealer did this also with the 550XP Mk. II  I'll ask him about these extra air filters.   The 2511P was $399.00 with the stock bar.

Fishnuts2

Sounds like you have a good dealer.  I have about 15 tanks of fuel through my 2511 now, and it runs noticeably better than new.  It is always the first saw I load if I am heading out with saws.

DHansen

Just an update after several months of use.  Now that the newness had worn off.

The fuel and bar oil caps are okay, but having to use the recoil handle as an aid in leverage for removal is an extra step.  I like the Husqvarna 550xp caps much more.

The saw always starts easy, runs and idles great.  Very light weight.  It is excellent for the 4-5" trimming and clean up work.  

So in a nutshell, I am still happy with this saw and it's usefulness.

lxskllr

Yea, I'm not super fond of the caps either, but I'm one of the weirdos that likes flippy caps. There's a narrow range between loosy leaky, and using the pull handle to free them. They're also more prone to getting bits of crud on the gasket causing leaks. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but there's room for improvement. At least the holes are big. It's very easy to fill without making a mess.

DHansen

Used the 2511P and 550xp to get the wood pile stocked up for the next heating season.  That 2511P is nice to have handy for cleaning up the annoying limbs.

DHansen

Had a nice pine blow down over night. 55 plus mph winds.  Did not expect this healthy tree to fall.  The 2511P started on second pull.  No stalling, just right to work and excellent at limbing the pine.  At the 4-5" diameter range it's time for a bigger saw.  So the 550xp was put to work.  There have been some recent posts about the hard starting on the 550xp.  So I paid close attention.  Prime 5 times. Full choke, pull twice and it popped. Choke off, still on high idle. One pull and it was running.  My Haix chainsaw boots I  can just get my toe to hold the handle to the ground.  I can see where people are having issues getting their boot into the handle for pull start.  Both saws are excellent at doing the job.

DHansen

My 24 year old daughter used the 2511P Echo this past Tuesday to clean up after a storm.  She could start it herself.  Like how light weight the saw is and did a great job limbing the downed limbs that were too large for the loppers.   And I appreciated the extra helper.  As much as this saw can do more than you would expect, when the diameter of the cut gets to about 6", there are better saw choices.  I am still very happy with this saws performance and reliability.

Spike60

What did that 2511 cost? The sweet thing about those little Echos is that they are affordable. The Husky T525 is also a real nice little saw to run. But they're up around $500. The T435 is still less than $400, but it seems like Husky and Stihl equate "top handle" with "professional" which means "expensive". :)

Agree that 6" is about the limit for these sub-30cc saws. Not sure if it's a limit on the saw, or on our patience when using them. LOL  But most anybody here reading this will have something larger to grab as the wood gets bigger.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Thank You Sponsors!