iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jonsered CS2240S runs only at WOT

Started by Deanpeddle, February 18, 2021, 09:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deanpeddle

Jonsered CS2240S  (same as Husky 435 I'm told).  This saw has served me well over the past 5 years.  Recently it started 'racing' while in idle.  I adjusted H / L and Throttle to get it usable for a few minutes but then it acted up again.  So now the saw will start easily if choke is on but won't idle. If I feather the throttle a bit I can get it to WOT (11500 - 12500 RPM on tach) and it will keep running as it should. Once its running (i.e. just about WOT), as soon as I let her throttle down (say somewhere between 5500 and 7500) she cuts off. Carb is not the problem as I tried another carb and got same issue.  My first thought is/was an air leak ... but not sure - esp. since she's 'normal' at WOT.   How can I confirm that an air leak is the problem? Should I start with replacing fuels lines, purge bulb, stuff like that? any suggestions welcome.

sawguy21

Welcome! You could start by blindly throwing parts at it but a can of carb and choke cleaner is cheaper and easier. Spray i around the base of  the carb and over the fuel line, a change in running will indicate an air leak. With the bar and chain off, do the same behind the clutch. There may be debris disturbing the seal.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

charles mann

My 2166 had a bad carb causing near the exact same issues. Put a new carb, drained the pump gas the shop filled it with and serviced with a tank of avgas. No issues in 2 yrs
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Thank You Sponsors!