The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Are Stihl saws always hard to start?  (Read 2906 times)

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Are Stihl saws always hard to start?
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2021, 01:34:38 PM »
My Stihl ms 290 saw, fs 85r wacker , and backpack blower were all hard starting.  That's  why I switched  to all Echo products and would never go back to Stihl after experiencing the difference. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, and a logrite cant hook.

Offline welderskelter

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2021, 02:15:31 PM »
I never let mine idle unless I set it down to throw a limb out of the way. I like to let it warm up about 10 seconds then it wants to start sawing.

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2021, 04:09:46 PM »
There does seem to be an "Art" to starting them. 

From cold it's setting full choke, then pull them over a few times until it "pops". You aren't trying to start them at that point, so you don't have to be very energetic, and a slower pull will do the job. I figure this "primes" the carb, and it now has fuel in it. Then flick the lever to the actual "starting" position, and it should start  with 2 or 3 more pulls. Some other saws do start easier, but at least my Stihl is consistent. 

Warm should be no problem, don't use the full choke, push the lever to full choke, but bring it back to the start position before you pull. Might take one pull, or 3, but it should fire up fine. 

Where I sometimes mess up is if the saw has sat for 10 minutes or so. Now is it "warm", or has it cooled off  ???  If you guess wrong then, you can flood it.  So I usually try the warm start. If that doesn't work, then ONE pull of full choke, and back to the warm start usually gets it going. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2021, 04:34:11 PM »
I have never had any problem starting any Stihl that I have had or the FD has had.  They have all started exactly the same if you follow the start up procedure in the manual.  The only thing I ever had trouble with was my Stihl string trimmer.  I got rid of it because it would not start.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2021, 04:12:39 AM »

Out on saw jobs I see a lot of Stihls hard to start even after being run earlier, some start good.  Steve 
Timberking B20 15000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline grabber green

• Share Post
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2021, 06:42:26 AM »
welderskelter ,No, stihl saws aren't always hard to start. Mine have always started easy and I had never heard of anybody having trouble starting one until this thread. I can recomend an electric chainsaw to replace your smaller saws. A friend of mine use to keep one plugged up at the tail of his mill for trimming ,just hit the trigger and cut.Worked great and  saved alot of starter rope.

Offline welderskelter

• Share Post
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2021, 09:32:21 AM »
Grabber Green, I dont have any trouble starting my stihls. It just seems like the 10 pulls it takes to start mine is too much. I thought when I started this that I would find some guys that had already solved the problem for me and I wouldnt have to invent the wheel to do it.( An electric chainsaw. Now thems fighten words.) Ha. :snowball:                                
I thought about getting a Husky for a starter motor. :D
Any other suggestions?

Online btulloh

• Senior Member x2
  • I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2021, 09:36:55 AM »
None of the suggestions above help at all?
HM126

Offline welderskelter

• Share Post
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2021, 12:30:07 PM »
btulloh. Yes they might. Only I have just changed the plug. And the way I start mine is pretty much as everybody else says. I do clean the air filter regularly.  Dont know what else to do. Thanks everybody.

Offline donbj

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2021, 01:52:14 PM »
I thought about getting a Husky for a starter motor.

Well at least you'll have a dependable starter motor! :)
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2021, 09:50:19 PM »
Pulling it over slowly with the choke on does not help?   ???  Made a BIG difference with my 372 husky. 
I also have a new 450 that I do the same thing. The slow start. That sometimes will catch and start on me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2021, 05:21:35 AM »
Only Stihl I've run was a clearing saw. Never started hard. Push in decompression. Prime 3 or 4 times, two pulls. And the pulls was short not like starting a lawn mower. Couple quick snaps and you're off. Husqvarna was some getting used to, on those choke/switch button gizmos. Push decompression, prime 5 times, 3 or 4 light pulls, then she fired up. And it don't run smooth at first either, same with their clearing saws, gotta trigger feed it a few times for it to wake up. And that's brand new to. Now if we had the real Husqvarnas without those primer bulbs and switch gizmos you'd see a world of difference start'n them. You can't always improve upon what already worked, you just make a mess of it. :D
No amount of belief makes something a fact. James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

Offline Spike60

• Share Post
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2021, 05:51:24 AM »
I was being a goofball before, but on the serious side, some of this is often the case of guys getting older and not being able to to snap the rope as quick as they used to. And looking at the age of some of the posters, I wonder if that's part of it. Please don't anyone get offended. But this happens quite frequently in the shop. Often with someone I've known for years. Natural to think it must be the saw, but blanket statements suggesting everything a company makes being hard to start means we ought to look at the bigger picture.

Ignition coils need certain RPM's to fire at all. Traditionally, most saws would fire at about 1400-1500 RPM's. Less than that and there's just no spark. Some newer coils fire at 700 RPM's. This is the deal on some of the newer Huskys without a deco on them. Decos have their own downside in that they make the saw easier to pull, but now you're trying to start a saw with minimal compression. A problem that's worse with both new saws that aren't broken in and older saws that might be getting tired.

One thing we can't see here is anyone attempting to start a saw. When I run into this at the store, I usually ask a customer to "show me how you start it". It's then obvious if they are struggling to pull the starter rope. Then I have to diplomatically explain what's going on. As I'm almost 65 myself, I say "we" when talking about getting old. Can't just start the saw and embarrass the guy.

This is something to consider as we get older, among a whole list of things we'll all be dealing with. Part of life.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Online Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2021, 05:58:33 AM »
Chainsaws are like women. They are all sisters  but not identical twins .Some no matter what brand or age you just have to handle differently .Stihl as a whole aren't any harder to start than any other brand .
Three examples ,038 Magnum ,modified .On a cold start maybe 10 pulls .After first start nearly every time on one .Stihl 024 usually 5 or 6  cold ,1  or 2 warm .Husqvarna 2100 CD .Cold  1 with the choke ,after just one no choke else it will flood .maybe 4 or 5 after .BTW you do not want to flood a 99 cc chainsaw with no de-comp . :o
Stihl blower and weed wacker .Usually 3 or 4 prime bulb, choke .They always start easy .

Online Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2021, 06:07:51 AM »
To add to what Spike said what will help is a D-Handle where you can get a good grip on .Of all I've ever used the D from a Stihl 460 rescue saw is the best I've found .
A story on hot mags .My modified 038 mag will fire on a relatively slow pull .It nearly pulled good old Fred ( Stihl Boy ) through the recoil once .I scolded him .Any time you see a D on a chainsaw it's on there for a reason .These are not the trim the apple tree in the back yard twice a year type saws .

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2021, 07:58:00 AM »
I should have said the ms261cm is the sole exception to this starting method.  For a cold start move lever all the way down and crank it.  Let it idle 3-5 minutes and it's ready to work.  For a warm start, don't do anything but pull the rope!
That sounds like an awful long time at idle, I don't think I let mine idle more than 20 seconds before I blip it a time or 2 and get cutting.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2021, 09:06:39 AM »
I could go back in and have coffee if I let my saw warm up for that long!😂😂
Too many irons in the fire

Offline 421Altered

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2021, 12:53:43 PM »
Maybe I'm letting mine idle too long.  I know a 2 stroke air cooled engine is different than a 4 stroke water cooled engine.  But, I was thinking with the longer idle time that the bearings, piston and rings would be pretty much heat soaked before I started making heavy cuts with the saw, thereby helping the saw to last many more years.

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2021, 01:25:40 PM »
I wouldn't say what you are doing is incorrect, just that most of us are too impatient to leave ours idling😊
Too many irons in the fire

Online Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2021, 08:54:58 PM »
The Amsoil crowd give me the raspberries about my old school 32 to 1 mix .They fail to realize my saws seldom idle so how could they carbon up ? ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Stihl hard to start

Started by caveman on Chainsaws

6 Replies
Last post December 03, 2018, 10:53:53 PM
by caveman
xx
Stihl 026 quits, hard to start

Started by Jim Davis on Chainsaws

17 Replies
Last post December 27, 2020, 06:29:04 AM
by Al_Smith
thumbdown
Stihl 025 hard to start ... fault of the IRS...

Started by TexasTimbers on Chainsaws

4 Replies
Last post March 21, 2005, 08:26:05 PM
by Engineer
question
Stihl 026 Over-Revving, Bogging, and Hard to Start

Started by ReggieT on Chainsaws

12 Replies
Last post June 08, 2020, 03:25:27 PM
by ladylake