iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thickness of Barn Siding

Started by jbjbuild, June 21, 2021, 10:52:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbjbuild

I have a friend that is building a small barn and wants me to mill the boards for the siding. Its going to be board and baton. He's not sure if he wants me to mill them to 3/4" or 1" thick.
Is there a typical thickness that siding is milled at.
Thanks! 
Woodmizer LT35HD, John Deere 790, Logrite Cant Hook

btulloh

I think it depends on the size and scale of the barn and the girt spacing. If it's an 8-10 ft wall with girts 24-30" apart I'd go with 3/4 or 13/16. Older barns with 4ft or so girt spacing, I'd go 1" on the siding. Just my .02. 
HM126

alan gage

I've been cutting mine (personal use) at 7/8", which is easy to do with no simpleset by dropping down 1" at a time on the regular inch scale.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

BradMarks

Putting it down with screws or nails?  Width of bat makes a difference in splitting, as increasing thickness will require longer nails or screws. Nails generally the shank gets bigger as it gets longer. Screws are a little bigger to begin with. Pre drill the holes to keep this from happening.

jb616

I am building a board and batten shed myself, 12 x 18 and I am planning on using ring shank galvanized nails. I cut mine 4/4. For the flooring, I cut them 5/4. 

btulloh

Ring shank nails do hold well. Thing is, they're called ring shank. With battens the nails go through the batten then air equal to the siding thickness and finally into the girt or strapping, so a three inch nail would only be one inch into the underlying nailing surface. Normally you need 1.5" penetration for proper holding power, so with 1" siding and 1" battens you would use 3.5" nails. That's why I use screws on the battens and rink shank nails on the siding and things stay tight. I usually saw my battens a little thinner than the siding also. Just throwing it out there as food for thought.
HM126

moodnacreek

There is alot to consider, most of it not important.  1" is the tradition.  3/4 is all you need. Carpenter bees: some say they don't bother 5/8".  The type of wood, may crack and curl if sawn in summer and sawn too thin especially wide boards.

WV Sawmiller

Moody,

I had never heard that about carpenter bees. Interesting observation.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Don P

Their tunnel won't fit  :). 5/8x6 poplar clapboard was very common here.
I usually saw a scant 1-1/8 and plane to 7/8 for B&B with 3/4 thick battens.

thecfarm

I myself like the looks of one inch boards. But once in place, who can tell. 
I also like the looks of a full 2x whatever. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jbjbuild

Thanks for all the responses. A lot of good information.
Woodmizer LT35HD, John Deere 790, Logrite Cant Hook

scsmith42

Quote from: btulloh on June 21, 2021, 12:32:43 PM
Ring shank nails do hold well. Thing is, they're called ring shank. With battens the nails go through the batten then air equal to the siding thickness and finally into the girt or strapping, so a three inch nail would only be one inch into the underlying nailing surface. Normally you need 1.5" penetration for proper holding power, so with 1" siding and 1" battens you would use 3.5" nails. That's why I use screws on the battens and rink shank nails on the siding and things stay tight. I usually saw my battens a little thinner than the siding also. Just throwing it out there as food for thought.
Same here.
To my customers I typically recommend a 7/8" board thickness and a 3/4" batten thickness so as to allow use of a standard nail gun for both the boards and the battens.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Rhodemont

Milled all the EWP 2 years ago for my son to build a garage (columns are oak).  10 inch wall boards were milled at 1 1/16.  After better part of a year of air dry they shrunk to 1 x 9.5.  A bit more expensive but using decking screws to secure.  Battens will be 3/4 x 3 with deck screws as well.  Had him run a water board of PT on the bottom to reduce rot from splash.  Also priming ends.  Getting there.

Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

Thank You Sponsors!