The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Cutting down cottonwoods  (Read 1876 times)

Offline snobdds

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Cutting down cottonwoods
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2021, 10:57:30 AM »
I know, there are other and more modern options.  I guess at this point I am going to try every big saw I can to see what cuts these the best.  So far I just stay on top of the dead trees and fallen branches with an 880 and 461.  However I like my 461 at the cabin for those trees, so I'm always taking it back and forth.  My dealer has a new 395 and 3120 in stock, might pick those up to try out.  Here is my endless supply of wood...

[br /
]

Offline Real1shepherd

• Share Post
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2021, 11:12:32 AM »
Yeah, old Cottonwoods are at the end of their lives all over NA.

I look at it like rather than something really new....use something from the later 70's and 80's that we used in the PNW for large bark timber. No EPA restrictions to speak of and not hard or rare to find. Prices would indicate that a CP125, for example, is hard to find in running condition.

As I said in another thread, the 3120 carbs can be modified to put in an adjustable HIGH spd jet.....and depending on which model coil you have, an 'unlimited' module if you want. The only advantage of a 3120 over a 2100/2101 is that they are still made and most parts available. Some have said the crank on the 3120 won't withstand high rpm's....so you'd have to be careful there.

Kevin

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2021, 04:05:26 PM »
It looks like a catch 22 situation .You could pony up a kings ransom for modern high cube saw .You could try and find a vintage super saw but keeping in mind if you do you had better be a mechanic and resourceful  also .Then you have to ask yourself just how many 4 feet in diameter cottonwood trees will you cut .
You don't really need 60 inches of bar and 100 plus cc's of power for a 4 foot tree .An 80 cc and a 32"bar would do the job just be a little slower .Then again it it's for bragging rights go for the gusto . :) 

Offline Real1shepherd

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2021, 05:24:06 PM »
Not about bragging rights, it's efficiency. A big cc saw with enough grunt/torque to run a 36" bar will easily cut up to a 6' Cottonwood. And you'll have a bar length more versatile than a 60".  

I have vintage 80-87cc Jonsereds saws with 28"-32" bars. But if I was cutting anything over 3' diameter, I defect to a larger cc saws. That's what they were made for and when saws like the Husky 2100/2101/3120 really come into their own. Just to say that vintage, big cc modern saws are just shelf queens, belies what they can do in decent timber.

We're not talking about average size today's timber for the average Joe.....we're talking about OG Cottonwoods and their removal.

Kevin

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2021, 05:54:11 PM »
Just how many cottonwoods are 6 feet in diameter ? Plus just how many would a normal person cut ? Maybe I'm mistaken living on the eastern side of the USA but our eastern black cottonwoods seldom get to 6 feet in diameter .3 to 4 feet would be more in line and 100 feet tall .As far as large cubic inch saws you can  cut firewood with them as far as I'm concerned .Good exercise if nothing else . ;D

Offline farmfromkansas

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2021, 07:15:11 PM »
When cottonwood trees get that big in Kansas, they blow over.  
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Offline Owtlaw

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2021, 09:09:51 PM »
I have one that I am going to have to remove that is just over 7 ft in diameter.  The bottom limb is 40".  I think I will get a 42" bar for my 395 and be patient with it.

Offline snobdds

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2021, 09:58:45 PM »
Next time I walk the dog I'll snap a picture of a tree, actually 4 of them growing together, that has to be 10 feet across.   I have sit and stared at that tree for awhile and I still have no idea how to drop it.   It's leaning towards a  irrigation value to further complicate things.  

At this point it's either a huge saw or dynamite.  

Offline Skeans1

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2021, 05:15:59 AM »
I have one that I am going to have to remove that is just over 7 ft in diameter.  The bottom limb is 40".  I think I will get a 42" bar for my 395 and be patient with it.
A 395 will pull a 42 without issues Ive ran them more then I care to admit. Even at 7 you could still use a 36 bar its just a different technique no scratch faces allowed when using a short bar in big wood.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2021, 08:18:47 AM »
do not skimp on equipment.  I took out a double stem CW from my yard.  i always take out the root ball.  cry once. the root ball would not fit down in my 5 yard dump truck but sat up on the rails.  going around the final turn off the highway it felt like it unloaded the springs on the inside corner.  may me pucker a bit.  it weighed 12,000 pounds.  had to make a dirt ramp and roll it up into/onto the dump bed.    with over 100% moisture content, this is heavy wood until dry.  I use it for pallets and other utility projects.  it can be pretty..  used commercially for caskets.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Real1shepherd

• Share Post
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2021, 11:09:41 AM »
ALL the OG Cottonwoods I take here(and in CO) started at 4' diameter and went to 7' or more. The reason I'm asked to take them is because they've become 'problem' trees and are at the end of their lifespan. Their giant branches come down in storms, take out fences, out buildings and even dwellings. They pose a real nuisance and safety issues.

However, I'm not saying to race out and buy a new or vintage muscle saw just to take down the trees on your own place. I'm only commenting on the USE of a large cc modern saws in taking OG Cottonwood down.

"Modern" meaning direct/clutch drive and ported design. Older saws would be reed valves, gear drive etc.

Kevin  

Offline Real1shepherd

• Share Post
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2021, 11:18:45 AM »
Next time I walk the dog I'll snap a picture of a tree, actually 4 of them growing together, that has to be 10 feet across.   I have sit and stared at that tree for awhile and I still have no idea how to drop it.   It's leaning towards a  irrigation value to further complicate things.  

At this point it's either a huge saw or dynamite.  
If it's a bad leaner....after you do your face cut, bore cut the final fellin' cut. YouTube vids on this and even Buckin' Billy shows the 'how to' on this. It's definitely a safety issue as the tree could splinter and slab if felled conventionally.

Kevin

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2021, 01:52:36 PM »
Most of them in this area simply became hazards . None I know of are dropped for commercial reasons for lumber . Although decades ago some were sawn for corn cribs back when they raised and stored corn still on the cob . I suppose 40-50 years ago they just started out as a little sapling and became hazards over the years .Kind of like "Jack and the bean stalk ".I get them in my raised bed gardens like weeds but let me say they certainly aren't as easy to up root ,tough little things .I get little hickory and oaks ,walnuts  too .Squirrels are natures little tree planters you know .

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2021, 02:05:05 PM »
they grow fast as they are in the poplar family.  only live a hundred years or so then decline.  a branch may be 3 feet in diameter, and be 75 feet long.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2021, 02:25:31 PM »
Speaking of long branches I have a white oak that did that .It dropped a big one last year from a clump of three in a crouch .Just 4 days ago it blew out another big one my lady friend just happened to see .It barely missed my neighbors building .The third is nearly straight up but right over where I park my Jeep .So after the leaves fall it looks like I'm going to play Paul Bunyan again .
Those two big heavy branches I'm going to have fire up my dozer to even get to them, tangled up mess .My little Ferguson tractor doesn't stand a chance of moving them .

Offline Real1shepherd

• Share Post
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2021, 04:33:31 PM »
they grow fast as they are in the poplar family.  only live a hundred years or so then decline.  a branch may be 3 feet in diameter, and be 75 feet long.
They sure do grow fast....especially near a water and/or sewage source.

As I said earlier, lots of guys with equipment trailers find the wood great for the trailer floors. When wet and muddy, the floors still have some grip. That's about the only time I know for sure when the stuff is milled.

Don't know how Cottonwood burns in a wood stove, but I never see the wood for sale as cord wood. I'm sure somebody here has tried it?

Kevin

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2021, 04:49:38 PM »
What little I've had were just some of the stuff one of the trimmers dropped off .Small maybe 18-20 inch .I just used it to test my version of a race chain .I burned the cookies which were dry as a popcorn fart .Like any wood they did produce heat .

Offline thriceor

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2021, 09:05:40 PM »
I know, there are other and more modern options.  I guess at this point I am going to try every big saw I can to see what cuts these the best.  So far I just stay on top of the dead trees and fallen branches with an 880 and 461.  However I like my 461 at the cabin for those trees, so I'm always taking it back and forth.  My dealer has a new 395 and 3120 in stock, might pick those up to try out.  Here is my endless supply of wood...

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)
[br /
](Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

Beautiful pictures.  Is the irrigation system still functional?
...I'd rather trust a man who works with his hands,
He looks at you once, you know he understands...

Genesis- "The Chamber of 32 Doors"

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2021, 12:44:56 AM »
CW does not make coals, and has about 18 million BTUs per cord.  oak and mulberry are about 25, and hedge is 32 million BTUs per cord.  still more than the soft wood they burn all winter in Alaska cause that is all they have.  they would love some cottonwood.  we use it and ERC scraps for chimenea and camp fire wood.  burns fast and lots of light and flame for an ornament fire.  ERC smells good.  I will try to plane a bit of CW and take a pic.

Offline donbj

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2021, 01:45:43 AM »
do not skimp on equipment.  I took out a double stem CW from my yard.  i always take out the root ball.  cry once. the root ball would not fit down in my 5 yard dump truck but sat up on the rails.  going around the final turn off the highway it felt like it unloaded the springs on the inside corner.  may me pucker a bit.  it weighed 12,000 pounds.  had to make a dirt ramp and roll it up into/onto the dump bed.    with over 100% moisture content, this is heavy wood until dry.  I use it for pallets and other utility projects.  it can be pretty..  used commercially for caskets.
Try dynamite! A work associate in a past life had a case of dynamite he had to get rid of because he was being transferred and for obvious reason couldn't throw it in the back of the truck and take it along. I had about 6 large cottonwood stumps to remove and he had a plan. It got interesting. I had a small dozer and my three point hitch hoe and we dug out under the stumps as best we could. We had 24 sticks on the last stump we blew. Groups of six in 4 spots under the stump. Those cottonwoods are tough nuts! It lifted the stumps but it was splayed out like a flower on the ground. It quartered the stump and splayed it out. I still had to take the dozer and dig the roots out. The tense times were misjudging the distance the debri would fly. My freind said "take my truck to the back of your property and I'll take cover over there". Well, when the charge hit I was looking skyward and all I thought was OH %^&*. Things and roots and rocks were flying over the truck into the neighbors property. I thought for sure I was in for some body damage repair on his truck and whatever on my neighbors. My next thought was my friend hiding behind a tree. Fortunately we both came out fine. Got the stumps cleaned up and disposed of a case of powder.
Another story with the extra blasting caps and fuse is a good one.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Cottonwoods

Started by Striker on Sawmills and Milling

6 Replies
Last post August 14, 2004, 06:36:31 PM
by Kevin_H.
xx
Swamp land Cottonwoods

Started by CCC4 on Forestry and Logging

8 Replies
Last post June 08, 2014, 09:58:54 PM
by Red Elm
xx
A link to a video cutting first try cutting 2X6 with ripping chain.

Started by richhiway on Sawmills and Milling

1 Replies
Last post March 03, 2015, 05:31:24 PM
by Southside
xx
Hinge cutting vs just cutting off

Started by braucher on Ask The Forester

11 Replies
Last post March 18, 2019, 04:30:34 PM
by TKehl