iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 562xp West Coast or East Coast Setup?

Started by weimedog, August 11, 2021, 03:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHansen

It is auto tune.  Idles and runs great.  Good work horse of a saw.  Only issue is a hot restart after refueling.  I have to set the choke and pull once. It pops and I push the choke in.  Pull again and it fires, revs up for 3-5 seconds and died.   I have to full choke again, pull once it pops, push in choke and it fires up, revs up 3-5 seconds and stalls.  I repeat this about four times and she stays running.   If I shut it off hot and do not refuel the saw, it restarts fine.  And no need to full choke.  It's weird, I tried a new fuel pump.  It's not a huge issue, just annoying. 

Spike60

I can happily say that the hot start issue has more or less gone away. The newer 545/550 M2's and the 565/572 never really had it to begine with. And the 562 improvements have raised the threshold to where you aren't going to see a problem until the ambient temp gets up around 90° F.

Basing that of course on how many complaints I get from customers. Used to be plenty of them in warm weather. Those occasional complaints that I do see are always from guys working in very hot weather. So a couple days in the 90's and sure enough some saws roll in with hot start complaints. And not all auto-tune by any means either; had a 346 show up last week. At this point, I just say there's nothing I can do, it's gonna happen on 90 degree days. Had it happen to me with an old 55.

Couple lessons over the years. The fast idle position makes a big difference. Even on non-AT saws, but most important on the AT's. The full trigger "throw start" is not a good idea unless the saw is flooded. Which can happen when guys get frustrated and put the choke on.

And this advice from one of my tree servive customers who was doing a tree job in that hot weather: They had 4 saws; 2 Huskys and 2 stihls. All of them were having hot start problems. Believe it or not, the solution was to set them down in the shade instead of in the sun. Then all 4 saws started fine. Sounds too easy, doesn't it? But sometimes it's just a matter of a few degrees making all the difference. Think of the difference between parking your truck in the sun or in the shade. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

weimedog

Must be a statistical thing as well as none of mine have shown a hot stat issue. This summer I've had a couple of 90 degree days as well with the 562 and 565. Neither showed that quirk.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Real1shepherd

Quote from: Spike60 on August 23, 2021, 07:19:29 AM
I can happily say that the hot start issue has more or less gone away. The newer 545/550 M2's and the 565/572 never really had it to begine with. And the 562 improvements have raised the threshold to where you aren't going to see a problem until the ambient temp gets up around 90° F.

Basing that of course on how many complaints I get from customers. Used to be plenty of them in warm weather. Those occasional complaints that I do see are always from guys working in very hot weather. So a couple days in the 90's and sure enough some saws roll in with hot start complaints. And not all auto-tune by any means either; had a 346 show up last week. At this point, I just say there's nothing I can do, it's gonna happen on 90 degree days. Had it happen to me with an old 55.

Couple lessons over the years. The fast idle position makes a big difference. Even on non-AT saws, but most important on the AT's. The full trigger "throw start" is not a good idea unless the saw is flooded. Which can happen when guys get frustrated and put the choke on.

And this advice from one of my tree servive customers who was doing a tree job in that hot weather: They had 4 saws; 2 Huskys and 2 stihls. All of them were having hot start problems. Believe it or not, the solution was to set them down in the shade instead of in the sun. Then all 4 saws started fine. Sounds too easy, doesn't it? But sometimes it's just a matter of a few degrees making all the difference. Think of the difference between parking your truck in the sun or in the shade. :)
I mentioned this before about the old Jonsereds....on hot days loggin';if you don't park them in the shade after shutting off, you'll have the devil to pay. I see that this carries over into modern saws even today.

Kevin

Spike60

Quote from: weimedog on August 23, 2021, 07:23:24 AM
Must be a statistical thing as well as none of mine have shown a hot stat issue. This summer I've had a couple of 90 degree days as well with the 562 and 565. Neither showed that quirk.
Of course it is. And neither have any of mine this summer. 550M2, 562, 555, 565; and the 555 is an early model. 
We've stressed many times in the videos that folks shouldn't think in absolutes with any of this stuff. But it's common that people want to apply a characteristic, be it good or bad, to all of them. Some folks are wired to think that way, and fear that a problem that they read about will affect their saw. Some people, no matter what breaks or wears out ask, "Is this a known problem?" Replied to some guy last week that it's a "known problem" that if you put a lot of miles on your Audi, you'll have to spend $1500 on tires. I am SO ready to retire.  :D
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Tacotodd

Bob, from my retail experience, it's IMPOSSIBLE to please everyone all of the time, THEY JUST DON'T GET IT. Like that person that I had one time that came in and asked me what an O2 sensor in the exhaust is for & she gave me a go to Hades look when I told her that it's for measuring how much O2 was in the exhaust! Boys, I DON'T miss retail! But I DO miss talking to my REALISTIC customers, because we often had conversations that didn't have anything to do with replacement auto parts. THAT'S what I miss 
Trying harder everyday.

Sprinter

As long as we are off topic, in the old days tractors had a water tank next to the gas with a petcock to allow water to drip into the manifold. Once the engine was hot enough a little water allowed you to use steam power. Don't know if it was farmer or engineer but it worked. 

Tacotodd

I'm thinking that it's for helping the engine to self chip the carbon off of different parts of the combustion chamber, but chainsaws don't even idle at many old gas tractor engines at full tilt. But that's information that I was told so it may or may not be correct. I just don't know. But still interesting no matter what it's for ;)
Trying harder everyday.

Tacotodd

Trying harder everyday.

mike_belben

steam clean will keep the rings and valves unfouled. youd just have to be sure you are only running water injection under heavy load.  im gonna call it a long term maintenance item on a tractor. 

it also is used to this day on high power turbocharged gas and diesel race toys.  on a gasser you can run more spark advance and not hit detonation or melt the turbine wheel off.. its a sort of combustion coolant and flame speed retardant.  if you add methanol to the water mix there is also a power additive function.  some will spray nitrous into a turbine housing just to get enough fire for the monsterous turbo to actually get spooled up on engine thats too small.  we talking 50 60 80 + psi.  outrageous stuff. power that explodes girdled blocks and makes heads come through hoods.  restraint straps on engine parts.  

diesels can get away with more pump timing under crazy boost with water, or also added power on water meth (washer fluid) or straight meth or nitrous to spool ridiculous turbos also. 

im a decade removed from being really good at explaining race toys so forgive me if theres something in there ive fudged a little, or newer better tech out i no longer care about. 
Praise The Lord

DHansen

Spike and others, thank you for the information and comments.  And yes, it has been when the saw has been if full sun and running hard.  Hot soak condition.  Dumb of me, I always keep the gas can in the shade.  Makes sense to put the saw there also.  And we have been having a unusually hot summer.  I really do appreciate the great advice, thank you.

lxskllr

Maybe a small white cloth draped over the top would help when it's parked. It could do double duty as a sweat rag and a saw cover. Wipe off sweat, and dry it on the saw. Use 100% cotton so it doesn't melt, and watch the muffler.

Tacotodd

@mike_belben thank you very much for the response & detailed information. As always, it's just good to see you on the chainsaw threads because we're not blessed with your presence very often.
Trying harder everyday.

Real1shepherd

Quote from: DHansen on August 23, 2021, 12:43:09 PM
Spike and others, thank you for the information and comments.  And yes, it has been when the saw has been if full sun and running hard.  Hot soak condition.  Dumb of me, I always keep the gas can in the shade.  Makes sense to put the saw there also.  And we have been having a unusually hot summer.  I really do appreciate the great advice, thank you.
It was pretty easy to see when I was loggin';parked in the sun, unscrew the gas cap and you'd sometimes see the gas 'boiling'....park in the shade and there's were no issues. Because the saws were hard to start in the sun, I'd instinctively always checked the gas tank for fuel. Then is dawned on me that saws parked in the shade never had any hot restart issues.....lol.  

Kevin

DHansen

I apologise for the major thread drift. And appreciate the education.  

So do I need a full wrap handle? !

weimedog

Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Thank You Sponsors!