iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another Gem

Started by donbj, August 18, 2021, 10:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donbj

Quote from: sawguy21 on August 20, 2021, 12:00:00 PM
Hmm, three hour drive so it's prolly not far from me. :D I'm a sucker for the big cube saws too.
Actually it was in the other direction toward Creston. Got lucky on this one!
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Al_Smith

Three things .First they certainly have enough power. They have a super amount of compression ,mine wears a D-handle .Starting depends on the saw ,mine floods easily  .Cold start one pull   with the choke then get off it and usually a few more and it lights off .Warm start no choke usually one gets it then .I predict you're going to like it . :)

DHansen

HolmenTree

Quote from: donbj on August 20, 2021, 10:12:49 PM
Quote from: sawguy21 on August 20, 2021, 12:00:00 PM
Hmm, three hour drive so it's prolly not far from me. :D I'm a sucker for the big cube saws too.
Actually it was in the other direction toward Creston. Got lucky on this one!
Very nice donbj, it must be the last year 2100CD from 1986-1987 as that was about the time when Husqvarna introduced the XP decals. And yours looks like a earlier XP decal as they later ended up being a single blue XP.
If I'm not mistaken I think the Canadian 2100CD were the only ones that were labeled XP.
1988 the 2101XP was introduced with the blue XP decal on top cover and rewind  housing badge.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

donbj

Thanks for the info HolmenTree. Appreciated. I'll snap a photo of the serial tag this evening and post it.

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Real1shepherd

Super nice 2100, Don!! ;D

Don't think that's the original AF cover, but that's very typical in these saws after all the yrs. Yeah, go by the serial#, not the XP decal on the cover. I have an earlier 2100 and it has the XP sticker cover because it's a replacement

Lots of guys on the forums have traced these saws by their production serial #'s. I think I even saw a database once from a spreadsheet. I've lost that over the yrs.

Point being is that there are folks out there that can nail the production yr of your saw. XP SEM's modules were available as early 80-81. When they started with the decals I don't remember. Again, it's fairly well documented.

Toss the chain brake....lol, to make it a real production saw from back in the day.  

Kevin

Real1shepherd

Oh and don't get caught up in the way the Swedes vented these big saw tanks. It's over-complicated, ridiculous and all the parts are NLA. Some folks have come up with some very simple alternatives....they would even make the Swede engineers blush.

Kevin

donbj

Here's the tag on the saw. Date couldn't be easier to sort, 1984  013231

Real1shepherd

Both my old 2100's start with 2991 and then the serial. Obviously, Husky made it easier by the time they got to your saw.

Old Jonsereds.....we've never figured out their serial # system. Only thing you can tell is if it's an early, mid or late production run just by the size of the number. If there's a code in there for dates, we never cracked it.

Not necessarily specific to the 2100, but someone posted on AS that the first digit on the serial is the yr, the second two digits the week.....on the saws that don't have the date stamp like yours. I'm not sure that even works on the 2100's......someone else said that 1984 was the first yr they started stamping the date code first.???  

Kevin

donbj

Is that for just the 2100's. My little 44 has a 1983 date.

Real1shepherd

Quote from: donbj on August 22, 2021, 02:34:33 PM
Is that for just the 2100’s. My little 44 has a 1983 date.

I don't know the answer to that....but you're blessed to have the date code stamped easily to read.....lol. 

Kevin

Greenhighlander

Absolute beauty of a find .  Congrats 

Tundra550

Did you tell us how much the saw cost you?  thanks

donbj

Quote from: Tundra550 on August 24, 2021, 10:38:50 AM
Did you tell us how much the saw cost you?  thanks
This one was $525 Canadian

Real1shepherd

Probably sold to the weekend warrior back in the day.....notice the absence of the clutch cover dawg.

But the last thing you want is a clapped-out, high hr loggin' saw....lol.

That's about $416USD give or take a few cents. Don't feel bad....some yrs ago a 2101 appeared on eBay that was NIB, found in a closet. US saw....went for over $3,000. I quit watching the bidding after $3,000 because it made my stomach hurt. 

Kevin

donbj

This was pushing my limits but it looked so clean I went for it. Glad I did!

donbj

Prowlin around and picked up a complete 394 with good spark, bad compression. Can't have both, right? :D  The other has some good parts and both have cases with all bumper pad tabs intact. That's sweet!

donbj

Pulled the plug and muffler and took a look. Piston and cylinder actually look good. Maybe just bad rings. Thought what the heck, give it a shot of fuel, and the darn thing fired up! Happy camper!

Real1shepherd

What kinda compression did it have?  Good snag!

Kevin

DHansen

Don, what is your favorite big bore Husqvarna?  Why?

Tacotodd

My answer would be the kind that works & you ain't gotta mess with ;D
Trying harder everyday.

Al_Smith

Rings are relatively inexpensive .New rings, old cylinder will wear in in time ..

donbj

Quote from: Real1shepherd on August 28, 2021, 09:30:07 AM
What kinda compression did it have?  Good snag!

Kevin
By the feel of it I guessed around 100. Felt the same as the 288 I got a few weeks ago. I put the gauge on it before I left this morning just out of curiosity from your question and it sits at 120#. Not bad at all. As Al commented, I think a set of rings is the ticket since the jug looks good from exhaust and plug hole at least. It'll get the good going over when the time comes though.
This one didn't really cost anything, just horse trading what worked. 

donbj

Quote from: DHansen on August 28, 2021, 09:34:05 AM
Don, what is your favorite big bore Husqvarna?  Why?
Good question. The 2100's sit at the top of the list, and not just because Kevin says so :D. I've met a few fallers from back in the day of this era that used them and reading about the history and reputation of them and I became quite intrigued by them. Especially after firing one up and giving it a few runs. There is no better chainsaw sound as it sits idling on the floor as well. Could listen to that all day :D.
The 185CD as well is a beauty in this regard but not as well known I suppose but has the same traits as the 2100. Very strong saw.
The 394's are right up there as #2. What a beast. I don't have the experience using these big cube saws that a professional would, my life has been with 60-70cc saws like my 262xp but I feel from what I have done with them so far they will keep up with or outrun the 2100 when tuned right. But that's just my limited opinion. The one I have running really rips.
Regardless it's a very interesting venture so far. Surprising what's out there.

Real1shepherd

Quote from: donbj on August 28, 2021, 01:24:18 PM
Quote from: DHansen on August 28, 2021, 09:34:05 AM
Don, what is your favorite big bore Husqvarna?  Why?
Good question. The 2100's sit at the top of the list, and not just because Kevin says so :D. I've met a few fallers from back in the day of this era that used them and reading about the history and reputation of them and I became quite intrigued by them. Especially after firing one up and giving it a few runs. There is no better chainsaw sound as it sits idling on the floor as well. Could listen to that all day :D.
The 185CD as well is a beauty in this regard but not as well known I suppose but has the same traits as the 2100. Very strong saw.
The 394's are right up there as #2. What a beast. I don't have the experience using these big cube saws that a professional would, my life has been with 60-70cc saws like my 262xp but I feel from what I have done with them so far they will keep up with or outrun the 2100 when tuned right. But that's just my limited opinion. The one I have running really rips.
Regardless it's a very interesting venture so far. Surprising what's out there.
Lol....the 394 replaced the 2101....so it's a kissing cousin you could say with some serious chops. I've never run one....waiting for some likeable guy up in BC to give me dibs on one...ahem....lol!

The 394 has to be very similar to my Jonsered 2094 and that sucker is the only saw who will ride next to my 2100's....it's that good. Nothing you have will outrun the 2100 in 3' timber or bigger...not my 2094, not your 394 or your 262xp. But under 3' scale there are many saws to outrun the 2100/2101. Save the big dawgs for the big wood. :D

I would polish the jug at least so your fingernail can't catch on any transfers and throw some new Cabers in. After a couple of tankfuls, you should be sitting @145lbs or better. That would be plenty of compression for that saw to work properly.

Randy(mastermind) has some YouTube videos on polishing jugs. I follow what he calls the 'wigglesworth' method. It's totally non-aggressive and you can quit at any time before you get too far into the plating.

Kevin

Thank You Sponsors!