iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whats your opinion of my 2 chainsaw choices?

Started by sofasurfer, August 29, 2021, 04:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sofasurfer

I'm looking at the Poulan Pro 5020 and the Remington RM4620. Remington is a bit cheaper but Poulan has a higher following and a well known reputation. There are two issues that are bothering me.

Remington has the plastic mesh filter that allows fine sawdust through (I saw a video) but on the forums everyone (almost) says this is not an issue.

Poulan seems to have a lot more plastic. I noticed at the store that there seems to be some significant flex between the rear handle assembly and the engine housing.

The flexing Poulan plastic bothers me a lot more than the Remington mesh filter and I probably will get the Remington. So I am just asking for a final opinion before I do it. I like both but Remington goes back to my childhood so I feel familiar with it.

donbj

Depends on what they will be used for. Go for quality if they will be used regularly and you want dependability.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

doc henderson

It matters where you buy it.  so the poulons and maccullas that we know from the past, are often now cheap models with a name we recognize.  If you want high quality, i would go with a brand like stihl.  you can get homeowner models for 300 bucks or so.  and then you have a dealer that can help if it sets for two year (as your handle implies :)) and will not start.  I remember the poulon that had a dirt bike decal and purple plastic color.  I think I saw them at builders square, but I think they went out of business :o.  Stihl or Husqvarna or echo make good saws even in the homowner line.  hard to find a poulon dealer.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

HemlockKing

Go with a quality brand, it will hurt your wallet a bit more, but in the end you will be happy I think.ms250 would be good options for a homeowner.
A1

sawguy21

Poulan is gone, Husqvarna discontinued the brand so there is no support. Remington is a Chinese product flogged by MTD (now Stanley) in North America so again no support. If you are looking for a low cost saw for occasional use around the hacienda a Stihl MS170 or 180 would fill the bill nicely. I don't know what is happening over at Husqvarna as Poulan made their entry level units. Imho nobody else makes anything worth looking at.
EDIT: I had a brain lapse and forgot about Echo, it is reasonably priced and good quality. One of my favourites in the 30-60 cc class. Jonsered made by Husqvarna was suggested but it is gone, Shindaiwa and Red Max are very good quality but obviously out of his price range.
Like most here, I have no patience for cheap disposable tools. They result in lost time, at worst injury, and in the end cost a LOT more.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

lxskllr

I have a newer PoulanPro, and it's barely worth the $75(new) I paid for it. Dunno about Remington, but it isn't something I'd consider. Echo will give you a lot of saw for your money, and it's a known quantity.

axeman2021

Have read bad reviews for the new Poulan, my 13 year Poulan worked well but when I retired it I went with Stihls and feel it was worth the extra money.

Guydreads

I would agree that you might want to consider upgrading your choice. At least don't go with either of those (AT LEAST) go with Craftsman. WAY better than either of those. Still would agree you should try a better brand

sofasurfer

I could never justify the cost of a Stihl, although that would be nice. I never thought of a Craftsman. Thats a name I can live with. I just googled it. You sure have to dig to find the home base of companies now-a-days. It looks like Craftsman is made chinese also (they sure do sneak in don't they) but it also looks like they still have a good reputation and quality.  I youtubed the 20 inch CMXGSAMY462S. Sure does look a lot like many other saws in the layout of the features and controls. Makes a person suspect that they all come from the same place. Anyway, the guys in the videos sure like them and it looks good to me. And the price is about where I live. I'll go see if Lowes or anyone else around here carries it.

donbj

I actually cannot understand where you are coming from in regard to your reasoning about not justifying the cost of a Stihl vs some cheap piece of whatever? What are you going to do with the saw. You haven't clarified that. Best of luck to you.
Maybe the sofa surfer is surfacing
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

realzed

Yea a Stihl ms170 for just one example, is virtually the same price - but whatever I guess..  
'You pays your money - and you takes your chances'..
Maybe he doesn't like anything with 'orange' colour on it!

HemlockKing

Quote from: realzed on August 30, 2021, 01:43:41 AM
Yea a Stihl ms170 for just one example, is virtually the same price - but whatever I guess..  
'You pays your money - and you takes your chances'..
Maybe he doesn't like anything with 'orange' colour on it!
I guess some people like punishing themselves lol 
A1

Greenhighlander

You can get some homeowner models from both stihl and husky fairly cheap .  I have been very happy with my husky 445 . Also don't rule out used.  There are lots of good saws going for the $250-$350 cad range where I am and I would imagine most places are the same.  Just gotta keep your eyes open for them and check the regular things before buying.  

Tacotodd

Many (not all) of the homeowner based Husqvarna are Poulan saws. I'd go with Echo, Stihl or a Shindaiwa. You might even consider Jonsered on Redmax, those are both Husqvarna these days (parent CO) but Redmax is a newkid on the block and you might be able to get what you're looking for at a reasonable price. However you go, good luck in your choice.
Trying harder everyday.

Spike60

Remember that old saying, "Is this what the world's coming to?"  :)

Answer to the original question: Junk and junk. 

Google "parts and service" for those two candidates. Try calling the 800 number and see how easy that's going to work out for you. 

If you can't justify the cost of even the entry level Husky, Stihl, or Echo models, how much do you need, or plan on using a chainsaw? You might want to get yourself a battery saw if your needs are only occasional use. 

The Poulan plastic isn't flexing, it's the anti-vibe springs. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Jakeway

I currently own Echo, Stihl (2), and an old Homelite I got from my step fatehr when he passed away.  I threw away a Poulan that was a total pain to work on.

For light to medium work I like the Echo (I had another Echo years ago) or a Stihl 170.  For heavier use I'd recommend to get a Stihl or Husky.  I'd go with a Chinese clone of Stihl or Husky way before I'd get a Poulan or Remington.

Nathan4104

If it's an occasional use thing Maybe the Dewalt battery saw would be a good choice, if you've any Dewalt battery tools/batteries already? 

snobdds

The old adages of...

Buy once, cry once
and
It's too expensive to be cheap

Come to my mind here. 

weimedog

When I first read this I was thinking Poulan & Remington vintage saws :) Put a smile on my face until I looked at the models. SO three things come to mind. IF you are truly looking for a small saw option, Husqvarna 445, 450 all do pretty well as an alternative. A better option money not an object is a 545, a true pro level chainsaw built for a homeowner. Sold at Tractor supply if there is no dealer who has them in stock.

I don't like recommending saws where parts aren't in a driving distance away. Why I really have a hard time with Echo, Dolmar, and other "off" brands.. I gave up on a local dealer and have to go to the internet on one I have to look at. So it then repair/maintenance gets delayed and if I depended on it would be a pita.

Stihl has options,

Actually the one saw I did get from the internet for cheap and never gave an issue is the Chinese "Joncutter" ( Holzfforma branded stuff ) 5800. NOT the other ones, just that model. Under 200 buck delivered and there is an online following and the two I've tested both went to fire wood operations. Survive to this day.

SO if you are going Chinese low cost THAT one (5800), if you want a real saw the Stihl or Husqvarna options, my preference the Husqvarna 545.

LAST but not least, if pull starting is an issue go with a battery powered option. The new Echo offering is the best from a performance perspective, but yet again both Husqvarna & Still have offerings where there would be dealer support.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Thank You Sponsors!