iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First time with a top handle - what to watch out for?

Started by alan gage, October 06, 2020, 12:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan gage

I bought a new top handle (Stihl 194t) for a lot of trimming/limbing I need to do on my property this fall. All work with the 194t will be done from the air in a boom. Much of the work will be trimming small branches but there are a couple trees close to the house that need to be removed and this will be used to take out the tops before they're cut down to a safer size to drop.

I'm no stranger to chainsaws and cutting but this will be my first time using a top handle. I'd be happy to listen to any warnings and do/do nots. I'm not really worried about getting the job done safely but I'm also aware that most injuries come from things you don't expect and that most learning comes from mistakes. So I'd like to keep the things I don't expect to a minimum and prefer to do as much learning from other people's mistakes as possible. :)

What I expect at this point is that running a top handle saw in the air should be relatively straight forward as most of the limbs will be hanging out in the air and it should be pretty easy to anticipate the loads and direction of fall (down). But I'll need to keep my eyes open and be sure the limb I'm working on isn't crossed up with another that may result in a load other than expected which could close the kerf on my saw.

I anticipate my biggest risk of injury will be to the hand/arm of my non-cutting arm that's holding the branch. And the reason for this hand/arm getting cut would be from a pinched bar that causes the saw to jump out of the cut or kickback from the tip contacting another branch behind the one I'm cutting.

If I pay attention to these things should I be in good shape? Are there unexpected situations I'm not thinking of?

Thanks,

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

lxskllr

Don't hold and cut. If you that, it's a matter of when, not if you get bitten. Try to keep both hands on the saw. There's times it makes sense to one-hand it, but pay particular attention when you do. Don't become complacent.

Al_Smith

I don't actually know if they are more dangerous or not. Depends on who is telling that I suppose .A good one like a Stihl MS 200t will have a nearly neutral  balance .It won't be nose heavy or tail heavy . They could have a tendency  to kick back from the nose so watch how that tip is running in the cut .
Fact we used to race them in cants at a GTG .Soup them up just like a larger saw .I've seen some with tuned pipes even .Fact I've got an old Mini Mac 110 with a pipe but it won't out cut a 200T just makes more noise . :D I wouldn't be surprised if I don't have 8 or 10 top handles from a number of manufactures .Most would run but I'm sure they all did at one time or another .

slider

December will be 10 years working out of a bucket with a top handle . They are like any chain saw respect them and be careful .i have been bit once and most of the time i saw with one hand . it is too slow in our business to tie off on every limb . I would get a lanyard to tie to the saw but not to you,i have dropped 2 one survived.
193,s and 194,s will blow crank seals and it is half the price of the saw to fix them.
They are much easier to crank in the bucket than a 461.
If you are as lucky as me and have a nurse for a wife and get bit just go home have a beer lay down on the porch and let her get the needle and thread out. 
I like your project ,what bucket truck are you using.
al glenn

Tin Horse

Of  3 different size saws I run the smallest is my Husqvarna 540XP as my favorite. Light and easy to handle. However there's a tendency for one hand use while limbing thick downed tree tops mixed in with saplings under tension. I've had no issues ever until recently. While trimming small branches a sapling released and redirected the bar towards my left hand as I was pulling brush away. Touched the tip of my left thumb. Cut the skin through my glove and trimmed my fingernail. Could have been much worse. Being left handed I'd rather keep that thumb. As mentioned earlier; complacency.
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

U696791

Would anyone have a shop manual and parts diagram/parts list for the Stihl MS194T?  I have a 194T in need of some parts and maint.

Thanks,

Dave.

beenthere

U696791
Welcome back to the Forestry Forum.

Answer likely the same as you rec'd before.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=95312.msg1469470#msg1469470

For my excellent and knowledgeable Stihl dealer with his own shop for 45 years, I hope he can hold his own and stay in business. His problem, tries to help everyone and can't bring himself to charge for his time. Stihl can't send him parts and products. Either from supplying the multitude of other box stores and hardware stores with Stihl products and/or shipping problems.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawguy21

First of all welcome aboard. The top handle has its place with an experienced operator but it is not intended as a one hand saw, if it kicks back there is no way to activate the brake. If you are clearing branches away as you cut tender fleshy parts tend to come in contact with the chain, I refused to sell them to consumers. In fact in the U.K. compensation regulations won't allow their use on the ground
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

mike_belben

Ive had my 194t brake come on many many times with one hand.  Itll trip just by jarring it too hard. Im almost exclusively a one hand cutter in brushy stuff.  Left hand on the brush, right hand on saw.

The biggest part of you at risk with a top handle is your face because they can do a real somersault and climb your chest pretty easy if you drop one. Just dropping a spinning saw in general.  With only one hand its twice as likely youll lose control of it compared to a 2 hander.  Keep it out of the plane of your face, dont cut on the push side at the tip and dont expect it to have the power of your 372 because it dont.

For a climber a lot of the danger is either accidentally cutting your lanyard, or having a heavy limb that cuts too slow - due to a wimpy slow tophandle -swing down and knock your gaff out of the tree.  Now youre suddendly freefalling with a running chainsaw and it can end up anywhere. Chest face throat leg arm.  Your ropes pull you straight into the tree when a gaff out occurs.. Youll stop the running chain with your body and have no ability to stay in control or get away. Gravity and rope pulls you straight in with 2x your strength.
Praise The Lord

GAB

Quote from: slider on October 06, 2020, 04:40:10 PM
If you are as lucky as me and have a nurse for a wife and get bit just go home have a beer lay down on the porch and let her get the needle and thread out.
BEER!
Any movie I've seen where a medical issue was being tended to they used much higher octane drinks.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Tacotodd

Quote from: GAB on October 12, 2021, 08:17:24 PM

Any movie I've seen where a medical issue was being tended to they used much higher octane drinks.
GAB
Quite often unmixed as well, AKA straight from da bottle! Bottoms 🆙 
Trying harder everyday.

Al_Smith

Now I like my beer fact being I'm one of Budweisers' best customers .Saying that what I don't do is use power equipment and enjoy a brew at the same time .One exception which doesn't work well .Mowing a two acre field on a Toro zero turn with a ride like going down a rail road track on a buck board bouncing on the cross ties .Turns all the beer into foam .Not a good plan .

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Old saw fixer

A cold Bud and a Camel coffin nail would be nice but alas... I'm going to keep my seat belt buckled while I ride the wagon.  I sure miss it all, though!
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

Thank You Sponsors!