iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Vintage McCulloch

Started by JT77, September 25, 2021, 05:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JT77

Hi all, and thanks for having me.
I'm fairly new to saws but in my short experience with them have founded a much loved hobby in keeping myself and family warm and discovered the beauty in vintage saws, I now have 5 of them 3 of which are a 1963 mccolloch 380, 2 60's 151's a 60's stihl contra lightning and a 60's workmate. (Mac 15 copy).
I'm currently in the middle of rebuilding one of the 151's which I have a new piston and rings coming for however I'm in the search for crank seals and connecting rod needle bearings but cannot find part numbers to hunt down replacements.
If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated. I plan to use the saw regularly so I'd rather not reuse the old bearings. I do have a shop manual but it does not mention part numbers for the bearings only what type were used.
Thanks in advance. JT

Al_Smith

Never fear when Al is here ;D.From the IPL which only lists two seals. Clutch side Mac number 104128 which cross references with CR 7414 .I assume the second side listed is the flywheel side being Mc number 104432 crosses to Cr 6816 .I didn't look but often using the CR numbers you can find them on e-bay usually reasonable in price .

Al_Smith

More I wouldn't get too worried about the bearings unless you can feel they are worn out .McCulloch reed valve engines were built to last forever and it will have good robust bearings .I've never seen a reed valve Mac with bad bearings and seldom any Mac with bad seals and those were 10-10 series ,clutch side .Perhaps that says something contrary to the  thin ratio of oil mix to gasoline some favor these days .Oil wars got to love them  8)

fossil

Quote from: Al_Smith on September 25, 2021, 06:52:59 PM
Never fear when Al is here ;D.From the IPL which only lists two seals. Clutch side Mac number 104128 which cross references with CR 7414 .I assume the second side listed is the flywheel side being Mc number 104432 crosses to Cr 6816 .I didn't look but often using the CR numbers you can find them on e-bay usually reasonable in price .
Are you sure about the CR6816 seal?  That's for a shaft dia of .688"
Tim

Al_Smith

The IPL is a tad unclear however those are the only two seals listed for the 1-51.There are also two bearings listed for the flywheel side ,a ball bearing and a needle bearing .On that I'm not certain which would be which and perhaps depends on the year of manufacture .Now saying all that this exact subject is on another web forum and that was the popular opinions by people who know a lot more about them  than I do .My personal reference came from the CR master interchange book published by Bearings Inc .All that being said while I've seen a few of the 1-xx series I've never worked on one .
Evidently the 1-- series was between the D-44 and those like the 250 etc . Not a rare saw but certainly restorable .Mac saws IMO are the easiest to find replacement parts for because with few exceptions used SAE sized  components .Unlike some I've restored that took longer to find the parts than it did for the entire restoration job .Then again if were easy anybody could do it . 8)

Al_Smith

The subject of seals can get into some long winded conversations .For general info the CR numbers for the same size could vary with regards to type lip design, material sealing types and a number of other things .In some cases those could interchange by size .
Off topic but I found the illusive clutch side seal using generic size for the obsolete Stihl 042 and 048 seals  which were thought to be nonexistent .It really wasn't that hard to do .As it worked out on that I have one left but kept the info in case i need more in the future .Remember ,Google is your friend .

Thank You Sponsors!