iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any way to preserve this

Started by 21incher, October 21, 2021, 12:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

Moving firewood today I found a chunk of cherry that has a beautiful orange fungus growing from it that feels like spray foam. Would like to preserve it to be used in a project and wondering if anyone has tried preserving something like this. It is solid and I was thinking about trying to use an epoxy pour but it probably would need some kind of sealant first. This is what it looks like and it seems ot have a high moisture content from all the rain this summer. 

Just figured I would see if anyone has tried this before as it would be a great part of a project
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Dan_Shade

Probably not the idea you're looking for, but maybe make a mold and cast with silicone?

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

bags

It might be best to ask your question over on a taxidermy form--- I know they have sealants that are used on fresh caught fish without gut'in or skin'in--- Taxidermy Net comes to mind right off---theres some top knot stuffers over there.

Jeff

That sure is purty I photgraphed some beauties this fall too.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

LeeB

The dry well and hold their color well too. Lindy uses them all the time in her craft stuff.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

21incher

It definitely has been a great year for fungus with all the rain. I have a ton of those small ones that look  like shells also.

Quote from: LeeB on October 24, 2021, 11:31:31 PM
The dry well and hold their color well too. Lindy uses them all the time in her craft stuff.
Thanks LeeB. I was afraid if I let it dry it would loose the color and fall apart. I put it in the garage to start drying  now and will see what happens.  Going to break a piece off when dry and see if epoxy will harden it .
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

newoodguy78

It'll be interesting to see how these turn out. Very neat looking. 

Erik A

I have no idea on fungus but a spray can of Polly urethane from the hardware store may seal and strengthen it? I would use the matte finish not the gloss

Crusarius

I was thinking put it in a block of epoxy, but I am sure that is not the look you are after.

21incher

Quote from: Crusarius on October 27, 2021, 10:01:02 AM
I was thinking put it in a block of epoxy, but I am sure that is not the look you are after.
That's exactly  what I am thinking.  Afraid to try that until it dries some to see how much it shrinks. I think things  must have low moisture content  before encapsulation.  

Crusarius

pretty sure once they are encapsulated the lack of air stops any further drying.

Thank You Sponsors!