iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Franklin 170 S2 wiring and transmission control

Started by MM631, November 11, 2021, 08:57:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MM631

Hey everybody, I am new to the board and looking for some help. I am working on a Franklin 170 S2 with electronic transmission controls. It has been looked at and by a couple other guys and the wiring has been messed with quite a bit. The rest of the machine is tight and straight a shame to be sitting. I am looking to see if anyone has or knows where i might find some form of a schematic at least wire identification for the trans controller. I know the information is super scarce and have made some calls but seem to be striking out all over. The machine s/n is 18497 if that helps at all. Thanks 

Southside

Not sure what the S2 means. I have a 170PSG (power shift grapple) with electronic controls. Are you working on the shifter side or the coils? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

MM631

Shifter and controller side so far. Back up alarm is on all the time, have power to the display when key is off, it will display NN and F1 on controller. Shift into reverse and display goes blank and can hear solenoid clicking. Voltage is good at ignition. There have been other people messing with wiring and I'm last one to the party. So not sure what has been messed with. Was hoping to find schematic and verify my supply voltage and grounds to the controller.

Southside

Give Forestry & Construction in Goode, VA a call. They bought a lot of the Franklin stuff when the company went under. Only ones I can think of that might have what you need. Your machine is a generation later than mine so I am probably not much help to you. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

kiko

Can't help much with this one , may be able to give some insight.  This machine is likely a late production run right before the Q series, which had the display for gear selection.  Useful information maybe found for a Q70.  On the Q application i seem to recall the shifter  was the also the transmission control module.  Do you know which transmission you have?  If it is a P4-376  it might could be converted to the style of shifter that Southside has in his 170.   Do you have pictures of the shifter?

MM631

Thanks, I am not sure if the year of machine but after looking at some other pics online I would say that it is definitely late generation and more like the Q70. By specs it should have a P4-385 transmission. I haven't been in deep enough to check the tag yet. The shifter looks fairly simple two position sensors and a neutral safety switch. The transmission controller appears to be top center of the dash and also has the gear position indicator

kiko

Try these guys,  they are a salvage yard that specialize in Franklin machines .
American Parts Recovery 912 264 5668.  

MM631

Thanks I will give them a try, not having a great deal of luck so far 

MM631

Thanks for the help and information gentlemen, I wound up having some good luck with Skip at Cochran Farm Equipment in Somerset PA. He had some information and a schematic. Turns out there is one odd relay above fuse panel . It looks like a standard relay but the contacts are different and someone replaced it with the wrong one. It then creates some bizarre downstream problems and the guys before me started trying to repair those problems. It was a chain reaction of bad events. The schematic made sense of it and was able to get it back together. Thanks again for the response and leads a great forum. 

Thank You Sponsors!