iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ash Trees "Shedding?"

Started by Rhodemont, November 26, 2021, 08:34:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhodemont

The leaves and undergrowth are all down so I can see into the woods.  Noticed this morning that all my ash trees have this condition.  I have not seen this before. It does not look good.  What is it?

Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

Dan_Shade

Does the bark have "D"-shaped holes in it? 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Rhodemont

I did not notice any.  Will go out and look closely.  How Big would they be?

mudfarmer

"Blonding" ? There are native borers that will go after Ash as well, here is one link w some info. Gallery and exits will help determine what it is if it is insects.

Distinguishing Emerald Ash Borer from Native Borers | Ohioline

Rhodemont

Looking closely after reading the link Mudfarmer sent...yep....blonde areas have D shaped exit holes...Emerald Ash borer.  I have been dreading this day.  The EAB has been reported on the CT/RI border the last few years.  Well it is 6 miles into RI now.  I have several acres predominately mature ash.  Do I start felling them??

ehp

Ash bore . Yes get cutting as those trees are done and dieing but still should be ok for new but before to long will just be firewood

mudfarmer

Sorry to hear that. They are closing in on us here from the North, East and West. Soon I will have the same problem.

Might be good to report to some pencil pusher somewhere if they are not "known" to be in your area yet.

dgdrls

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=110495.25

My earlier experience with the Green Meanies

I have more to cut......still

good luck and be careful of weak/dead limbs

D

Woodfarmer

I have been cutting Ash the last four years now, just about done. I'm on the north shore of Lake Ontario due north between Buffalo and Rochester NY

OH logger

They look like that cause the wood peckers are goin after the ash borers under the bark and are peeling the bark off to get to em.  Our ash are all long gone here. Sure miss em 
john

Rhodemont

Yes woodpeckers.  I have seen/heard a lot of them this year and now know why.  I did contact my forester and he replied blonding is due to woodpeckers and let's get cutting.  While there are some maple and black oak and others on this couple acres it will pretty much be clear cut with all the ash gone.

mike_belben

I understand it is a melancholy moment, but nature has decided it is time for a change. Best to welcome the new. 
Praise The Lord

1countryboy

Your Ash trees are dying.  The ash bore.   Will be worm like engravings when the bark falls off.   It will.   Cut the trees now.    IF you wait the trees will break off mid height and are very dangerous.    When the die and finally fall (will explode on impact)  poor quality firewood at that point.  Was a beatiful in town tree and great wood.  It would burn wet or dry.  I am still cleaning up Ash.   (((just be careful))).

Very sad that this insect came in on pallets from SE asia and was not caught.  Came south from the M state years ago.   

I timbered huge Ash 15 yrs ago just before the quarentees and price of Ash fell.   
Ohio Certified Tree Farm, Ohio Centennial Farms, Ashland County Soil Conservation Award., USDA/ASCS/FSA forest management(TSI) 1963 to present, retired educator, NOT retired farmer and a real farm shop to fix all my old equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!