iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Registration and tax questions

Started by NHtreefarmahfan, December 05, 2021, 06:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHtreefarmahfan

Good evening. Hope everyone is having a good start to their December! I was hoping someone could help with a few questions in regards to buying and registering a tandem axle truck and all the other paperwork that follows. Truck in question is a 68 GMC 9500 tandem chassis cab with a 6-71 with a 5x4. I was wondering what the bare minimum would be to get this registered and on the road paperwork wise? I won't be using it for business just a hobby truck. I'm thinking just a bill of sale and title to register? And I don't think I need a dot number or ifta tag right? And could I drive it out of state if just for personal use? Any information would by much appreciated especially if any other granite staters like me have gone thru this before. Can't find straight answers on the state websites. Apologies for long post just don't wanna miss out on a cool truck ;D 
1965 JD 350 logger special "Johnny Boy"

sawguy21

Regulations vary by state. Your best bet is the DMV, they know best what is required. At the very least you will need a cdl and a commercial inspection to drive it on public roads.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

terrifictimbersllc

Yes bill of sale and title signed over to you.  Probably proof of insurance coverage too.  Call your DMV and insurance and ask.  If it's all legal in your state I think other states defer to that.   You'll get into USDOT rule enforcers either feds or state if you look like you are using it in commerce. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

sprucebunny

You will need to put lettering on it;" Not for hire". 

I don't know about out of state.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

moodnacreek

That would have to be a 'not for hire', personal use vehicle.

snowstorm

the short answer is dont do it. you will need a cdl  b  over 150 miles from home or out of your state you will need a medical card. commercial sticker will be whatever they want to charge. i pay $75. not sure the not for hire will keep the dot away. a oil dripping 671 will be a dot magnet. i have owned several they all leak oil. they were designed to. most will come from the air box drains. a 5 and a 4 will be a time you will never forget. i learned on a 671 5x4 45 yrs ago. to shift it right means splitting them that means shifting both trans at the same time.

GRANITEstateMP

If you've got a farm, you can put AG plates on it.  That being said, you then can only use it for AG purposes. With AG plates you don't need the cdl (in NH). Antique may be another avenue to check into, but I've got no idea how that'd work on a big truck?
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Iwawoodwork

Look into the "Antique" truck might be one way another is put/build an RV on the back and register truck as RV, might not have to have the CDL.

hedgerow

I have owned and drove trucks for over forty years. The first call I would make is to a insurance broker and they will know what can be done in your state. A old truck like that in my area would be a magnet for DOT. I am down to just running Farm plated semi's and I don't cross any state lines with them even though less than a hundred miles will get me across state line. In my state now you can drive a farm plated semi with no CDl. The guys that help me during harvest still have CDL's from the old days. I had a nice looking old Pete cabover that would pass any inspection and did but it was a magnet for getting stopped. I sold it about five years ago to a guy that just had to have a old cabover. Best thing I ever did. 

Thank You Sponsors!