iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is snipe an issue when sanding with Woodmaster planers?

Started by alan gage, December 21, 2021, 02:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan gage

I've never used the sanding attachment for my 718 planer but this winter I'm doing all new window and door trim along with baseboards in my house. I got to thinking it might be time to try it out.

When planing snipe is often an issue so I try to plane the boards before they're cut to final length. That won't be the case when sanding these boards though. I'd hate to run a 1000' through the sander and get snipe. Has anyone found this to be an issue with the sanding drum attachment?

Thanks,

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

GAB

I'm getting the popcorn ready and will be awaiting the answer to your inquistive question.   popcorn_smiley
I've had my 718 since 2020 and have never used the drum sander accessory.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

alan gage

And a secondary question is what kind of feed speeds can I expect for sanding? Can I run the boards through full speed if I'm only doing a light sanding rather than trying to remove material?

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Southside

I have never used mine as a sander, but if you are getting snipe while planing then you need to tweak your set-up. 

We ran about 2,500 LF of pine and mixed hardwood today and the only snipe was on the first and last piece. 

Are you running boards butted together or is there a gap between them? I run them as though it was one never ending board which prevents the head from lifting the end before it has help from the hold down roller.

Also these planers really need an outfeed and infeed roller table that will support the entire board. I have 10' of skate roller on either side of mine in addition to the factory in and outfeed tables.  Last thing that helps is to have a slight up angle to the outfeed table, helps keep pressure against the work piece and keeps it from sniping.

I would think the sander will behave similar to the planer head, just less aggressively. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

alan gage

You are correct that snipe isn't much of an issue when running boards end to end, which I try to do when possible, and which I would be doing for this sanding operation. I don't have long support tables or rollers but I do make it a point to lift the ends of the board as it's going in/coming out to keep the other end from lifting when it's between the rollers. It always seems to be hit and miss. I'll be doing fine and then, seemingly without changing the way I do anything, I'll get some boards that show snipe. 

When the time comes I'll set it up for sanding and do some trial runs before shoving it all through. 

Thanks,

Alan

Thank You Sponsors!