iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting crooked and oiler trouble

Started by SnoJetter, April 23, 2005, 08:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SnoJetter

I've got two old saws I was trying out for the first time today (Jonsered 455 and 535).  The 455 with a 16" bar was cutting crooked - it would start out straight and by the time I was through an 8 inch log it was turning on me towards the left.

The 535 with an 18" bar would cut down about 2 inches and then wedge in the cut.  Couldn't move it except to yank it out of the cut.

Both chains have plenty of teeth and were sharp.  Is this a bar or chain issue and what do I look for and can it be corrected?

The 455 is really spewing out oil like mad.  I've got the oiler adjustment turned all the way down.  If I let it idle on the garage floor, there's a big puddle forming in no time.  When not running, and the excess oil cleaned up, it doesn't leak but a few drops when left overnight.  Any ideas?

Regards,

Kyle Sands <>< Huntley, MN

Ernie

Are you sure it is evenly sharpened on both sides?
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Ianab

Snojetter

Evenly sharpened chain is the first thing to look at...
If thats OK have a close look at the bar and see if it's worn more on one side than the other and/or the groove has worn wider. A combination of those will make the saw cut crooked.
You may be able to flip the bar over if the other side isn't worn, or a saw shop should be able to re-dress the bar if it's not too far gone.

Not sure about the oiler thing tho  ???

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

jjmk98k

lay off the beers eh and you'll cut straighter.....

everything I ever read about cutting crooked leads to teeth sharpened not even....

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

twoodward15

Maybe someone took off to much meat on the guides between the teeth on the big saw.  Is that thing spitting shoe string potatoes out of the log?  Is it bogging down and then jamming?  Try holding it up a bit while cutting instead of leaving weight on it.  The small one just seems like it's unevenly sharpened.  I don't know what to say about the oil.  You try turning that screw the other way????
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

SnoJetter

The bar on the 535 looked like a groove was wearing on the "top" side, so I flipped it over.  AND I resharpened the chain...so a combination of those things and it's cutting like a champ now.  Gotta love the 535 how light and easy it is to use.  The 455 would be an even nicer limbing saw, but the oiler issue and the fact that I can't get it to run consistently leave that one on the work bench for the time being.

Regards,

Kyle

SwampDonkey

Sounds like some of my chain sharpening deals.....left me cutting in circles. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SnoJetter

The saw WAS cutting some very nice curves in the wood.  Almost pretty...

Kyle

D._Frederick

My money is that the chain was run in the dirt and and the top edge and side of the tooth has metal missing. When sharpening, the tooth has to be ground back, so that there are no shinie spots on the outure edge of the tooth.

Thank You Sponsors!