iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jonsereds 630 Piston upgrade on a Husqvarna 261

Started by DHansen, May 26, 2022, 11:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHansen

Can I put a 630 Jonsereds 48mm piston into a 261 Husqvarna.

My first choice of piston was a 262XP for this 261.  I have not been able to locate 262XP piston (new) OEM.

But was able to locate NOS 630 Jonsereds.  Was told by the Husqvarna dealer that this 630 was the same as the 262xp piston.  

My goal is to eliminate the 261 dished piston.  And modify the exhaust.   I picked up this very clean 261 having this project in mind.

DHansen

I also could just go with the Meteor Piston #503 53 11 71   Just trying to decide which would be the best option based on what is still available. 

Spike60

That actually doesn't work and the dealer is mistaken. The 630 P&C is the same as the Husky 162SE that preceded the 266SE/XP, not the 262 which was built on a smaller chassis. True, both are 48mm, but they will not swap back and forth. Easy mistake to make and the good ole 162 is largly forgotten as it gave way to the 266 after just a few years. 1983/4 I think? The Jonny 630 continued to use that same top end throughout it's model run up to 1997.

That being said, grab that 630 piston as they are long gone. There are some AM options that work. The windowed 61 piston works OK in those saws to freshin them up. I wouldn't be afraid to use a decent AM piston in your 262 project. OEM parts for that 254/257/262 chassis are rapidly going away. Not even sure what I have left for them.

I've done that 261 to 262 conversion to a couple saws myself. There are 2 cylinder gaskets for those saws. Make sure you use the thinner of the 2. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

DHansen

Thank you Spike.  I appreciate your expertise.  Watched a few videos of you explaining the 200 series of saws. Would you recommend Meteor brand piston?

Spike60

Meteor should be fine. Brands of AM pistons aren't a big deal. IMO, they are pretty much comparable. It's the cylinders that have big differences in quality. 

The gasket you want to use is 503 704 801. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

DHansen

Spike60

I ran my 261 to 262 conversion last weekend and I'm curious how your project is coming along. One thing to think about is that the 261 used a muffler that was different and more restricted than the standard 257/262 item. The original muffler had a good size hole and really doesn't need to be modified. The 261 muff had a box with small holes built around the outlet on the inside. Same deal you'd see on some 51/55 mufflers. Might want to let that thing breath a little better. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

DHansen

Bob, the gasket you recommended came in and I am picking it up today.  I have had storm damage here and have been using the 266 and 61 to get jobs done and get caught up.  Will keep this thread updated with progress.

DHansen

Gasket in hand.  Clearly a Victor Reinz manufacturer gasket.  What thickness should this gasket measure?  Meteor piston is still about a week and a half away.  Shipping snail mail.USPS.  

Spike60

Don't recall the gasket measurements; maybe 1 mm difference? Just know that there are the 2 of them for this chassis and the thinner one is the way to go. I think the thinner of the 2 was for the 261 as they were maybe trying to get back some of the compression lost with the dished piston. Strange recipe for the 261. When they choked down the muffler they added those useless slits in the front plate. Object for the 261 seemed to be, "Hey, let's ruin a good saw!".

How much storm damage are you dealing with?
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

DHansen

Had to put new roof and roof decking on the house(cabin).  Structural engineer is coming out to look at the machine shed (metal pole barn).  Uprooted a 95' pine and the pine cut the pole barn in half.  Lost the top 30' of five other pines.  Lost a maple and an ash.  No one hurt, and everything is repairable.  Could have been worse.  Also been helping neighbors with tree debris clean up.  Still more to do, but under control.  We had power (electricity) back up in 24 hours.

Spike60

Ouch, that's a mess. Pole saw would be real handy there.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

DHansen

DHansen

No damage to the out house or my dad's pole barn. 

SnoJetter

Where (roughly) in MN was this damage?  We're near Alexandria and had two tornados in less than two weeks in the area.  Thankfully we escaped with minor damage.  Lost 4 trees: two that went down in the woods so I'll let them sit until the winter to clean them up.  One was leaning over the garage, but the wind took it down away from the building (Phew!) but it did take out one of my wood piles.  The third is hanging up in another tree near the shop but it can rest there for awhile.  Definitely more significant damage by other neighbors and 30 miles away whole neighborhoods were rearranged...

I've been here 17 years and never been through this kind of storm - let alone twice in the same month!

DHansen

Pine county, West of Pine City.  E1 tornado.  14 confirmed touch Downs in Minnesota that evening.  Still waiting on a structural engineer to evaluate the barn.

SnoJetter

Sheesh, when did Tornado Alley move north to MN??  It was a wild spring!

Real1shepherd

MN has always had some tornadoes. I saw one swirl on a lake once up there. The "experts" say that's not possible over water. I saw it with my own eyes....but I guess that doesn't count. 8)

Back in MO on the farm we had updrafts, downdrafts, micro bursts and tornadoes. Always 'exciting' seasons back there and then there was the flood of '92'-93.

Kevin  

DHansen

Kevin, I thought those were called water spouts.  And I don't understand why a tornado couldn't go across a lake.

DHansen

Piston showed up today.  Photo of the clean 261 I picked up.

DHansen

Spike60

She's in good shape. Going to make a nice project.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Real1shepherd

Quote from: DHansen on June 28, 2022, 09:38:53 PM
Kevin, I thought those were called water spouts.  And I don't understand why a tornado couldn't go across a lake.
I saw it swirl water just like a tornado and then go back up in the clouds....water came down with fish, debris etc......I was that close....dumb kid fascinated with what I was seeing. It was huge too...the diameter of it when down on the water.

Kevin

DHansen

Real1shepherd

Man, did I get into trouble for not seeking shelter. Once in a lifetime thing for me though.......me and Dorothy.:D

Kevin

Spike60

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Real1shepherd

Well, yeah!

But you think I could get anyone out in a boat with me to get some of those fresh dead fish??

Kevin

DHansen

Interesting Kevin being on one side of our country and Bob on the other, me sitting in Minnesota and You two have been very helpful with my Husqvarna chainsaw questions.  With out this forum I'd have struggled with my chainsaw endeavors.  Good solid information is so helpful.  Lots of good folks here that are willing to help and share their knowledge.  I always say I rather have no information than getting the wrong information.

As far as fishing, sounds like you had a golden opportunity Kevin.

Bob, you mentioned your chainsaw shop was closing this fall, does that equate to a retirement for you?

Enjoy the 4th of July weekend.

Spike60

Retirement with a small "r". Closing the shop. Time to end being in there 6 days a week and enjoy life a little. Still have the overall property to run/manage though. Bus company, apartment, electrical contractor, storage units. I do have a LOT of NOS and NLA Jonsered/Husky parts that I'll have the time to sell online. Already got a nice box of goodies for Kevin.

Doesn't look like anyone is going to take over our business/space. Sad comentary on the OPE biz, but we can't give the business away. All ya gotta do is move in and pay us the rent. Can buy the fork truck, or whatever parts ya want, but other than that, it's a free business. (I just want a tenant in there) But it's an industry that's aging out with a very uncertain future. Talked to a few people who would like to "own" the business, but none of them have any industry experience. That ain't gonna work. Like I said, sad in some ways, but I really don't care. I did my 30 years and I'm done. Not gonna be one of those guys that stays behind that counter til he gets wheeled out on a gurney. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Real1shepherd

Sad nobody will take over your business. This is my last fencing season. It's been a nightmare on the supply side of things. Waiting 4-8 weeks for parts to do a job. My business model doesn't allow to me live that way, even with healthy deposits. Helpers are also problematic now. Seems like after the legions of people quit their crummy jobs during the height of COVID....no one wants to do a hard day's work anymore.

I'm on a job now where I had to concrete in 100 posts. My hands are still numb from doing all that by myself. The universe is trying to tell me something. I'm not one of those guys that will rehab well if i can't use my hands. I can definitely relate, Bob.

Kevin  

DHansen

My business is Stinson Automotive.  25 years and still getting my hands dirty.  New challenges every day.

SnoJetter

Quote from: Spike60 on July 01, 2022, 06:02:10 AM
I do have a LOT of NOS and NLA Jonsered/Husky parts that I'll have the time to sell online. Already got a nice box of goodies for Kevin.
Bob, how far back does your supply of Jonsered NOS parts go?

Guydreads

I was wondering that as well. I'm interested in either powder coating/getting new cases for my Jonsered 2071 Turbo.

Spike60

SnoJetter, some of the stuff goes back to the silver tops. Farther back I go, the less comprehensive the list is of course. The whole thing is hit and miss for the most part, which I suppose is normal for old parts.

Much of the remaining Jonsered inventory down at Husqvarna is being transfered to a company that specializes is selling slow moving or obsolete parts. Still ordered through Husky, but you get a message "SR Sales Drop Ship Only" and a 2 week wait.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

SnoJetter

Quote from: Spike60 on July 06, 2022, 06:24:11 AM
SnoJetter, some of the stuff goes back to the silver tops. Farther back I go, the less comprehensive the list is of course. The whole thing is hit and miss for the most part, which I suppose is normal for old parts.

Much of the remaining Jonsered inventory down at Husqvarna is being transfered to a company that specializes is selling slow moving or obsolete parts. Still ordered through Husky, but you get a message "SR Sales Drop Ship Only" and a 2 week wait.
My soft spot is the 455/535.  I've got several non-runners on hand to keep my 4 runners going should they need something.  Occasionally, I'll pull one off the shelf and tinker to see if I can get another one going.  I've sold a couple like that in the past few years.  Have you got parts for those still floating around?
Considering the 520SP through 535 are often regarded as a low point for Jonsered, what was your experience during that timeframe selling (and servicing) those saws?
Now that I've gotten into the 2100 series, it's sad to think that the stock of new parts (Jonsered specific anyway) available from the dealer will be drying up faster and faster...and soon mostly gone.
(My apologies for going off-topic on this thread.)

DHansen

A little drifting makes the thread interesting.

Spike60

Maybe a little off topic, but it does have Jonsered in the title. :)

You're not alone because I like that little Jonny chassis myself. Have 2 455's and 1 450. Don't have the larger 525/535. Handy little saws and I use them frequently. I dislike the earlier 520 and especially the 510. But the later saws were pretty good and suffered more from the bad rep earned by those early models. These saws were considered high end homeowner/semi-pro back then. The lower end homeowner segment in those days were the cheap Homelites and not so eager beaver McCullochs at K-mart, and stores like that.

Another thing that was different back then is that real saws were sold in "saw shops" while tractors and mowers were sold in "mower shops". The serious users went to the saw shops. That changed as the bigger 2 stroke companies expanded into growing pro landscape market where they have gained a ton of business. Husky, Jonsered, Stihl and most saw companies didn't even have trimmers in their catelogs. Both Husky and Stihl started by having Japanese companies private label their early offerings. Maruyama for Husky, and I can't recall who made the Stihl units. Echo of course had a head start on all this and have generally had better trimmer share than saw share all along. Echo fans hate to admit this, but some of their current saws are from the Shindaiwa side of the family, but it's all good stuff. (Sorry Steve. :) )  Problem is that much of that old separation mentality remains in the business to this day. 3 out of 4 Husky or Stihl dealers lack that old saw shop focus for the pro user. If it doesn't have tires and a big mowing deck it sits in the corner. And you thought YOU had to apologize for going off topic? LOL

I do have some parts for these 455/525 Jonnys, but not sure without looking, and not practical to come up with a list. If there's something you need, then send me a PM and I'll check. Like you I also have a few of them in the saw morgue as parts saws. Have helped a few customers keep 'em going.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

SnoJetter

Bob, have you ever thought about writing a book?  Or maybe a memoir?  Your insight into - and participation in - the history of the outdoor power equipment industry would be a fascinating read!  Or maybe Walt can edit 10 years(?) of video conversations into one big documentary...

I've used a 520SP once and it felt as familiar as the 455/535 which makes sense since they are so close to the same design.  I did think it had a more throaty exhaust note which was a point in its favor.  I have one 520 in my parts pile, and a 510...what were they thinking with that 510?  The anti-vibe seems so convoluted and by the look of it how does the saw hold together?  I've never run one, though, so can't comment on if it was effective in practice.  What I find interesting is when I've gone through my 450's/525's/455's/535's one can see the evolution of the chassis from the 510 and certain features that were once used on the original design are still present but not used on the later iteration, and then in the end are gone entirely.  (The voids for the rubber anti-vibe on the 510, for example underneath the chassis are still present on the 520, but aren't used; the eyelet up near the cylinder that was used early on and then abandoned; and I think the cylinder had an extra boss for the coil that eventually went away but was still present on some saws but not used.)

Rubber parts, piston's/cylinders, ignition switches, recoil parts, cylinder base & gasket, exhaust gasket.  That's a short list of the common parts I see broken/worn/destroyed when I find a parts saw.  On the runners I have, I've not yet had a motor failure but I'm waiting for the day when a seal goes out or worse.  I've swapped P&C sets from a 455 to 535 or vice versa to get one running and I've reused gaskets with success.  Maybe rubber parts don't survive 30 years in storage, so perhaps NOS seals and anti-vibe parts aren't any good after all these years and won't last long.  The rubber mount that attaches the handles to the cylinder is hit or miss on a parts saw, often delaminated from use and abuse.  Another one that really takes a beating is that little rubber grommet that isolates the wrap handle from the saw body where it attaches under the oil tank.  That thing gets full of oil and is squished up under tension when the washer/circlip are installed.  Those often disintegrate when I take it apart...I'm amazed they survive as often as they do.  Hopefully something like that can be found as time marches on.  And those kill switches!  I often just choke my saw to stop in an effort to preserve the switch I have for an emergency.  Those plastic bodies are often cracked and just fall apart.  I've seen those for sale more frequently now than in the past, so maybe it's not as uncommon of a part as it once was.  But boy can they be expensive!  Anyway, there aren't any specific parts I need at the moment, but knowing a source is available is a win!

DH - thanks for permission to wander off like this ;D

Spike60

Yeah, maybe we owe Dave an apology for going off topic here. :) But back on track, I had done this same job for a customer a couple years ago on a wiped 261. Gave it a quick hone and the "proper" piston. He brought it in for a no start/service recently, (gas went sour from sitting), and raved about how nice it ran after we rebuilt it. Didn't even mess with the muffler on his. So definitely a worthwhile project for anybody with a 261.

Gotta check, but I think there's a switch still in the Husky system that fits all of those old applications. Stay tuned.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Real1shepherd

I think you're correct....there is a Husky switch that will cross-over.

Those J'red plastic body switches are from the Devil himself. In all the yrs, I ever fixed ONE that didn't just fall apart.

Nothing you can do with an A/V that's floppy from all the yrs and it's still bonded to the metal. The rubber itself is shot. Sometimes depending on the saw, you can force a washer in there to stiffen it a bit.....but it's a band aid.

Kevin

DHansen

Spike60

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

DHansen

Spike60

Definitely NOT going to fit a 262. Not even close. Looks like something older as you'd see on a 480 or 65 or what not. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

DHansen

Bob,  Thanks for taking the time to confirm the part numbers.

David

Thank You Sponsors!