iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Square bushel

Started by Wlmedley, July 03, 2022, 01:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samandothers

Quote from: Wlmedley on July 22, 2022, 03:31:58 PM
Slats and ends are both cut at 19"It's easier to remember and comes out to a bushel when depth is 8".Actually slightly over a bushel.
Nicely executed and they look good too!  What thickness did you make the sides and ends, 1/2", 3/8"..?

Wlmedley

Set sawmill to 1/2 on 1" scale and slats came out about 7/16" for slats.On the cherry one I made solid Pieces are 3/4"and on the poplar ones solid pieces are 1".Would have used 3/4" solids on all but all I had in poplar was 1".Would like to make some out of white oak but I don't have any 2"stock for slats.Have plenty of 1" white oak sheeting.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Wlmedley

Got started building these crates and can't seem to stop.Getting fancy now ,white oak,cherry,walnut,poplar and pitch pine in this one 

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Don P

I got a call the other day for 4 trays to hold pints jars of preserves, the same inside dimensions as the cardboard flats they come packaged in, just a little deeper to protect the lids... and with the stacking cleats. The boss was going to clean up and get the quart jar boxes ready, canning season is upon us.

WV Sawmiller

Don,

I make crates for one dozen pints and quarts and found the pint sized crates perfectly nest inside the quart crate which is handy for storage and when loading a bunch to take to a flea market or such.

Wlmedley,

Sorry, but those crates are not going to work. You are not going to have the heart to fill them with a bushel of dirty taters so you better get back to building them with pine or some dirty hardwood you don't mind messing up. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Wlmedley

Howard,I think I made more crates than I'll need for potatoes and probably give the fancy ones away.l have two sisters and one sister in law and one daughter in law that will want one.I think now I'll make some small ones like you make for canning jars and use my fancy wood for those.They are fun to make.

Wlmedley

Thought I'd put my brand on some of the crates I made.Used a butane soldering iron I had but it was a pain.Don't think I'll do very many.Like to have a small branding iron if I can find one.If your wondering T and T stands for thick and thin.An old fellow that lived nearby when I was a kid had an old sawmill and cut mostly railroad ties and that's what everybody called his operation :laugh: 

Don P

I've debated having someone laser the farmers market logo on the side of some for presentation type boxes but haven't gotten roundtuit.

Don P

One of the ladies needed a box for a dozen half pint jelly jars. I remembered this thread. I made the inside dimensions as the cardboard flat they come in, which was 8-3/4 x 12".

I couldn't find my 18 ga brad nailer so ended up breaking up the strips of nails and hand driving gun nails  :D. The HF narrow crown stapler looks like the next toy on the list.

Wlmedley

Nice looking box.Looks a little like hickory?

Don P

Whoops, I forgot to answer that. It was a leyland cypress we had planted years ago. The yellow belly sapsuckers, I kid you not, came down from the mockernut up the hill and proceeded to hammer on that row every year till only one tree sort of remains. So, yes, you are picking up on the same damage as in hickory. And I was curious what the wood looks like, I like it.

Back to trying to dig out of the pile of pine that was too good to throw away in the barn. I got the HF stapler the other day. The gun was $28, by the time I walked out with 2 boxes of staples it was $54. I've put 4 or 5 clips through it.

Not bad for a gun I can't figure out how they sell that cheap. No depth control so I'm dialing the pressure down, playing between misfire and a good drive depth. (You could also grind the driver a little). No worse than a bostitch at 6x the price  ;). It's a combo, it should drive 18ga brads but I haven't tried yet. I'll post when it dies but I think its a no brainer so far, my thumb is regaining its color already  :D

Thank You Sponsors!