Sponsors:

Diggin it. YES I CAN!

Started by Jeff, December 06, 2022, 01:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newoodguy78

The only thing worse than paying too much is not paying enough. Good call

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Walnut Beast

It's amazing when a guy looks back on projects that you were stewing around about and how much progress can be done with just a little action 

Jeff

A little is right. Ive been sick since the day after we brought the pup home. Just the last few days have I been doing anything but bonding with a puppy and a kleenex box. (Box 3)

Havent found the appropriate bolts with a part look up that I can be sure of. So I guess I better measure bolt lenghts

SwampDonkey

I had that same dose Jeff for over 3 weeks, RSV virus. Never had it in my chest, just a little throat tickle. But nose was plugged and ran constantly. :D I've never had a cold before that for at least 8 years. From what I read about it, only take Tylenol, not even cough syrup. I tried cough syrup for the tickle and it made me cough more. So I ended that.  :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

I'm supposed to avoid Tylenol due to my bout with pancreatitus in 2010

SwampDonkey

Yeah, well I can see why. At least from my limited understanding of digestion.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

The otherhead is ready for pick up, head bolts and assembly products should be here this week, and I have the engine compartment about ready.

I'll need to paint the head when I get it, then when I get an extra pair of hands, I'll start assembly. The belt tentioning system on this engine is a farce. I'll  be redesigning that before getting it running.

Don P

I lost track, with these rockers is the geometry ok or was this because something is bottoming out?

Jeff

The problem seems like it came from the rocker arm stds not being torqued and coming loose. There is no sign of hammering or damage to the rockers or pushrods.

Jeff

Ill be glad to hear it run again.

Jeff

I got the other head back. They put a new spring in that one as well due to it being gooshy. My compression was fine on that cylinder before tear down, but the spring didnt make spec. 

Any reassembly tips?

rusticretreater

Depending on how clean the interior of the engine looks, you might spray some kerosine into the block to wash out dirt, antifreeze and old oil.  Look in the valley and see if there is any casting flash on openings that could be removed.  3M pad or similar to clean the block surface and the edges of the intake manifold.  Don't forget the front and rear edges of the block where the intake manifold seals against the block. 

Look closely at your head gaskets.  You should see imbedded o-ring type material around holes for the water jacket and oil return. If not, put gasket sealer around these holes on the cylinder block and heads.  Same for the intake manifold. Ensure the facing of the distributor opening is clean and free of old gasket material and the distributor mating surface is also clean.

Usually there are neoprene seals used to seal the ends of the intake manifold.  Put a dab of gasket sealer at each end of the seal where it meets the cylinder head. 

Assembly lube on the roller rockers/valve ends, push rods.  They will be dry until the oil circulates.

Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Jeff

I've been seeing on line where they say the small block for intake manifold end seals are notorious leakers, and it appears this one was leaking. Ive seen where they say toss the cork end seals and use only the permatex ultra black liberally, set the manifold, the n give it some time to set before you torque it down. One of my front intake bolts was obviosly corroded.

Jeff

hacknchop

Can't wait to hear it roar. I've enjoyed watching you fix that engine,my brother had a Gran Torino with a 351 Cleveland it was scary fast. Is it possible to put Cleveland heads on a Windsor block or is that a different engine altogether? Pretty sure my other brother put Boss heads on a 302 in a mustang, heads came off an engine out of a wrecked police car.
Often wrong never indoubt

Jeff

The cleveland is a completely different block and engine. Quickest way to tell is the top radiator house on a cleveland goes into the block, on a windsor, into the intake manifold.

rusticretreater

Some bolts go into the water jacket and end up corroded like that.  The bolt doesn't look in too bad of shape.  As long as the needed threads are in good shape, it looks reusable.

Cork does deteriorate over time.  Silicone sealant that doesn't turn hard is a good option.  The only problem with the silicone stuff is that it squishes out making an unsightly line so you might want to use a putty knife or something to remove the excess while you can.  It can get pretty messy if you're not careful.  Or use a razor blade after it dries.  Black silicone on a blue engine will stand out a bit.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Jeff

Assembly started. Heads on, valves adjusted, Headers bolted on, Intake manifold torqued down. I'll leave it set a day before I continue.

chet

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

SwampDonkey

Be rumbling over the road in no time. ;D

Don P

Hopefully rumblin down the road with you sittin on a new hoe  ;D.
Looking good.

JD Guy

Jeff, You may get it running and driving so well you won't want to part with your Mustang  8)

Jeff

That thought occured to me so I slapped myself then banged my head on the wall 3 times.

Thank You Sponsors!