iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maple Sugar 2023

Started by celliott, December 12, 2022, 04:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

I think SD uses chalk boots to mark the trees..... :D
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

snowmountain

Quote from: celliott on January 07, 2023, 10:19:04 AM
I've been wearing micro spikes in the woods. But I want to try a pair of cork boots. However I can't see paying for a good pair to wear for (maybe) a week or two of cold/no snow. Any recommendations? I have Hoffman pac boots and love them but, like I said for a few weeks I don't want to drop that kind of change.
My woods are steep and often icy. You might want to try mountaineering crampons. Google Black Diamond Contact Crampon. I wear them all winter. They take getting used to because your foot never slips. You can't shuffle like you do in snow shoes. They also are terrible on rock but can't be beat for steep and icy.I wear them with my pac boots. Not too expensive and I have 6 winters use on mine now.

Jack

SwampDonkey

Quote from: beenthere on January 09, 2023, 09:04:05 PM
SD
Are chaulk boots something different from caulk boots? just curious...
One in the same. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Big_eddy

Quote from: celliott on January 06, 2023, 08:45:47 PM
Boiled yesterday and today. Early January and it feels like April, crazy.

33 barrels, 1815 gallons so far in 2023!

What's CRAZY is that Chris made more syrup in one day than I will see sap in an entire season!

celliott

Quote from: Big_eddy on January 11, 2023, 11:02:52 AM
Quote from: celliott on January 06, 2023, 08:45:47 PM
Boiled yesterday and today. Early January and it feels like April, crazy.

33 barrels, 1815 gallons so far in 2023!

What's CRAZY is that Chris made more syrup in one day than I will see sap in an entire season!
Even crazier, once we get into March and April, that's a 1/2 days production lol
We got to 81k tapped so far, no snowshoes today but likely will have to on Monday. We had been driving pickups way up a woods road, that was nice. 
Thursday we set another company record, we tapped 6,900 trees in one day. Just good going all around. Averaging over 500 per person. Our tapping numbers will drop probably 200 or so per person once we put the snowshoes on. 
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

celliott

We crested the 100,000 mark today.
Snowshoes the last week, and the last few days especially have been deep, no bottom to the snow yet. We're now doing 3-400 per person. But we're closing in on it! 20k left to go here in Eden, 17k or so for Cabot, then we might farm out and help some other producers who are behind. Or see what the weather does, we might be starting the real a season at that point.
Tap on!
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Stephen1

Thanks for the update Chris, at 300 taps I think I have enough taps. 
We are knee deep in snow and more on the way. It was looking great last week as I was able to walk across the top of the snow. 
We started to research getting an RO machine. We have 200 taps on vacuum and another 100 on 3/16 green line for a self vacuum. 
I see a small company that does reasonable priced ones are the RO Bucket.
Any other manufactures we should look at?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

celliott

The RO bucket is probably as small scale as you can get commercially made. I know some maple equipment manufacturers also make small units but probably more gph (and $) than the bucket. I know some have made their own as well.
Going from 2-4% is a huge savings, it's alot of water you don't have to evaporate.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Chuck White

Quote from: Stephen1 on January 31, 2023, 07:48:52 PM
Thanks for the update Chris, at 300 taps I think I have enough taps.
We are knee deep in snow and more on the way. It was looking great last week as I was able to walk across the top of the snow.
We started to research getting an RO machine. We have 200 taps on vacuum and another 100 on 3/16 green line for a self vacuum.
I see a small company that does reasonable priced ones are the RO Bucket.
Any other manufactures we should look at?
The 3/16 inch line is no different than the 5/16 inch line, except for its smaller diameter.
The 5/16 line will ALSO FORM IT'S OWN vacuum as long as it fills and starts to flow, just like the 3/16 line does!
There are quite a few in this area that quickly switched to the 3/16 inch line when it first became available, then the next year they switched back to the 5/16 inch, and absorbed the financial loss of messing with the 3/16 line!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

celliott

We finished tapping in Eden today. 118,500 (ish) trees tapped! Started December 12th, and had almost 3 weeks off for repairs and leak checking.
Next week is looking like great sugaring weather and we'll have some sap this week too.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

cutterboy

Quote from: celliott on February 07, 2023, 07:59:42 PM
We finished tapping in Eden today. 118,500 (ish) trees tapped! 
Is that the total number of taps or the total number of trees tapped? Either way it boggles my mind.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

celliott

Quote from: cutterboy on February 08, 2023, 07:08:54 AM
Quote from: celliott on February 07, 2023, 07:59:42 PM
We finished tapping in Eden today. 118,500 (ish) trees tapped!
Is that the total number of taps or the total number of trees tapped? Either way it boggles my mind.
We have 95% eliminated double tap trees, and will not have any next year so it's close to the same, trees and taps. We've found it's not really worthwhile putting two taps on one bigger tree. Puts a lot of holes on a tree quickly, and they're usually the slower growing trees in the woods. It's not a 2x return with two taps on one big tree either. Also a big source of vacuum leaks early on, as quite often 1/2 of a two tapper is missed.
But organic standard and VT current use standard say 2 taps is ok on a 16" tree 🙄 and 3 for 22"+ (20" for 2 taps if using 7/16 spouts!) I can tell you for sure, if you do 2 taps in a 16" or 3 on a 22" you'll run out of conductive sap wood to tap in just a few years.
Still got 25k or so to do at the other sugarhouse.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

SwampDonkey

I'm with you on the tap holes. We had no more than 2 on huge large crown trees. Talking over 30" dbh.

Keep on keep'n on. :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Stephen1

I agree with running out spots to tap. We have been tapping for 52 years and it is real hard to find good sap in the large trees that we put 2-3 taps in. I have tried to use the 3" rule, 3" apart and 3" to the right and 3" up as you go around the tree. Using tubing and vacuum makes it very hard to follow that rule. 

cutterboy

celliott, thanks for the explanation. 
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

DbltreeBelgians

Sap been flowing pretty good here in Northwest Ohio.
Had a hard time watching the Super Bowl and keeping
tabs on the evaporator but I'm pounding through it.
My RO system should arrive tomorrow hopefully. Should 
cut down on my boiling time and wood consumption.

Brent

Al_Smith

I've only tapped the maples as a hobby  decades ago . That said because the temperatures this year have only risen or fallen from slightly below freezing to maybe 40 degrees I doubt the sap flow will be great .

Walnut Beast

Chuck White

Looks like a nice "friendly" boil.

We put in 300 taps yesterday, and have about 1100 more to go.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Stephen1

Looking good Brent. I plowed open the bush lot yesterday. Hung a bucket on Friday , Just to see, and only a few drops yesterday afternoon and it made it up to 45F.  The weather is pretty wonky here for sure. They are calling for 50F on Wednesday and its been above freezing for a quite a few days. The temp is going to go down to freezing early next week, and it is just to early here for this type of weather. I suspect it is just a little teaser of warm for us. 

DbltreeBelgians

We'll I got my RO kit on Monday and got it set up on Tuesday. I had boiled 70 gallons of sap through late Sunday night and I was whooped. Weather getting way to warm here. Ran RO unit Tuesday afternoon to get ahead a little and man did that make a difference on time and the amount of wood burnt. My little arch I built eats wood like candy. Thankfully I have a pretty good pile of slab wood from the mill to keep the fire stoked up. Not boiling today as it's gusting to 45mph on the winds. Guess I'll attempt to remove the niter from the draw off side of the pan today. First time using a divided pan. Seems to be a learning curve. I got the preheat pan from Smokey Lakes also and like it so far.
Every year I tap more trees. Every year I by more processing equipment. Seems to be a bit addictive especially being a hobby. I've never tried to make a dime off of my hobby but I've sure spent a lot of dimes.

Brent

beenthere

Any pics of your setup? We like pics.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

celliott

Brent, if it's possible to do so, reverse the side on which you draw syrup. It helps to dissolve niter. We switch every hour, on the fly but many switch every boil.
Milkstone/dairy acid also works amazingly well if all stainless pans. We use IBC350.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

SwampDonkey

All the while in high school chemistry class you were thinking, 'what do I need this for'? :D ;)

Stephen1

We still have no sap, lots of snow on the ground so I believe the roots are still frozen. 30 miles south of me , he had a record amount of sap in 1 day of collecting.  
Brent what RO system did you get?

Thank You Sponsors!