iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What stihl to buy

Started by Bmcghan22, February 18, 2023, 12:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bmcghan22

So I recently moved to a 10 acre place.  I'm looking to buy a new saw since all I have is a 015l and a ms 251.  I mainly will be bucking up downed trees mostly alder and light firewood cutting.  I'd say 2-4 chords a year.  I was looking at 036 to 044 range.  My question is will I burn up a 44 if I'm not bucking up big enough logs or will the 36 not have enough if I get into some 20-24" logs.  Of course I want the 44 but if I'm not using it like it's meant to I don't want to ruin a good saw.

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Stihl MS261 if you want to stick with Stihl

Or bump up to the MS362. Great all-around saw.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lxskllr

Are you specifically looking for old saws, or are you buying new? In addition to beenthere's new suggestions, I'd also consider the 400c. Weighs a little more than the 362, but gives a nice power bump. All for more $ of course.

DHansen

Good recommendation from beenthere.  As for the 044, it won't hurt it to be used lightly or run a shorter bar. It might be over kill, but if you are okay with the weight of the saw and size I would always recommend going up a step than down.  But that is just my opinion.  Always nice to have more horse power.

DHansen

Are you looking for new or used Stihl?

Bmcghan22

Mainly looking for used they are a little easier and cheaper to find in my area.  If I was to get a 44 I'd probably run a 25" bar most of the time.  I come across a lot of 034 036 044 ms440 and a few 460's  in my area and they run within $50 from the 30's to the 40's. So money wise it makes sense to get bigger I just won't always have the need for bigger and didn't want it to be problematic if I'm bucking small alder all day.

DHansen

You had mentioned 20-24" stuff.  A good running and sharp  034 will easily handle that.   Just depends on what you prefer.  I have an 066 that I use often for bucking and run a 25" bar.  The saw weight and size does not bother me.  Lighter and smaller saws work great also, but to a point, then a big saw makes the work quicker.  You can get the job done either way.  Pros and cons based on your preference.  I like a light weight saw, but when the log size changes, and you move up to a larger saw you realize the time saved in the cut.  Physical condition comes into play.

Bmcghan22

Yeah the weight won't bother me to much I like a little heavy ness so I can let the saw do the work and like I said I got my 015l and the 251 for anything smaller I would be cutting.  All my loggin buddies got a huge saw collection and seems like they got a different saw for every job.  I just don't cut enough like they do to see my self having a big collection.  So I'm just mainly looking for a all around powerhouse with the ability to cut some big logs if need be. 

gspren

I don't remember what year I bought my then new 044 but 30+ years ago. For many of those years it was my main firewood saw with an even older 041 in reserve. That 044 cut everything up to about 30" but mostly 24" and under without complaint, I don't really use it much but it isn't for sale. Now that I'm older and only cut a cord or two for the cabin I have a 261 that I really like for the small stuff, but you wouldn't regret a 044 if you find a nice one.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

thecfarm

Bmcghan22,welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

realzed

MS261 if you want a smallish saw capable of doing everything well that you describe along with proven long term durability..
MS 400 if you want more power and longer bar capability with a slight increase in weight and footprint - on the chance that occasionally, or in the future your intended use expands to larger wood!

sawguy21

The 044 is at that midpoint, too big and heavy for the small stuff yet too small for the bigger timber. You won't 'burn it up' using it for your intended purpose but it sounds like overkill, an MS261 with an 18" bar might be more useful and if you find you want/need more down the road save your nickels for an MS400. Light, smooth and lots of power. Can you fill in your profile? It will give us a better idea of where you are and what you are dealing with.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bmcghan22

Thanks for all the info.  I settled on a 034 super.  Found a great deal.  Thing is plenty for what I need and runs excellent for its age.

Thank You Sponsors!