iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need advice on purchase.

Started by Cephas, February 24, 2023, 01:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cephas

New to the forum. Getting old and sitting down more I think. Anyway, my 30 year old Stihl 026 has been a cutting rascal and if they still made them I would just buy another one. It is just not as reliable as it once was even after a fairly recent "professional rebuild." Does have many hours on it, it is time to relegate it to a fond memory. My newer Husky lacks the power (not husky's fault, I bought one that is to small). So, the Stihl MS 261 and the Husky 550 XP would be my choice (light weight power) except for the auto tune features. Now I expect several of you guys have them and like them but I just have reservations about this idea. I know how to adjust a carb and find it handy about once a year of so to do so. So, I'm looking at an Echo. Looks like the Echo CS-501P has power and is light. What do you guys think? Never thought I would leave Stihl or Husky, but times they are a changin. Appreciate any comments you may have.

sawguy21

Have a look at the Echo CS4910 or CS590, bang for the buck they are pretty hard to beat. I know, old habits die hard for us old codgers, but autotune is the way of the future. Even non autotune saws have very little adjustment available due to emission regulations, we just have to get used to it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

lxskllr

I don't know about that saw particularly, but I have three echoes, and they're all great saws. My 2511T is my favorite saw of all. Computerized saws are pretty nifty. I have a 362 and a 661. I pull the cord, and they work. Beats monkeying around with a carb. It's worth considering a 261, but if you really want a manual carb, I think an echo will please you.

Big_eddy

Don't be afraid of Autotune. It's awesome. If you only adjust your carbs once or twice a year, then you are rarely ever going to be optimally tuned. With autotune you always are. Hot day, auto tune adjusts. Cold day, autotune adjusts, Air filter starting to get dirty, autotune adjusts, older gas, ..... you get the picture.

The 545, 550 and 562 XP are all fantastic saws. I currently am running 2x 562 for firewood blocking off the pile (60-80 bush cord annually) and a 545 for trail maintenance and day to day cutting out in the woods. My older 50 sits idle most of the time and it's the only non auto saw I still run.

Cephas

Gentlemen, great replies. Sounds like I can't go wrong here. Now I'm really not sure what to do. Any negatives on the auto tune out there or am I just worried about nothing?
Thanks again, great forum. 
MT Steve

hedgerow

I will be starting the third season on the 261 this year  . Its mostly blocked hedge. I have had zero issues with it. Both of my helpers like it. Probably going to buy another one this season so they both have one. One helper that runs it a lot says its the favorite son's saw. Its light weight and has a lot of power. 

lxskllr

A downside to computerized saws is you could one day run into a problem that requires the dealer to fix. There's also the blackbox aspect, where some of it is inscrutable. Old school saws are simple machines that a competent mechanic can figure out on their own. The computer adds complexity.

So... The tradeoff is having a saw you can pull out, and it Just Works™ with nothing more than routine maintenance of the couple expendable parts(air filter, spark plug, bar&chain...) for the possibility of sometime in the future having to pay a dealer to fix it. I think it's a worthwhile trade. Others may differ. My two computer saws have run flawlessly.

Cephas

Thank you, good answers all. Not sure how to proceed but no option looks terrible. 

dad

Quote from: Cephas on February 25, 2023, 12:25:43 PM
Thank you, good answers all. Not sure how to proceed but no option looks terrible.
Not that I'm of much help, but Stihl shows a 261 as well as a 362 both NON moronic's on their website right now. I'm not sure if anyone that you have locally would have one, but at least maybe they could order you one if you decide to go that route.

dad

I forgot to mention in my last post that they are showing those two saws both ways. I know it does not help decision wise but I wanted you to know if you haven't checked yet.

Oh, I do have to confess, I like spending other people's money almost as much as I like spending my own. ;D 
Seriously, I love seeing hard working people get themselves things as reward for their labor.

barbender

I swore I'd never have an electronic controlled saw, now I have 3 of them. And I love them. Now understand, I am not a full time chainsaw user that is going to find the weak spots in short order. In fact (especially if you listen to my wife), I could probably get by with just one of them, and it still wouldn't be well used most of the time😊. 

It's not just the fact that you don't have to turn screws seasonally to tune the engine, which was never that big of a deal. These electronic saws keep things tuned optimally for sure, but another thing I notice is they all accelerate really fast- the throttle response is super! To be fair, I don't have any of these saws in a non auto tune for an apples to apples to comparison, all I know is I really like the way they run.

If you are a Stihl man and loved your 026, you will likely love the ms261, whether auto tune or not. I have the auto tune version and it's a nice saw with a smooth, torquey power delivery.
Too many irons in the fire

Patrick NC

I've had my husky 550xp mk2 for a couple of years now and it's performed flawlessly. As a matter of fact I like it so much that my 372 stays parked unless I'm in big wood.  Anything under 18" and the 550 is what I reach for. Had a stihl ms260 before this one. If the 261 is as good,  you won't be disappointed in either one.  
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Menagerie-Manor

Quote from: Cephas on February 24, 2023, 01:07:31 PM
New to the forum. Getting old and sitting down more I think. Anyway, my 30 year old Stihl 026 has been a cutting rascal and if they still made them I would just buy another one. It is just not as reliable as it once was even after a fairly recent "professional rebuild." Does have many hours on it, it is time to relegate it to a fond memory. My newer Husky lacks the power (not husky's fault, I bought one that is to small). So, the Stihl MS 261 and the Husky 550 XP would be my choice (light weight power) except for the auto tune features. Now I expect several of you guys have them and like them but I just have reservations about this idea. I know how to adjust a carb and find it handy about once a year of so to do so. So, I'm looking at an Echo. Looks like the Echo CS-501P has power and is light. What do you guys think? Never thought I would leave Stihl or Husky, but times they are a changin. Appreciate any comments you may have.
I'm with you on the old Stihl saws, gave up on my 031AV last year after 40 years of service and went with the Stihl Wood Boss and it's performed well without any issues. Only thing I miss is the adjustable bar oil flow feature.
If you come to a fork in the road take it.....

Woodland Mills HM126
Yanmar YM2310D
Stihl 031AV
Stihl MS251

Patrick NC

My brother has a ms250. It's a good running little saw for a farm saw. I wouldn't think twice if I found one for the right price. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

olcowhand

Back in 2017, @HolmenTree started a thread comparing the 261CM and the 550XP. I'm pretty sure some of us purchased 261's as a result, but I also think the 550 he used had some special issues. I did buy a 261CM then, and only had it modified to use a 3/8 chain, bar & sprocket- so I can use the same sharpening equipment as my 461 & 661. I sometimes had Hot-start issues with it until I took it to my local dealer, and now it starts with one pull hot. That saw get's about 75% of my saw time, as it's much lighter than these other two saws. I run a 16" bar with full chisel, and it will run that combo in Hardwood all day long....
I can't really pass along any insights on the Husky or the Echo, but I'm sure they are good saws as well.
Good luck with your choice.
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Cephas

Montana folks tend to heat with wood as much as anywhere I guess. I will use 6 to 8 chords a year in my modest size home, and do some cutting for others.  Not a great amount but still more than I want to do with a one man tuttle tooth saw.  Bottom line, After considering everything I don't think I would be entirely happy with anything but a Stihl; if it is available with a carb. I guess I'll take a look at the non-moronic (not sure what that means, perhaps someone will tell me) saws the next time I am in Helena. Thanks again to all, some great help and knowlege on this forum.

barbender

M-tronic is Stihls electronic controlled carb system.
Too many irons in the fire

Old saw fixer

Stihl's Mtronic still uses a carburetor with diaphragms and gaskets with the addition of a solenoid to control fuel mixture. According to internet chatter the biggest won't run problem is a bad solenoid, followed by wire continuity/shorting problems.  The latter problem is probably caused by self inflicted damage ie: jerking on a stuck saw or dropping it from a tree.
I have three Mtronic saws and have had no problems with any of them.  They hot start quicker if you let them idle a little bit before you cut the switch off.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

Cephas

Quote from: barbender on February 26, 2023, 12:29:21 PM
M-tronic is Stihls electronic controlled carb system.
Correct. I meant to say adjustable carb. 
Thanks to all for the good info, i feel like I can make an informed decision now. 

hedgerow

Three years ago coming in June I bought my 261. I called all around trying to find a regular non M-tronic's 261. Not one dealer said he had ever seen a non M-tronic's 261 lot of 260's but not any 261's. I was worried about buying the M-tronic's but have had zero issues. It is a learning curve on starting it and don't run it out of fuel. They don't like that. 

Thank You Sponsors!