iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

length of time to saw

Started by hydeoutman, December 12, 2005, 04:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hydeoutman

I have 8 logs of various dia. about 400 bdft. of soft maple which was cut in October. I was wondering what is the maximum length of time I can wait to have these sawn into lumber or flooring?

Also what can be done to help preserve them before I can have these sawn?

Radar67

I would get them off the ground and end seal them. The sealer of choice is anchor seal, but some folks use latex paint and a variety of other things.

As for how long they will keep, you are in another neck of the woods, I'm sure some of the other members will tell you they will be okay until spring (since it is colder than a well digger's behind up there)  :D

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

woodmills1

maples almost indefinate they will still be good,  after so long they will spalt and be even more attractive.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

maple flats

They must be kept high and dry. You need good air circulation thru the pile or you will lose some. I would get them cut asap, but if necessary you could do them next year if you keep them up and get air circulation along with end seal. The end seal should be now (or last month ;D)
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Thank You Sponsors!