iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Your favorite chainsaw mill? I need help buying one.

Started by glaze, December 12, 2005, 12:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glaze

I plan on milling yard trees using chainsaw mill.  I've heard of the Granberg, Logosol and GB mills(GB is not a Granberg).  I'm sure there are others I have not heard of, so what brand is your favorite chainsaw mill and what chainsaw model do you use with it. 

I wanted to be able to cut all the way through a big sycamore tree log completely in half, then cut it into four equal quarters and cut quartersawn lumber out of the quarters. I'm not going to just cut slabs out of the whole tree. Is the chainsaw mill good to use for cutting the quartersawn wood out of the quartered pieces of the log or is there a better piece of equipment to use?

Please feel free to educate me on what model of chainsaw, equipment and techniques I should use to safely mill quartersawn lumber out of large logs.

Mike

Dan_Shade

I have an alaskan, it works well. problem is you can't quarter a "big" tree with the alaskan, probably the largest you could quarter with an alaskan is 24", and that may be pushing it (But 24" is a pretty big tree).

where are you located?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

oldsaw

Dan, you aren't very creative are you.  A drill, a hacksaw, 4 bolts, and a quick trip to our local "metal by the foot" joint, and I can get you whatever depth you wish.  I may not even need the hacksaw.

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

glaze

Quote from: Dan_Shade on December 12, 2005, 12:39:38 PM
I have an alaskan, it works well. problem is you can't quarter a "big" tree with the alaskan, probably the largest you could quarter with an alaskan is 24", and that may be pushing it (But 24" is a pretty big tree).

where are you located?

I live in Utah.  Most of the Sycamore trees here are average size, but there are some monster sized sycamore trees here that are probably 50 to 80 years old here.  Very few sycamore trees would be older than that in this state just because of when most of the homes were actually built.  They are a popular tree in this state and are not hard to find all over the place.  This type of tree would be one of the biggest I would find here to cut up when I'm cutting yard trees.   

Mike

glaze

Quote from: oldsaw on December 12, 2005, 03:02:33 PM
Dan, you aren't very creative are you.  A drill, a hacksaw, 4 bolts, and a quick trip to our local "metal by the foot" joint, and I can get you whatever depth you wish.  I may not even need the hacksaw.

Oldsaw

If you are the same person who gave me the good advice on the arborsite forum I will thank you again.  I wrote your instructions down and it was some of the very best information I have read on quartering sawing a tree.

Mike

IndyIan

You could quarter the tree freehand with the same saw and bar and chain that you would use in the alaskan.  With a bit of practice you should get pretty straight cuts.  Logosol does make a big tree quartering rig as well, its a bit $$ but maybe worth it to you.
Ian

oldsaw

Yep, guilty as charged.  I don't like to see limitations, I like to see possibilities.

Mark

Dan_Shade

I did that oldsaw :D, i made up a new set of "T's", but I've also figured, if you can go that far, you can make the whole thing!  I can 1/4 up to a 36" tree, and bigger if I take some slabs off first.

I'd recommend using a jig to quarter a tree, at a minimum to keep the boards flat, going free hand, i'd think it would wave and wander a bit.  at least with me.

I like the alaskan concept, I like how the GB supports the sawhead, the alaskan doesn't do that.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

oldsaw

Yeah, I'm a bit scared of wobbling too.  Have a deal I may have to learn fast though.

Mark

glaze

Quote from: Dan_Shade on December 12, 2005, 05:24:03 PM
I did that oldsaw :D, i made up a new set of "T's", but I've also figured, if you can go that far, you can make the whole thing!  I can 1/4 up to a 36" tree, and bigger if I take some slabs off first.

I'd recommend using a jig to quarter a tree, at a minimum to keep the boards flat, going free hand, i'd think it would wave and wander a bit.  at least with me.

I like the alaskan concept, I like how the GB supports the sawhead, the alaskan doesn't do that.

Granberg sells everything for the Alaskan sawmills which is nice, but I have heard the GB sawmill is sturdier concerning how it is mounted to the saw.  I can not find a website for GB sawmills, so I wish someone would tell me if they do have a website or contact information.  Which sawmill do you prefer most the Alaskan or the GB?

Mike

Dan_Shade

I've never seen a GB, only seen a few pictures, but even pictures are scarce...  it does look like a sturdier design.  I can see the granberg design causing bar failure after extended use.

Thank You Sponsors!