iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Edger for straight line ripping??

Started by Captain, March 05, 2006, 07:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain

Those who have edgers with their sawmill (certainly I don't  :))  ....  I have a question. 

How well does an edger do to straight line rip boards that are already dried?   You know, the normal amounts of bow that you can experience.  Can they be straightened effectively with an edger?? 

Just looking to cut down my time on the jointer and the table saw.....thanks!!

Captain

Brad_S.

I have a Morgan with a conveyor feed. IMO, the conveyor feed tracks much truer than a roller feed, but mine is not infalable, sometimes pulling as it rips and outputting a curved board. (I got it used and think there may be tracking adjustments that can be made.)

Since I have a bandmill, I do critical SLR on that rather than the edger, but if I were in your shoes, I would indeed use the edger for SLR and put up with the occasional misfeeds. Dedicated SLR's are $$! A laser would also help immensly, as lining up bows by eye is a little tricky
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

ellmoe

We leave all our hardwood (mostly oak) edger boards a la natural (live edged) to dry. After drying we bring the boards back in to rip to desired width on the edger. With very few exceptions, it does a good job as a SLR.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Norwiscutter

Great point here. This is important to me as I have come to loath the prep work I am still doing before I run anything through the Logosol.  An edger woul dbe well worth it to me if it could serve as a dual purpose machine.  A straight line rip( grizzly) will set you back 7000.00 if I am not mistaken.  Might as well get an edger at that price if it will do both jobs.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Captain

I hate to admit, I've not spent a lot of time watching an edger run.  I'll have to see if I can do that...and try some dry stuff as well.

Thanks for the comments!!

Captain

Thank You Sponsors!