iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re: Buyer Beware!

Started by Jeff, April 10, 2003, 12:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

If anyone wants more info on this post they can contact the author. I have deleted the phone numbers for MY protection.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Neil_B

They blew my thread off of the "other" forum. I guess they don't want any negativity associated with them even if it is for the good of others.
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

Jeff

The word is not negativity really, the concern is more liability. Its good that you bring up the concerns and the warnings, but in the legal definition what you say here is hear-say. To give futher information if requested to an individual privately by you is the proper way to handle it if you are trying to help protect others.

Lets look at it this way. What if a company came on here and told what a bad customer you were and not to do business with you. Even if it was true? This and other forums have to draw a line between information or postings for informations sake and information or postings done in anger or as retribution.  

The proper way to do it in my mind, while being able to mention the company (to late in this case), would be to get on and say I have this problem, is there anyone that can help. stating the problem as it exists without slamming or bad mouthing that company. You don't want to burn bridges. How is a company going to finally help if you have backed them up in a corner with no good way out?

I actually would like to be free to say hey, watch out for so and so they are trouble. But what if it aint so?

Neil_B

I certainly understand the problems associated with doing this and have done great deal of thinking about it before I posted. As mentioned before, I still feel guilty as hell for going this far but if they wanted to make ammends they would have in the 2 months plus that this has been going on. I just couldn't afford to hold back and wait, or as I figure "they" were hoping that I would just give up and deal with this on my own.
It's a tough call to go this route as it could destroy ones business structure and yes I am putting my own at risk by doing this but it's a risk I need to take. If the company came through and did something for me than I am more than willing to go to bat despite the damage I've done so far. I'm hoping that people are open minded enough to see that the company made a mistake but resolved it if it comes about.
The company is the one that took a risk by sending out a machine in this shape and now they have to deal with it.

Thanks again for all your comments and concerns
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

Jeff

My next question is are you simply using this forum to get back at a company that you feel wronged you? I have looked back over all your posts. I feel that thats what you are doing even if its unconsciously. Very few are positive. All are aimed at a company that is probably monitoring this and are setting back steaming. If it was me I would be. You have given them no incentive to come forward here and since this is one sided I have decided to go back and remove the negative comments because they are unsubstantiated and this forum was not created for this. I am not saying that you are right or wrong or anything. I have no way of knowing.  The accusations serve no benefit here as far as I can see.

Neil_B

No problem Jeff.
It's a bad spot I put this forum into and I appoligize.

Neil_B

Managed to slice a few boards up late today. Got the debarker working now and slowly getting all the hydraulics funtioning properly. Just have to figure out the setworks program, not functioning proper either, and I'm off to the races.

Jeff

Keep at it. knock em down one at a time and soon you will be complaining about all the sawdust. ;)

Neil_B

I hope so Jeff, thanks for the encouragement.

biziedizie

Way to go man! Can ya tell us when you cut your first log dog! You gotta cut a log dog to be a true mill owner. ;D

Steve

Neil_B

I'l do what I can Steve, mine are a bit harder to hit due to they are painted bright yellow. I suppose I do have to be initiated though so I'll try not to pay attention to them. I have already pulled a blade off from backing up on a wavy cant.

Neil_B

???Can you believe it? Started sawing again this morning. 2 boards cut and drive belt for the hydraulic pump is smoking. Lost tension, now I have to build a tensioner for the pump mount. :o Oh well, supposed to freeze rain later anyway. ::)

Neil_B

Well, didn't freeze rain too long so got back at it after tensioning the belt. Got 2 small logs sawn and the debarker curled up like a pretzel. Guess I'll have to redesign their debark setup. Anyone with pictures I could use to build a good one?? Pulled the blade off again today but this time the board caught a bracket on the deck during drag back. What a spot to put a bracket ???. Needless to say it's gone now.
If at first you don't succeed, redesign the darn thing. ;) ???

Bud Man

New Sawyer, The winds are bound to change- hang in there.  Obstacles Build Character !
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Neil_B

Thanks Bud Man. Is bitterness a character trait? ;D One things for sure, I'm improving my millwright skills. Now if I can only learn how to weld good, I'd be set. I am learning just to shake my head and move on though. ::)

Fla._Deadheader

New_, The "welding good" takes something you don't have, patience!!!  ::) :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Neil_B

That ran out a lonnngggg time ago!!! ;)

Neil_B

Jeff,
would you allow at least one response before you delete this post? I would like to know how to handle a situation like this.

Deadheader,
Since I don't know how to take that comment,(I'm easily confused at times), I'm going to pass on this senario and I would like you're solution to it.

-You see a truck you like at an auto show (won't mention any brands as that would start a whole new thread) You need that truck for a business you are starting after your job is done at the end of the year.
-couple months later you phone the company and order that truck. They tell you it's coming off the line and ready for delivery to you at the end of the month so you promptly send the money($45,000) to secure the purchase. You send the full amount out because they won't deliver it until it's paid in full anyway.
-4 months later and after many calls and emails it finally arrives. However, it shows up 8pm in the middle of winter being towed, full of road slush and the delivery guy drops it off and leaves. You don't sleep all night because you're inching to get out in the morning and drive it down to the carwash.
-morning comes and you go out to start it but the battery's dead. Boost it, warm it up for awhile and shut it off to go have lunch. Go back out and it's dead again, won't hold the charge so you get a new battery. You also notice that the CD player you ordered isn't in there, just a AM/FM radio.
-while putting in the new battery you see hoses leaking, grease fittings missing and the motor is sitting funny. Oh well you're a handy guy so you just snug things up a bit except for a couple of hoses which are beyond snugging.
-you email the company and tell them the problems and they say go ahead and fix it, keep track of what you did and we'll compensate you and we'll get that CD player out right away. So you do.
-well you get everything fixed up and start it up to go for a drive. Get on the road and it's wandering all over the place. What the !, so you get out and check it over and the wheels are completely out of alignment. Your pretty mad by now so you email them to come and take the truck back.Talk to the company again and same thing, go ahead and fix it and we'll compensate but we won't take it back. Warranty is FOB their plant, 2500 miles away.
-So you do and the garage that did the alignment finds all sorts of things out of whack and fixes them.
-few weeks later you go try the truck again and you notice a vibration getting worse as you drive. It's coming from the engine. You check it and find that none of the pulleys are lined up properly. Probably because the engine IS sitting funny. Email the company again but now they won't even respond to you. So you go back out and since you need that truck you start lining up the motor, redrilling mounts and such.
- by the way it's been weeks now and that CD player hasn't arrived yet, or any of the compensation.
-while getting ready to work on the motor, you notice a bracket rubbing on the fuel tank. Already a nice gouge in it. However once the motor is lined up that bracket is away from the tank but you'll have to fix that gouge before it rusts through.
- 2 months later you're still adjusting and troubleshooting things. You have 33 miles on it in 2 months. Most of the customers you had lined up have given up on you calling you unreliable and you have no money left because of all the repairs and lack of income. One customer that is waiting, you've been putting off for 2 months and is getting tired of you saying "I should be done fixing and will be there next week".

That's just a condensed senario and I could go into great detail.

Thanks

Bud Man

New Sawyer, your right, Bitterness is part of a persons Character as well as a multitude of other facets that forge a persons  temperment.  The expression: Catching Flies With Honey Rather Than Vinegar comes to mind here. Most of the eventual outcomes to any situation are controlled by how the participants reacted or overacted.  Its not what you say as much as how you say what you say.  I have personally gone out of my way and with considerable expense to me and my company to fix and repair a problem that came about in my past dealings and various businesses. I also have done just exactly what the law required to rectify a situation when I thought or percieved the other person was way out of line.  Now I don't know what transpired here but you need an attitude adjustment and pitching a fit I do not recommend as a way to catch someones charitable side of their personality. I'm am not attacking  because in the first place I don't feel that is an appropriate measure but what I'm telling you is even in the right you can sometimes lose bigtime by the attitude you express. If you feel you been beaten up unjustly speak softly and if all else fails get an attorney and settle It in civil court in a civil manner !  I wish you the very best in resolving this matter favorably but in losing ones temper I have almost always lost the battle !  Patience is a virtue and loss of temper is a curse !   Good luck in the future !
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Neil_B

I wouldn't say I'm throwing a hissy fit if that's what your getting at budman. Are you referring to the note to deadheader? If so, I'm not getting tempermental with him, just don't know if he's joking or being critical. If critical then he can read and understand a bit of what's been going on and make a decision based on that. Deadheader keeps pointing out that if I'm having a problem then post it. I do and I get that, again if it's aimed to be critical. No one knows the extent that this predicament has reached besides my own family, company in dealing and my lawyer. What I've posted here is only a small amount and extremly vague. I do appreciate the wishing of good luck because I'm probably going to need it. There have been some that were extremly helpful and some not, most don't want to bother with my whining so they don't add anything. I came here for help and was told not to be so negative. Can't ask for help on positive issues right now cause I don't need it. I need the help on the negative.

If you're referring to my posts in general. Well don't read them any more. I'll probably be booted off soon anyway.

Thanks for your input

Jeff

QuoteIf you're referring to my posts in general. Well don't read them any more. I'll probably be booted off soon anyway.

I'll be willing to bet he is. Listen to Bud Man. Your attitude is obvious. To everyone. This is the last I'll say on it. We will be glad to help you, or try to help you with saw and milling problems if you ask us to but I refuse to let this board be used as a personal sounding board. You are getting no where fast on that track.

I can sit here and read from your posts that lots of your trouble is self induced from first, your inexperience with the mill, and then the attitude you approach the perceived problems making it only worse. I chose to stay quiet and remark to you in private that this was not place for attitudes like you brought from the onset of registration for the board, apparent by your choice of user text, user pic, and susequent negative posts. Almost every post, even since we said this would stop has a little twisting jab in it. Since you brought it out again, I'll say it here.

I've heard enough to make up my mind. Again, if you want help, its here. If you want to make nice and cheer up, we're here. If you want to continue the way you have been, refer to your last statement in the previous post. The forum has not been fun for me the last couple weeks. Making a post like this makes me want to go watch T.V.

Neil_B

Sorry to hear you're still reading me the wrong way. I guess it's not just you but everyone else as well, it's apparent yes.
I thought I would find willing support and help here but I guess I was wrong. Like I said earlier, it's hard to be positive at this state. I appreciate the critisism and it's obvious I'm just whining so I'll discontinue.

beenthere

Jeff
We do very much appreciate you making those tough decisions. The forum is a better place for it.
Thanks very much for doing it right.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ron Wenrich

I'm not trying to gang up on you, but, I don't recall you asking any questions.  You are making more of a statement, then you give your solution.  

How much experience do you have running any sort of a mill?  There is an associated learning curve with any piece of equipment.  I screwed up a lot of logs when I first started out.  I blamed the saw, but it wasn't the saw's fault.  

Have you read and do you understand your owner's manual?  Some of the problems you encounter should be covered in there.  Trying to re-engineer your equipment isn't the answer.  Sometimes you can screw things up pretty bad, unless you really know what you're doing and how the equipment is supposed to function.

We bought a brand new circle mill and we had problems.  Some were from manufacturing, some from design, some from installation, and some from the operator.  We overcame each one of them.  We tackled them one at a time.

The manufacturer helped with parts to an extent.  Our re-design was an upgrade provided by a mechanical engineer.  We didn't approach the situation thinking the equipment was junk.  We looked at what was going on, how it was supposed to operate, and what needed to be done to improve it.  Most were small upgrades.  It was part of the learning curve, and it still continues.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Bud Man

New Saywer,  there is no throwing off the board to be had here, just fun and interesting dialog between people having similar interest's.  This is not a dart board where people throw sharp objects at each other , quite the contrary, the Forum is a place to go to unwind and enjoy helping and learning from others experiences. My advise was meant to give you the benefit of many years of mistakes that I've made, not criticize your actions.    This Forum and the personalities here takes a little getting used to,  settle In , relax , give a little - take a little,  interact and enjoy.   Sure beats the sitcoms or the nightly news !!

Thank You Sponsors!