iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question on Dolmar 6400 Carb Limiter

Started by tbrickner, February 28, 2010, 03:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrickner

I just got a Dolmar 6400 that has a red Carb Limiter. 

Is there an easy way to take away the Red high limiter or do you just shave off the red tab on it to allow it to spin more?  I know on a lot of carbs you can just pry the red tab off but am not sure on this saw.

Also does a muffler mod on this do anything for performance or just allows the saw to breath more?

Thanks,
Tom

ehp

you can just cut the tab off the limiter and all will work fine, yes a muffler mod as performance as well gets rid of heat

JohnG28

You want to put the limiter back on once trimmed though, as it will help keep the carb from vibrating out of tune
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

tbrickner

Thanks fellas.  It seemed that taking the red limiter out would be tough.  Thanks for the input of leaving it on and just getting the tab off.  I wouldn't have know about the screw slippage.

QUESTION:

Didn't know if there was a thread that said something about how to do your own muffler mod on the Dolmar 6400.  I didn't know if there was anything more needed than to drill a hole and cover it with a spark arrester?

If someone knows of a thread showing how to mod the Dolmar 6400.  Let me know.

Thanks again for all your help.
Tom

captain_crunch

Don't know about Back East but if you get caught on State or Fed land out West with an altered saw(includeing muffler) You In A Heap O Trouble Boy. So I would find an old one to play with and put stock one on shelf just in case
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

tdi-rick

No need to open up the 6401 muffler, it's the same muffler as the 7901 and IIRC the outlet is roughly 75% of the exhaust port face area,  (measured at the cylinder/piston face) so any gains other than more noise will be minimal to none.
The older I get the faster I was.......

Thank You Sponsors!