iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best type of spark plugs for chainsaws

Started by tbrickner, April 10, 2011, 10:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrickner

Just wondering what is the best make of spark plugs for chainsaws.  I know with some of the new materials in the past 10 years they have improved upon them.

Has anyone had any luck with the newer spark plugs and do they add any advantage?

Sorry if this topic has been brought up before.

Thanks,
Tom

tlandrum

www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

ladylake

so long as a saw run good I can't see a plug adding any advantage.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

isawlogs

I will buy Bosch if they don't carry Bosch, then I will go for NGK. I have bought Champion in the past but they seamed to not last as long as the Bosch plug.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

HolmenTree

Depends what country those Bosch plugs are made in. I ordered a box of 10 from Baileys a while back and found they are made in Brazil. Had a few duds already after limited use. Never had that problem with the Boschs I've run made in Germany.

Willard. 
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Ernie

NGK by a long way, they seem to outlast anything else in the chainsaws, ATV, and mill
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

chucker

"CHAMPION" all the way, from start to finsh... it will get you there and get it done!!
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

barbender

I've always found all spark plugs to be pretty much equal, the only exception to that is Champion. I think every spark plug I have ever fouled was a champion, I'm not real fond of them. I usually use NGK, between a Husky 346, Jred 2165 and 2171 I have never fouled a single plug in any of those saws. I know my 2171 still has the original NGK plug in it, I think I have had that saw 4 years and I run my saws a little richer on pre-mix oil, too. My 2165 still had the original NGK in it when it threw a rod bearing, I might have changed the plug in the 346 when it melted down and got rebuilt ::) I don't even think about spark plugs anymore.
Too many irons in the fire

cheyenne

NGK'S for me I run them in everything........ The one in my wheeler has been there since I bought it new in 2005 as has the same battery.... I run 1-350....2-346XP'S...2-359'S.....1-372XP Ported & 1-3120XP & the plugs in those saws are 3 yrs & older.......Cars ,Trucks.Tractor,Skid steer, Excavator, Saw mill, Splitter & Wife..... 8) 8) 8)........Never had a fouled or bad plug yet.....But the Wife does act like a fouled plug when I drag mud in the house....... smiley_furious3 pull_smiley smiley_furious3..........Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

sawyer04

Quote from: HolmenTree on April 11, 2011, 10:54:25 AM
Depends what country those Bosch plugs are made in. I ordered a box of 10 from Baileys a while back and found they are made in Brazil. Had a few duds already after limited use. Never had that problem with the Boschs I've run made in Germany.

Willard.  

Go figure, the Bosch plugs I got were made in India.

chucker

the "no good kind" or "botched" plugs make great fishing sinkers for catfish !! if you lose them your not out of anything, but gain a grin just knowing they wont be seen again....  8) 8) ;D
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

John Mc

Quote from: cheyenne on April 14, 2011, 08:39:55 PM
...But the Wife does act like a fouled plug when I drag mud in the house...

She sputters, acts erratically, and won't "ignite your fire"? Sounds familiar.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

HolmenTree

Quote from: sawyer04 on April 15, 2011, 12:11:31 AM
Quote from: HolmenTree on April 11, 2011, 10:54:25 AM

Willard.  

Go figure, the Bosch plugs I got were made in India.

Whats next, China? Yes I have a few India ones too.
For a matter of interest I still have a couple of brand new in the box Bosch WS6  plugs with " West Germany" on them.

Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Cut4fun

I got some older NOS Bosch that still has the brass colored screw on tips.  The rest of the newer ones have silver tips.

simplicityguy92

SwampDonkey

Quote from: tlandrum on April 11, 2011, 01:19:49 AM
i use the bosch or ngk

Brazil made Bosch WSR 6F here, 1 plug a season bush whack'in 100 + acres Stihl FS550.

or NGK BPMR 7A
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Smurf

Quote from: simplicityguy92 on April 15, 2011, 11:38:14 PM
any body try those e3 plugs yet

Yeah have tried a few ,  one within my lawnmower and another on snowmobile . Probably to soon to tell , I usually get a few yrs use with both examples. I know that they have sure reduced the price from when they first were introduced.

downunder Trav

have always used bosch cause thats what my stihls have had in them from new and have never had a dud. Hardly ever replace them, only replace them when it looks like they are starting to get blowby or I think I should just for the sake of doing it.
I am a weekend warrior with a chainsaw, But the collection is starting to grow, Dedicated slabber here I come!!!!!

Yoopersaw

dnash

I found no difference with the E3 vs. the standard NGK or Bosch. I'm also not a fan of Champions. We bought a new set to put in the woodsplitter (Wisconsin VG4D) and they worked very poorly...barely any change from the old ones they were replacing. We took them back to NAPA and exchanged them for a set from AC Delco and haven't had any troubles in roughly 1.5 years.
JD 440C
JD 640D
Timberjack 205HR
JD 329E skidsteer
JD CT322 skidsteer

SwampDonkey

I use Champion in my push mower, but not my saws. I can use a Champion for years on that old mower because I don't put a lot of hours on it now that I have a lawn tractor.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

I hear these stories of fouled plugs and kind of wonder .I've never experianced a fouled plug on a two cycle engine ever .Including old 50 year old outboard boat motors ran on 16 to 1 mix .

ely

my stihl chainsaw will foul a plug, any brand if you look at it wrong. it needs some carb help. my honda tiller motor has a float stuck in it, it fouls the plug also.
we have a welder with a red seal engine on it, at times it will foul all the plugs at the same time, same with the 300 international tractor. the problems all come from the carbs dumping too much gas.

i also have a 175 hp evinrude that will foul a plug or two every now and then. but i think its because the coils drop out on it.

i use boshe in the saws and ngk in the boat and atv.

Al_Smith

Oh I 've had a lot of worn out old tractor and car engine foul plugs .Not surprising after 150, 000 miles with the valve seals all but non existant or the rings completely shot .

Even with a good set of rings  tractor and welder engines will foul them out if the low speed jet is set too rich ,given enough time if they idle long enough . It gets set so it will idle good at cold temps so you don't have to half choke it for 10 minutes at 2 below zero .

bedway

I have a herd of chainsaws. Some of these ive found, people have given to me, or they just showed up on my door step. Does anyone know of a chart that tells of spark plug/chainsaw application?

Thank You Sponsors!