iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

opinion on cub cadet commercial saws

Started by Greg_B., February 14, 2004, 06:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg_B.

I am considering buying one of the cub cadet commercial saws. anyone have any experience with this line of saws?
Norwood mark 4;4020 Branson Tracter backhoe frt.lder; 18' dovetail trailer;Bri-Mar dump trailer 11,500 gross; Beefed-Up 2004 F-350 diesel; workshop full of woodworking tools. So many toys, eh tools so little time.

Blue9R

Greg -

Haven't run this saw, looked em over at the store.  Seems to be a well built line of saws with magnesium crankcases & chain covers, items normally associated with a pro line of chainsaws.

The manufacturer is Efco from Italy and also supplies the current line of John Deere chainsaws.  Probably a good question to ask is if parts are interchangeable & available at John Deere.

BTW , how does the Cub Cadet compare on price with John Deere ?  The JD 56 cc, 16" bar, is currently on sale for $304, normally $323 at the internet sales site.

oldsaw-addict

I would think that if the Cub Cadet name is being used on a saw made by someone else, they must be in a fairly deep hole. Why cant each company just get their Schnitzel together and make their own saws without contracting some other outside company to do it for them? I liked the McCulloch brand chainsaws before the Taiwanese got their hands wrapped around the companys throat, The MAC was once king of the forest, now the forest is king of the mac. Every company except for Stihl, Husky, and Jonsered is now basically CRAP thanks to corporate buyouts and takeovers.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

redpowerd

i was at the local ih dealership and noticed cub cadet now has a line of utility vehicles. took me no time to relize it was a john deere gator with cub badging.!!! what a 360!! :o :o
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

oldsaw-addict

I personally favor Stihl, or when a good stihl is not available, Husky. But I havent seen a JD Gator made with cub cadet stickers on it yet, I dont like the idea of it either. its like the thought of not having the toys there to make boards with when I want to, very scary.

jokers

QuoteI would think that if the Cub Cadet name is being used on a saw made by someone else, they must be in a fairly deep hole. Why cant each company just get their Schnitzel together and make their own saws without contracting some other outside company to do it for them?

Oldsaw, doesn`t this relate to the "economy of scale" concept? If everyone who wanted to sell saws had to bring their own designs and manufactured products to market, including r&d, warranty, and marketing, the prices would be so astronomical that it wouldn`t be practical. Everyone including Stihl and Husky is doing or has done this to some measure. By rebadging a high quality but lesser known brand as Cub Cadet, the company can provide a good product at competitive prices. In some underserved markets this pairing of products can be a benefit to the consumer and it helps the small dealer carry a diversified product line with a lower investment than having several different brands and dealer agreements.

Oh, BTW, Cub Cadet is simply a brand name owned by MTD. One of their many different levels of quality and price point.

Russ

Corley5

Doesn't/didn't Efco make Olympyk saws and brushcutters/trimmers?  Or did Efco buy them out?  There's a guy who used to swear by their saws and his crew preferred them over Huskys and Jonsereds
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

logbutcher

8)   That's correct, the new Balsam Fir Schnitzel Power Ported all-battery chainsaw. Nicknamed " Terminator Boss" and comes in nine (count 'em: 9 !) interchangeable colour plates to blend with the season and region................ :P
This could go on and on and on........

redpowerd

NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

redpowerd

oldsaw, its more like selecting a hummer, paying for a tank, and gettin a jeep :D :D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

oldsaw-addict

Ok I'll just say this then, Cub Cadet used to be an independent company, now they are merely a subsudiary of MTD. That doesnt say much about individual companies now does it? Oh by the way, will the bucking spike off a Stihl 066 fit the inner spike mounting holes on a 670?

Tom

Cub Cadet always had a pretty yellow and white paint scheme, I thought.  :)

J_T

Yep that was the best thing about um. :D :D
Jim Holloway

redpowerd

cub cadet was IH's lawn mowin comp.
the first cub cadet(badge) was a farmall cub with a factory(i think) mower.
they started paintin em white and yeller in the sixties
i need to brush up on this history stuff
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Corley5

They painted em red for a while just before Tenneco/Case bought out IH in the early 80s.  I'm not sure when MTD bought Cub Cadet.  I don't think Cub Cadets were ever made by Case/IH

redpowerd

i found it, www.ihcubcadet.com

has a lot about internationals relation with cub cadets
i like the red lawnmowers and the white+yeller cub model A's
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

tony_marks

in answer to the original question.. the saws if indeed they are efco are good saws.. ive got the 962.. its rite there with stihl and husky..good equipment.. some made for pro service some for homeowner .. i suspect..i
  if u get the 962 and it still has an adjustable carb.. u getting a good one .. if cub doesnt call it that its the one with 61 1/2 cc

PatrickG

...and before anyone has the audacity to post any more technicaly relevant information I'd like to say this.    T H  I S

Thany you for the opportunity.

I lived aboard a sailboat for nearly 9 years.  Its auxilliary engine was a Palmer P-60 which was a marine conversion of the I-H Cub tractor engine.  Next best thing to a diesel in that size.  It wasn't offered with a chainbar accessory and the riging would have been a hassle anyway.

:D  Pat   :D

Corley5

Pat,
  You're talking about the little flat head four cylinder that first appeared in Farmall Cubs in 1947 and was used until the end of the IH Cub Cadets?  They were also used as power units for combines and balers.  What'd they do to them for marine use?  They must have installed a water pump as the Cubs were Therm-siphon raiator cooled.

Hunter

From what I here the Cub cadets are decent saws. The are made by Efco and yes the same ones that make the JD's.
They are a bit heavier than the comprable husqvarna.
Other than that the are ok.
Hunter
Jmccomas@insight.rr.com
614-554-2169
Dolmar / Efco / Redmax / Silvey Grinders Sales

Thank You Sponsors!