iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I think I can save the old 266!

Started by Palletmiller, February 22, 2004, 09:01:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palletmiller

Well I got my saw apart this morning and im not sure but i dont think its to bad? The front of the piston was pretty badly worn like it might have been running to lean . When iI went to remove the ring it was stuck in the piston. I dont have a hone but i used a pease of scoutch bright pad on a drill and it cleaned the cylender up pretty good but I dont know how good it has to be. Any one have an idea on the price of a piston and ring set for the 266? And how does the carb come off?  O and i wasnt running the saw when it took a crap it was lent to a FRIEND and this is how i got it back!!!  Any more help will be great Thanks Scott

Palletmiller

Hay Thanks for all the great advice on lending tools , thats wonderful BUT does any one  have any thing to say about my saw or am I going to just keep getting slapped in the face about lending out tools! Way to kick a guy thanks! Scott

Jeff

Yea no kiddin. I apologize for the forum Palletmiller. I deleted those posts. Unnessesary to say the least.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

The cylinder and piston must be clean without scratches.
A new jug and head (50mm) will cost a little over $200.
Did you get the carb off?

Palletmiller

Thanks guys, Kevin I didnt get the carb off yet and dont see any bolts or screws holding it on. I have to call around tomarrow and see if i can get a shop manual. This is the first saw I have had apart but it wasnt doing any good sitting on the shelf ! I think i can clean the rest of the cylinder up with a hone. I know i  have to get a piston and  ring set but if the cylinder woulnt clean up I think it will go for parts . Thanks again Scott

Kevin

Do you know if that's the Tillotson HS carb?

Hawkin50

Ya just give the cylinder a good polishing to remove all the aluminum thats sticking to it.Most importtance area is from the bottom of the ports up ward to the head.Thats a chome lined cylinder and the chome is pritty hard so you dont had to worry about takeing the chome off bye just giveing it a good polishing.Also just take the top off the carb. look close and you will see a screen in a hole and see if some one last a pair of there socks in it.But  my thoughts are that the person useing your saw likely put the wrong mix in it.So I wood drain the gas tank and mix up a new batch of mix before starting the saw up after you get it back together.New piston should run you around no more than 100.00.That will give you a new piston,  ring, and wrist pin and c lips.When you install piston,look on the top of the piston and you will see an arrow this points towards the front of the saw.If you put it in a half turn out  you will have no power and also there the chance that the ring will catch on the port and either lock up or break the ring .There not the same as a automotive piston and rings were the rings turn in the ring groves.Also before slideing the cylinder over the piston take some of your oil that you mix with the gas and give the wrist  pin and the rings and cylinder a coating ..Good luck..Hawkin.

Palletmiller

Kevin I think thats what it is , wright now it just looks like its hanging on to the cylinder with a plastic intake in the center. I will check more on the carb tomarrow. Thanks

Palletmiller

Hay,Hawkin Thanks for the info on the assembly , any thoughts on getting that carb off ? I would like to get it off so i can hone the cylinder. Maybe I will have the old girl puring by the end of the week !!! Scott

Hawkin50

Ya Im hear.Well it would be fast to do the job than for me to try and explane.Take air cleaner off.Disconnect the choke..Should be 2 screws on the back side of the carb.remove these.If thre are now screws then it had on to the cylinder by a rubber bellows.If it has a bellows then it will have a small clampwere the bellows hooks on to th cylinder.May I ask ,how did you get the cylinder off the saw to hone it with out removeing the carb first.Just askin.If that sw has a rubber bellows check it close for any holes or tares.If it has any then thats what burt your saw out.Sucking air in  those holes causes a lean running saw.Also check you av mout if there bad this will cause the bellows problem as bad mouts causes to much strech in the rubber bellows and causes them to tare.That what causes the sthles to burn out.Seen many.My experence.For what its worth.Hawlin.

Palletmiller

Hay Hawkin, I disconected the linkage and choke rod and the carb came off with the cylinder . Now I just cant get the carb off the cylinder ? Scott

Kevin

There should be two long bolts securing the carb.
Is there a plastic cover on the carb that covers the bolt heads?

dozerdan

There is no rubber boot between the carb and the barrel on a 266. They used a hard fiber type insulator block. Yes  It is rather easy to pull the carb off along with the barrel, I also find it to be faster that way.
 The carb is held onto the barrel with the same two bolts that hold the air filter adapter in place.
Later
Dan
Danny Henry
Central Pa.
Home of the Original Power Ported Saws
570 658 6232
dozerdan@sunlink.net or
dozerdan@nmax.net

Palletmiller

Thanks Dan thats the critter!
 Scott

Thank You Sponsors!