iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

8" 20hp Honda Warrior

Started by Puffergas, November 30, 2014, 01:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puffergas

In the spring I'm planning to take the bandsaw, sharpener and setter to the auction. Looking to get back into some kind of circle mill and am leaning strongly toward the 8" 4cycle 20hp Warrior (TurboSaw).

Are they the real thing, solid investment??

Will the gearbox hold up?

Will I be able to buy parts 15 years from now?

Any info is welcome..!!

Used only part time until I retire and can work full time....  8)

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Rando

Been looking at the same model myself. Look forward to hearing some answers from people that have one.
What brought you to this model compared to the other swingers out there?

Puffergas

Quote from: Rando on November 30, 2014, 01:17:21 PM
What brought you to this model compared to the other swingers out there?

He has a lot of videos posted so I kind of feel like he's not trying to hide something.

Dang slick machine.

Easy to push.

Price.

Quality of design vs price.

I hope quality of material and manufacturing but that's the big question...

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

sigidi

For me, after using a swing mill for 11 years I'd be concerned 20hp is enough for 8" model. When others have 8" with 50% more HP and it works well. 20hp seems light on.

Lucas have tons of videos on you tube, if its a matter of trying to hide something...
Always willing to help - Allan

Rando

I was also considering the Lucas 6-18 and the Junior Peterson. For some reason I keep going back to the Turbosaw.
Already have a bandmill so it's not urgent I get one but with the sale Turbosaw is having it makes it real interesting.

sigidi

I had a 6-18 for my first 6 years of milling - was a fantastic machine! Wish I never sold it, awesome bit of gear

NZJake

Hi Guys,

Jake here, definitely not trying to hide anything.

For me it's not so much about hp. You'll note that most swingblade mills saw the horizontal pass in two goes. The feed takes the chore out of this. In Fact I show this cutting 3 going 2 returning (back cutting) and final forward cut does the last 3" for a full 8" wide board. Makes horizontal cuts real quick with out wasting the return cut. This would be a pain if pushing - different story with feed automation.

Vertical your working with gravity. Sawing your hard oak at the Paul Bunyan show didn't lead me to think it was under powered. Seemed just right for me and we were running an 8". Note that we run 4 teeth. Also we won't have the gearbox issues as we are not pushing the hp limits. Also a nice extended shaft with double bearings take the belt tension away from the box.

We are the new guys on the block but our design in the Warrior range has now settled down and we are pretty happy with the end result. I don't fore see significant design changes toward that line in the immediate future. Really the final element was beefing our main beam up for the Auto line.

Now we are shifting R&D back onto the Gladiator with simplification in mind. That's our 12" line. Updating facebook with the current build weekly.

Pretty happy with how simple our Warrior range has ended up. The automation is very basic stuff that's very serviceable - no special hard to source items require.

Cheers
Jake

Wife says I woke up one morning half asleep uttering thin kerf and high production, I think I need a hobby other than milling?

Puffergas

Quote from: sigidi on December 01, 2014, 03:13:47 PM
I had a 6-18 for my first 6 years of milling - was a fantastic machine! Wish I never sold it, awesome bit of gear

Did you mainly saw 6" and below or did you saw a lot of wider boards by sawing double cut horizontally. If so did you remove the guard  or turn the saw pod around?

Thanks
Jeff

Biocmp

What sale is turbosaw having?

Also to NZJake:

Do you have any videos of setting up the turbosaw in the field? A video wheeling the carriage in?  A video of sawing on uneven ground, where the log was sawn? Since that is the advertised strength of this swingblade, I'd love to see some footage of how that works. 

brdmkr

Quote from: Puffergas on December 03, 2014, 01:22:24 AM

Did you mainly saw 6" and below or did you saw a lot of wider boards by sawing double cut horizontally. If so did you remove the guard  or turn the saw pod around?

Thanks

I know this wasn't directed to me, but I looked into doing this with my mill.  It seems that you can only cut around 1" thick with the guard removed.  I figured it best to just turn the carriage.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

NZJake

Biocmp...

Yea that is top on my priority list. Next mills we make I'll get that footage together.

Now that we have gone up in weight regarding the bigger 22hp honda and heavy duty beam portability has become a little more than carrying the saw to set it up. We have a couple of options for the 4-stroke.

Option 1: Small standard trailer can transport it. Place a wooden horse under one end of the beam. 2 pins drop the base cross skid off. Then wind up the post with the winch. Wheel the trailer under the post and then lower it back down onto the trailer. Transfer the carriage weight up onto the trailer and lower it to the trailer base. Now disconnect the drive ropes and split the beam in the centre. Load the remaining items onto the trailer. This process will take around 15minutes.

Option 2: We have now available an option which costs 1200 USD where buy we supply a small dolly attachment with leaf springs and light panel. You just lower the beam onto it clamping with 4 bolts. You then drop the base skids with the removable pins again. Clamp on the tow hitch at the drive end post base and tow it away. This will take 5-10minutes.

Our little chainsaw mills are much more portable - designed to carry into the bush rather than wheel. 2 guys can carry the bits with ease. The 6" is possible to carry with one man.

Setup goes something like this...
The beam and end posts can remain assembled. If you have a roof rack.

The end posts slide onto the base skids (which includes a rotatable spigot around 12" high). So the frame is VERY simple to come together. Then simply carry the carriage to the beam and install the vertical guard which captivates the carriage to the beam.

I do appreciate I am missing a video of this, it's coming.

Cheers
Jake
Wife says I woke up one morning half asleep uttering thin kerf and high production, I think I need a hobby other than milling?

NZJake

Regarding your other questions...

Check out our facebook page. There is a photo gallery of users with these mills.

Just search turbosawmill in the facebook search field.

That's the best I can do.

Biocmp

Thanks Jake, I've looked at the FB page a bit. I have some more digging to do. Thanks for the responses.

Chris

sigidi

Quote from: Puffergas on December 03, 2014, 01:22:24 AM

Thanks

Sorry, missed this...

I did do a lot of stuff 6" and less, but also did a bunch of step treads down here (10*2) also large bearers (8*3)...having the model 10 sure helps with making step treads easy, but the model 6 has a special place in my heart - was much nicer to do 1" boards with it

54Dutchman

I have a Warrior/earlier chainsaw motor version.  There is not a owner dealer support in USA, everything I needed or inquired about went to NZ.
Look at comments on how valuable dealer support has proven with all saw brands.  Would not buy again.

NZJake

Hi Dutchman,

If you need any support call Mike at TSMUSA. Unfortunately when you purchased two years ago we did not have anyone in the states. Mike is actually my brother in law.

I flew up to him about a year ago and gave him training so he can help with support. He is now very involved with support and sales at your end.

509-979-9381

54Dutchman

I will be trying to use the Warrior again next year, it is in storage right now, and will try to contact Mike at that time.  The last time I asked for help from Mike was about one year ago and got no reply.
Rando, add all the costs before you send a down payment; Saw, shipping, duties and taxes.  I had to find a broker before the shipping company would release the saw from the port of entry.

Rando

Thank you, I will figure it all out before money exchanges hands.

NZJake

Hi Dutchman,

I know NZ seems as though it's on the other side of the planet but I am just an email away. Pop me an email and I would be happy to call you and work through any issues you may have. Your mill was one of the very first Warriors sold and granted there were many things discovered over the two years that make the mills what they are now. Having said that I have heard great success stories from earlier owners too. I'm keen to help get your mill tuned up so drop me a line when your ready. I am the best guy to talk technical issues. Mike can help solve or relay issues too.

Now days the shipping cost covers everything to the nearest local depot ready to collect. We are trying to make things easier for people.

Woodbilly

Quote from: NZJake on December 11, 2014, 01:14:35 PM
Hi Dutchman,

I know NZ seems as though it's on the other side of the planet but I am just an email away.

I have a c/s warrior, great product. Service is not so great.

Thank You Sponsors!