iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is buying a portable mill worth it?

Started by Jordon, March 05, 2015, 12:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jordon

Hi, I am thinking about purchasing either a wood-mizer LT 35 manual vs LT 35 hydraulic mill.  I have ran the LT 35 manual mill and it seemed nice.  I would be looking to use the mill for a custom sawing business.  I know there are a number of mill options but I am not comfortable taking on more than 20K of debt.  I live on the NH / VT line.  I guess my question is, how do you folks view the portable mill market, and what have you experience been?  Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jordon.

tmarch

If you doing custom sawing it's basically take the mill to the logs or haul the logs to the mill and lumber to the customer.  Lots easier to tow the mill IMHO.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Jordon.

Go to the top of the page and click on "extras" and you will see several choices, click on find a sawyer, to find some sawyers in your area.

Visit some of them and ask lots of questions!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ocklawahaboy

Also, ask questions of NH and VT.  If you live close to the border, you will likely be asked to saw in both states which may have license and tax implications.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Jordon.

From experience I can tell you that building up a customer base takes some time.  How much time depends upon the available market and the number of sawyers already in that market.  There is also the deal about restrictions/codes/ordinances limiting the use of rough sawn lumber.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Ocklawahaboy on March 05, 2015, 01:27:28 PM
Also, ask questions of NH and VT.  If you live close to the border, you will likely be asked to saw in both states which may have license and tax implications.
Crossing the border with mill & truck 10,001 lbs combined GVWR or more, means having a USDOT number (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, FCMSA), easy to get, but obeying the 2" thick rule book that comes with it, not so easy.  Consider whether you really want to develop business across state lines.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Seaman

Welcome Jordan.
If there are other bandmillers in your area, and no swingmills, I suggest you look into a swingmill and slabber. It is a great niche market that can complement the local portable mill circuit.
I get tips on big logs from bandmillers, and also pass on the smaller log jobs to them.

FRank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

shakebone

At least get the hyd it would be hard to get enough done in a day to make money with a manual mill charging by the bdft and if u was charging by the hr customers would get upset cause u couldn't produce enough I run a stationary mill and portable we do 25:1 on the stationary in our area just my 2 cents which is about all its worth ! Good luck
Lt40 super desiel , LT 35 hyd , New Holland ls 180 , Case 75xt ,
So many logs so little time.

Jordon

Thanks for all of the thoughts.  I am unfamiliar with a swingmill.  I have been exploring the local market and talking with local sawyers.  I am wondering what the best way to connect with the people that are looking to clear lots and build homes.  Print adds and cards, talking with architects and contractors.?.  I do business across the state line now and it does not seem to be much of a factor. 

I do custom planing, and plan on bringing a 36" planer on line later this year.  I was thinking that having the sawmill would be a nice addition to the business.  But the work has to be there for me to justify it.  If you have the work, I hear that a mill can pay for itself in short order.  I have been running some numbers and this seems true.  I am leaning toward the hyd mill. 

Thank You Sponsors!