iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coffee??

Started by Magicman, December 08, 2015, 08:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

I sit here scratching my head .Why would coffee grounds take on a place like they were industrial waste on an epic scale ?Toss them in the garbage can and be done with it .Although I suppose they could be recycled to feed earth worms . ???

thecfarm

aidheadish, I like your morning routine.
Meaning the front and back porch.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

If you are really in a quandary as to what to do with those old grounds, you can use them to cultivate Oyster Mushrooms, it's quite easy. Here's a LINK. You can have a nice little crop in about 20 days. There's a group 2 towns south of us that teaches mushroom cultivation and they go around to the restaurants in their town and collect the grounds to use in their classes. They supply a collection bucket and pick up and replace buckets weekly. They also collect and use corrugated cardboard for the same thing.
 Mushrooms are decomposers, that's what they do, and they can do it it just about anything, including fuel oil.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

LeeB

Had a hankerin' for some stovetop coffee today. 

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

aigheadish

My problem isn't the grounds and what to do with them it's getting the grounds off the french press. All those little coils and screens hold on to the grounds regardless of how hard I bash the thing into the side of the trash can (Or compost bucket). It's takes rinsing the thing off to get it clean, but then the grounds go down the sink, into the septic tank... I guess I just need a bucket of water that I can use only for that.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Magicman

Your dilemma is why I used my French Press exactly once.  I hates coffee grounds and PatD hates them even more when they are spattered where they do not belong.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Old Greenhorn

French press, yeah. I actually have one, who'd have thought? :D
 But mine is an added feature on my jet boil stove (as optional equipment). I use my jet boil for long hunts and backpacking trips and it's great. It is a fast way to make a good cup of coffee, but I don't use one around the house. I need about 10 good cups a day so I never bring a knife to a gunfight, so to speak. So we have a 12 cup Faber ware pot set on a timer for 4:45.
 As far as cleaning the french press goes, I throw the bulk of the grounds in the bushes and dip the strainer in the stream and shake it around. Good to go for the next time. :D This probably doesn't help you out much Austin, sorry. But never let it be said that I didn't do the least I could do. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

aigheadish

Haha! My stream is dry right now, I can't dip it in there, not to mention who knows what's rolling into it from the field across the way when it does have water. 

I bought the small, single cup, french press, I like the coffee it makes a lot but I guess I need to save an old coffee can with some water in it to knock off the grounds, then dump it outside once a week or something.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

doc henderson

start a worm ranch.  "Night crawlers for sale".  that is what we did when we were kids a while back.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Al_Smith

All this "French " talk I had to go to You Tube to figure out what in the world that contraption was all about .I've came to the conclusion it's just another way to skin the same cat so to speak .I suppose with so many methods you could fill an old sock with coffee grounds and dunk it in a pot of hot water like a tea bag and get coffee .Might be a good idea though to run it through the rinse cycle in the washing machine several times first else it might have a little hint of Tide or Downy  in the cuppa . :)

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

aigheadish

That's funny Al_Smith. We went to Costa Rica and that's pretty much precisely how they made their coffee, though it was just a sock shaped piece of fabric that was filled with grounds, hung over your mug, and hot water poured through. When you are done you toss the grounds and rinse the sock out. It would gain flavor over it's multiple usages until you either really washed it or threw it away. It also made a very tasty coffee.

This is what they look like.

Al_Smith

That little mesh sock is a mini version of those giant urns we had on the U-boats .Those were like 300 cup capacity with a couple pounds of coffee that would not only float a nail but the mid watch coffee could float a rail road spike .That coffee came in a giant square tin can that must have weighed at least 20 pounds .Been drinking that stout stuff since I was 19 years and before too long will be 75 and it hasn't killed me yet .Cast iron stomach perhaps . ;D

SwampDonkey

It wasn't suppose to do ya in was it Al? :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Texas Ranger

Quote from: Al_Smith on November 29, 2022, 08:51:27 PM
That little mesh sock is a mini version of those giant urns we had on the U-boats .Those were like 300 cup capacity with a couple pounds of coffee that would not only float a nail but the mid watch coffee could float a rail road spike .That coffee came in a giant square tin can that must have weighed at least 20 pounds .Been drinking that stout stuff since I was 19 years and before too long will be 75 and it hasn't killed me yet .Cast iron stomach perhaps . ;D
We ground pounders had a similar sit up.  A 55 gallon garbage can full of water with an diesel immersion heater.  Burlap bag full of grounds and it was there for the duration,  towards the end the stuff was used to seal tires.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

K-Guy

Quote from: Texas Ranger on November 30, 2022, 03:29:38 PMdiesel immersion heater

I used to love newbies lighting them for the first time, some of the bangs were impressive. One kid blew the second stack extension off But the rest of the pipes were clean! smiley_jester
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Magicman

I was given 4 "Starbucks Christmas Holiday Blend" Keurig cups.  I drank 3 and the other goes into the garbage.  I was told to try some cinnamon in it so I did this morning.  Still Yuck!!
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Al_Smith

Another story .Some 8 years ago I took a trip to Colorado .At a rest stop near Chicago on I 80 there was a Starbucks where I enquired to the counter  lady if they had any reasonable priced coffee other than than 8 bucks a cup stuff that was actually made for people who really don't like coffee .Sure enough 16 oz ,two bucks . Good coffee too .

sawguy21

Starbucks opened here on Monday but being on a pension I don't think I will be going. I like their medium roast but not at that price. :o
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

I kind of look at Starbucks and others who get on that so called designer coffee about like so called craft beers .The taste of most of the later mentioned reminds me of a brew made in LaTrobe Pa .It has a picture of a horse on the bottle if that says anything  .Use your imagination . ;D

K-Guy

I went to a Starbuck's Kiosk in the Edmonton airport at 6 in the morning after driving all night. I went to the counter and asked for a medium black coffee with 3 sugars on the side(so I could for the coffee strength). All I got attitude about they're stupid sizes, so I told I couldn't be bothered to learn they're stupid language to get a lousy cup of overpriced coffee. I never went to one again after that. I don't have any patience for the stuck up morons working there.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

aigheadish

Hey now Al! I love a rolling rock. That's my cheap beer of choice. Wait, now I'm questioning if you are talking about RR? 

Al_Smith

Aha you knew the horse brand  ;D It's like Starbucks not cheap ,at least not around here .Once on a trip through the Laurel Highlands in Pa. a semi tanker full of cooking oil lost it on one of the hills .It was worse than ice ,what a mess .Got diverted off the highway and spent the night in LaTrobe Pa .How they got rid of it was tanker trucks full of Dawn  detergent from a P and G plant in Lima Ohio .If it will remove oil from a duckling it will degrease a road. Coming back from DC a few days later the soap suds were still every where on the side of the hill .

SwampDonkey

You guys and your Tim Hortan's and Starbucks, you're too high class for me. :D :D

It's funny to watch them adjust coffee price up and down on the store brand stuff. Two lb can for $16 for awhile, drop it to $10, then up to $14, then down to $12 all in a span of 6 months. :-X

Dave Shepard

My requirements for coffee is that it must smell like coffee, and taste like sugar. I've pretty much given up on it, anyway.

There is a deli near here that only has medium and large soup sizes. I used to ask for the small just to tick them off. They didn't like me explaining that medi means middle, and if you only have two sizes, you can't have a middle. I don't think they like my anymore. Two birds, one stone.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!