iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dolmar 133 running lean/air leak?

Started by Hiway40frank, April 01, 2016, 09:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hiway40frank

Hi all, im frank and i have been lurking here for awhile and finaly ran into some saw trouble and need some advice. Let me start by apalogizing for spelling im on my phone. So heres the deal, i picked up a mint sachs-dolmar 133 in a trade. I mean MINT no scratchs no nothing looks just like it did when  my buddy bought it new in 1991 well his dad did and it was to much saw so its been sitting since and maybe used a total of 10 hours. So i ran her for about 25mins yearerday on my mill to make some 6x6 posts. Well first the saw lost its idle then it lost its top en then shorty she started smoking and overheating. So i figured she was leaning out so i [I have typed a profane word that is automatically changed by the forum censored words program I should know better] her down. Put a new gas filter spark plug gas line and filter on. Cleaned the carb right out and the piston looks good. Well now she will only start on half thrpttle and wont idle but she has her top end back. Really stumped on this old saw and cant figure out what to do next. Ideas advice and anything usefull would help also should i just sell it? Is it going to constantly be repaired i am not to familary with dolmar. And if i do sell it whats this thing worth? I got it in a trade worth about 200$ and he also included a running stihl 051 in really rough shape. Thank you very much and am glad to finaly be on the fourm ! Again on mobile so i sound like  a12 year old...

mad murdock

Welcome to thr Forestry Forum first off!  If the saw has done a lot of sitting, the crank seals may well be bad, causing a lean mixture making it not want to idle. You should be able to get seals for very reasonable cost. For your time and probably less than 50 bucks in parts you should be able to have it running like new.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

mad murdock

Use the forum search tool to look up threads on leaking crankshaft seals, and how to test.  One method is to get saw running with the bar off and squirt wd40 on the crank (might have to remove the clutch for good access, and see if idle improves. Theory is that a leaky seal will draw air from the outside into the case as case pressure is lower, leaning mix. A little wd sucked in will improve running as it is adding combustible oil to the mix. Those old Dolmars are very good saws. I hope you get it sorted out.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Hiway40frank

Thank you, any other ways at checking the seal? Would a compression test do it?

Hiway40frank

Thanks for the reply, any clue why it was able to run fine for 20 os so mins then slowly die? Also does it have to be a dolmar seal/gasket or can i make one/use another brand?

Thank You Sponsors!