iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

National bird for Canada..........nope, not the loon.

Started by SwampDonkey, November 19, 2016, 04:27:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Recently announced is the national bird of Canada. Apparently there was a survey, the poplar vote was for the loon. But no, it wasn't to be (I'm tired of the loon frankly, it's make a joke of the dollar). No, it is the grey jay (grey is the Canadian spelling of the word). Anyone who has ever spent time at a remote cabin, worked or hunted in the spruce woods away from settlement has seen the grey jay and has probably fed them some bread, sometimes by hand. Thinning in the woods in the fall, we see them placing mushrooms in the fir bows for winter food we presume.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKijUvekvIE
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

Hey, at least your National bird can fly  :D

NZ air force has to put up with having a flightless national bird painted on all their planes   :-\ :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Grizzly

Otherwise known as the "whiskey jack", "camp thief", and many other names...........  I only learned of it's proper name when I was in my mid twenties. It's as fitting a bird as any for us.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

sawguy21

Quote from: Ianab on November 19, 2016, 05:18:40 AM
Hey, at least your National bird can fly  :D

NZ air force has to put up with having a flightless national bird painted on all their planes   :-\ :D
Now that is funny but a little worrisome just the same. If the plane refuses to fly do they just shrug their shoulders? ;D The whiskeyjack is an entertaining little fellow but most urban dwellers wouldn't recognize one if they tripped over it. The loon is much more recognizable and at least to me represents the country.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bandmill Bandit

The Whiskey Jack (common name) Is not yet the "official" national bird BUT the Candian Geographic Society has launched a campaign to have our government designate the Bird as such in the coming year.  http://nationalbird.canadiangeographic.ca/

There is good support for it generally.

As far as the Term Loonie mocking the Canadian buck ($)???
The loon is a very elegant and remarkable bird. A far more appropriate symbol for the Canadian Buck than the face of some forgotten (or should be) politician.   
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

WV Sawmiller

We saw lots of them in Glacier and Yellowstone Nat'l parks last year at my daughter's wedding. They were pretty aggressive about stealing food off the table but we had fun watching them.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ricker

I have spent some time with the grey Jay's up at a friends camp in northern Maine.  I was amazed how friendly they were when I first saw them. My buddy's father called them gorbeys. He said to treat them well as each one had the soul of a woodsman who was no longer with us.  I think they ate more of my lunch up in the tree stand than I did. I think they will make fine ambassadors of your country.

Chuck White

When I was stationed in Alaska, lots of people referred to them as "Camp Robbers"
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Rural

Quote from: Ricker on November 19, 2016, 06:08:38 PM
I have spent some time with the grey Jay's up at a friends camp in northern Maine.  I was amazed how friendly they were when I first saw them. My buddy's father called them gorbeys. He said to treat them well as each one had the soul of a woodsman who was no longer with us.  I think they ate more of my lunch up in the tree stand than I did. I think they will make fine ambassadors of your country.
Us Canadians are a little shocked that the Canada Goose did not win given that elections are generally 'bought' and that it makes more 'deposits' than most, however given the above note I suppose its not a bad choice. We are friendly up here and although most Toronto city folk would not know a woodsman (or a Grey Jay) if they saw one I would not mind coming back as a fun loving lunch thief. Sorry to be political but I am not sure if your national bird should be an Eagle, a Hawk or a Turkey vulture!  ;D

Ken

I have had the opportunity to feed a grey jay from my hand.  They are a common bird around logging operations.   They may not have won the popular vote but got enough electoral college votes to win the nomination I guess
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Thank You Sponsors!