iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

White oaks dying

Started by btmsx, November 06, 2009, 04:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btmsx

I live in western S.C., across the Savannah river, near Augusta GA. I have numerous white oaks on my property, dying from the top down. Has anyone seen this before or know what is causing it? I dont see any indication of infestation or ants around the bases.

SwampDonkey

Was there fill or top soil added to the site from landscaping yard work or are these forest grown?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mrnero

Quote from: btmsx on November 06, 2009, 04:09:42 PM
I live in western S.C., across the Savannah river, near Augusta GA. I have numerous white oaks on my property, dying from the top down. Has anyone seen this before or know what is causing it? I dont see any indication of infestation or ants around the bases.
We have the same thing happening to hardwoods in this area. I was told by a few people, it was from acid rain. I don't know if that's true or not !! but its logical.

metalspinner

I have noticed that most of our white oaks seem to be dying in town, too. :'(   The edges of the leaves turn brown and the trees just look sick.  These are mature trees as I see from 12" to 36"+ diameter trees effected.  Some say the drought we have been in the last couple of years is doing it.  But many of the trees are showing these symptoms this year where we are ahead of our average rain totals. :-\
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

reberly

My red oaks have done the same and I am wondering about oak wilt since it went from tree to tree the past 5 years down the shoreline.
Rich
http://Eberlywoods.com

Big lumber is our legacy

LeeB

Oak wilt is slow to spread, but once it infects a tree it will kill it in a matter of weeks. Look at the leaves and see if the leaves show a pronounced veining with the rest of the leave turning yellow. Oak wilt does not particularly affect white oaks. Mainly the reds and Live oak.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

woodtroll

It seems to me that trees take awhile to recover from drought, a few good years. The trees may be stressed from the previous years, and be susceptible to other pathogenesis and stress in their weakened state.
Just a thought.

btmsx

I dont see any signs of desiese. They just start losing there leaves from the very top and each year, come spring, there is less on the tops. I can tell the limbs with no leaves are dead. The one I just cut down, about 12" in Dia, took 3 years to completely die. Graduslly, from the top down. The soil hasent been disturbed in many a moon.

Ron Scott

May be the Two-Lined Chestnut bore. Have your local CD forester or Extension Service varify it.

http://www.rainbowtreecare.com/pdf/Two-LinedChestnutBorer.pdf
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!