iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS230

Started by escogb, February 06, 2014, 10:20:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

escogb

Hi all.
I am running a Stihl MS230 saw with a 14" guide bar, and thinking of changing to a 16" guide bar, is there any rule of thumb whether I should use a 6 or 7 tooth spocket with the 16", and also WHY are there the 2 options on the different sprockets.
Regards
Esco

webgal

Unless you modded it, I'm pretty sure that your saw came stock with .325 pitch chain and a 7 tooth sprocket. Just changing up bar length doesn't mean you have to change your sprocket if you stick with the same chain pitch. Next you will read from fellas that are totally into transforming their chainsaws for particular conditions etc. The Stihl MS230 hums very nicely on the .325 pitch. IMHO just pick up a bar and chain combo, slap it on their and head out. That will keep you unnecessarily out of the workshop and outside.
Gotta know when to fell em, know when to tell em, know when to walk away, know when to run....

escogb

Cheers webgal thanks for a prompt reply and a good one!!
Esco

7sleeper

If your sproket and bar are very worn you might think about changing out to 3/8 picco=hobby=low pro and getting some Stihl PS/PS3 chain = first full chisel chain for the small size on the market! But in my eyes only worth it if you want to change the whole system.

escogb

Ok 7sleeper that is another option thanks bud!!

Thank You Sponsors!