iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rockler 3 in 1 Cabinet Scraper Sharpening Tool

Started by NE Woodburner, February 13, 2024, 08:11:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE Woodburner

Does anyone have experience using Rockler's 3 in 1 cabinet scraper sharpening tool?

I like to use a card scraper to flatten glued up panels and clean up glue joints. I find you can't really sand out ridges and imperfections without ending up with a wavy surface (at least I can't). I'm OK at using a card scraper, but getting the burr right to get nice clean shavings instead of sawdust takes some practice and frankly I'm not that good at it and probably don't do it often enough to get better.

I started a maple dining table and want to get the top surface of the table as flat as possible. I have a few blanks glued up and about ready to start scraping. Any feedback would be appreciated.

21incher

I am also interested in an easier way to get a perfect burr every time.  I use a flat file and burnisher but sometimes it takes multiple trys to get an even burr. For first  pass removing hardened glue I use the replaceable blade scrapers that seem to stand up better to it and make the big scrapers stay sharp longer. Maybe tule peak. Has some WOC secrets he can share.
20240213_100521.jpg
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

doc henderson

on panels I try to get all the glue off I can.  I let it skim over then with an old chisel, try to hold my mouth just right, and take the bead off clean without penetrating into the grain.  I might us my drum sander later and it is more rigid and flat.  a ROS has a soft pad and the glue can push into the pad and let the outer part sand the surrounding area creating the wave.  even a belt sander would be better with a hard meatal plate under the business portion of the sander.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

NE Woodburner

Since no one has reported on the sharpening tool I figured I'd take a chance and test it out for $25 and ordered one. I will probably wait until it comes in to start scraping my glued up panels since I have other work I can do on the project in the meantime and I really want to get these panels nice and flat. I have the two halves of the table top and two leaves to scrape, so I'm sure I'll have to rework the burr on my scraper a few times and should be able to get some real world results.

I also ordered the cabinet scraper holder they sell for about $20. It's supposed to make it easier to flex the card scraper with less stress on your hands. I have some arthritis starting in my hands that bothers me from time to time so this may help. There is an adjustment knob to control the flex so you don't have to do it all with your thumbs/fingers.

I'll report back on both once I've had a chance to use them.

doc henderson

I just met my new regional vice president, and her last name is Rockler, and yes, her cousin is the CEO.  no, she did not give me a discount code.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

21incher

Quote from: doc henderson on February 14, 2024, 08:41:15 AMI just met my new regional vice president, and her last name is Rockler, and yes, her cousin is the CEO.  no, she did not give me a discount code. 
Better yet, tell her to get her cousin to be a sponsor. I tried years ago and nobody listened, maybe you can make it happen.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

firefighter ontheside

I have no experience with that set.  I used to use a card scraper for the same thing you describe but then I found the Stanley #80 scraper plane by accident.  It came with a group of planes I bought on marketplace.  It took me a while to figure out what it was and how to use it.  It basically is a handheld scraper that is mounted in a device that bends the steel and gives you handles.  It holds it the appropriate angle.  It keeps your thumbs from getting hot from friction.  The other thing I like about it is that the iron is beveled, which makes it easier to get a hook when sharpening.  I highly recommend it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

scsmith42

I have both a card scraper and a Veritas scraper plane.  LOVE the scraper plane!  Not cheap, but sure saves your fingers if you do a lot of scraping.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

21incher

Is this the one you have?  https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/hand-tools/planes/scrapers/48431-veritas-scraping-plane
I may try one of them as my wrists hurt when using flat scrapers. They look awesome. I didn't know something like that existed.

21incher

I ordered the Veritas scraper set with the sharpener and holder so we can compare notes after using them. It comes with 4 different thickness  scrapers and I want to see if thickness matters.  My current scrapers are really thick and stiff.

scsmith42

Quote from: 21incher on February 15, 2024, 10:31:56 AMIs this the one you have?  https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/hand-tools/planes/scrapers/48431-veritas-scraping-plane
I may try one of them as my wrists hurt when using flat scrapers. They look awesome. I didn't know something like that existed.
Yes, that's the one I have.  You're going to love it!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

NE Woodburner

I do have a #80 Stanley like FFOTS mentioned, but I use the scraper by hand most of time.

My issue is getting a good, consistent burr. I will report how the Rockler sharpening tool works once it comes in and I look forward to hearing feedback on the Veritas plane and sharpener.

21incher

The Veritas set that was in stock arrived and didn't realize it came with 6 high quality scrapers. The file holder has 90 and 45 degrees for the card scrapers or plane scrapers.  Hopefully  next week I will get to play with it. File and burnisher are replaceable
20240221_115331.jpg20240221_115649.jpg

21incher

Got it all organized in kaizen foam to start with. First try went well. May not need the plane with that handle that is very easy to grip and use. High quality stuff. Everything new in will be organized from now on. 
20240222_090208.jpg

NE Woodburner

So 21, the file and burnisher gave you a good burr for your first try? I was wondering since I was shown to file, diamond hone, then burnish. Yours's sounds a lot simpler if it is effective.

I have not received my Rockler 3-in-1 yet but should have it to try by the weekend and I have a couple of glued up table blanks that need attention so I should be able to give it a good test run.

And, unfortunately, mine won't live in a nice case like yours!

Larry

I use a Stanley #82 scrapper equipped with readily available Red Devil 2-1/2" scrapper blades. It is only good for rough work fast work. After the Stanley gets done I come back with a card scrapper but it only takes a couple of strokes to get to a finished surface.

That Veritas scrapper plane sure is attractive!!!
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

21incher

I used one  of the new scrapers that were flat and square. A couple strokes across  the file and then some passes at 5 degrees  followed up by a couple at 10 degrees. I did not try the 15 degree burr yet or rotating it to the angles for the second side. Supposedly with the square straight  file marks honing isn't  needed . For a previously sharpened scraper I watched a video that showed hitting the faces with the face against the 90 guide one or 2 easy passes to remove the old deformation.  
Tried that handle with just a little curve on scrap ash and had a fine even cut with very little pressure.  Realized the handle is plastic but seems pretty strong. It definitely is my favorite part of the set.
I took the scraper plane out of my cart after watching some  videos about it and seeing it only comes with the thin blade for that price. I think the handle  will do what I need at this point.  Plus I can put that money towards the dowel maker complete set when it's  back in stock.

NE Woodburner

My Rockler sharpening kit came in and I had a few minutes to try it last night. I put a new burr on a card scraper and it did not seem like an aggressive enough burr to me, but I tried in on a scrap piece of maple and got nice shavings from it versus sawdust that I thought I might get. I also bought the Rockler plastic holder similar to the one 21 got from Lee Valley and it seems like a big improvement over doing it by hand. The one 21 bought looks a little nicer, but I think this will work for me.

I'm planning to put a lot of scraping time in this weekend so I should have a good sense of how this tool will work for me. I kind of wish I had known about the Lee Valley sharpening tool that 21 bought as it seems like it may be simpler to use.

Klunker

I make all my panels/tops by gluing up with dominos, they keep the different boards very level so that there is a minimum of sanding required.
When gluing I alternate my long clamps from side to side. After glue up I check for flatness, if there is any issue I can remove it easily by increasing or decreasing clamp pressures.
I sand with a 5" sander making sure to travel in alternating paths with and against the grain. I don't let the sander work one area that may have an issue.
I have measured the boards before and after gluing and I take off just a few thousands.
It goes fast and I have no issues with flatness.
Flat enough so that you can't see light thru with a straightedge.
Not toolmaker flat but woodworker flat.

21incher

I bought the 1/2 sheet Makita sander for flat tops but you just don't wind up with the same finish when it comes  to sanding or scraping. 

I'm not sure  how that little burnishing rod will last in the Veritas sharpener. Same angle hits the same spot on the round every time. Looks to be rotatable but not sure yet. I am trying decide the best way to scrape using the holder. I usually push because of bowing the scraper with my fingers.  I am actually liking being able to pull it towards me with the handle. Could be a left handed thing  ffcheesy.

NE Woodburner

@21incher - I was looking at the instructions of your Veritas burnisher to see if it would be easier to use than my Rockler 3-in-1 and noticed it says in the instructions that you can loosen a set screw and rotate the burnishing rod if you get wear in one spot.

I'm going to use my Rockler for a while and see if I get used to it. I made a few real nice burrs but then a couple of times trying to resharpen it didn't come out as good. I've been scraping some maple table blanks over the past couple of days trying to get used to it. I really like the holder. It's a lot easier on your thumbs and fingers.

21incher

Quote from: NE Woodburner on February 27, 2024, 02:31:27 PM@21incher - I was looking at the instructions of your Veritas burnisher to see if it would be easier to use than my Rockler 3-in-1 and noticed it says in the instructions that you can loosen a set screw and rotate the burnishing rod if you get wear in one spot.

I'm going to use my Rockler for a while and see if I get used to it. I made a few real nice burrs but then a couple of times trying to resharpen it didn't come out as good. I've been scraping some maple table blanks over the past couple of days trying to get used to it. I really like the holder. It's a lot easier on your thumbs and fingers.
Yes, I found its very easy to turn and just looks like a hardened dowel pin. I haven't spent much time using it yet. I have 5 projects before that. 
The handles are the best part. It doesn't hurt my hands to use them. Also the thinner scrapers are easy to bow by hand for a tight spot. 

21incher

20240311_130043.jpgI can't get those big flowing shavings others seem to get with this burnisher.  Getting some nice fine shavings but still need to work on the angle.  10 degrees gives a finer dust but stays sharper longer. 15 degrees gives a more aggressive cut but dulls quickly.  Hopefully Iwill get it figured out eventually. Some maple and ash comparison. So far it is very easy to use and I love the handle

NE Woodburner

I'm getting shavings similar to what you show on your maple board, maybe a little longer when I have a fresh edge, which I was pretty happy with. I've only used mine on the maple table I am making so far. After a few times I felt like I was starting to get the hang of sharpening with the Rockler rig and it didn't take long, so I put a new burr on pretty regularly. I cannot set a precise angle on mine, so maybe your Veritas may be better in that way.
I am now past the scraping stage on this project. My table top is coming out pretty good, but I wish it was flatter - I can feel some gentle waves when I run my hand over it and I'm sure that will show when I get finish on it. A wide drum sander would be nice but not in the budget for now.

21incher

For leveling flat tops I have cut a 8 1/2 x 11 piece of flat Baltic Birch plywood and double sided taped a whole sheet of 60 grit to it in the past. Then sand for hours  :uhoh: by hand to level it. Then a quick scraping to shine it. Like a giant sanding block that removes high spots. 
I think for bigger burrs you need thicker scrapers. I wish the scraper mounted in the handle would  slide in the burnisher for quick touch up.  I have been doing both edges and flipping it in the handle when it stops cutting right. Cherry seems to leave bigger shavings. 

Larry

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!