iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help figuring weight of White Oak table top

Started by DR_Buck, January 18, 2011, 07:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

I have a customer that wants me to dry some white oak boards for him.  He's planning on making a large table.   The top will be 54" wide by 15 ft long at 3 1/2" thick.     What will the approximate weight of the top be if I dry the lumber to 7-8% MC?
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Magicman

If I figured right, about 1800 lbs. green.  I'll have to let you dry it.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

pigman

About 1014 lbs
Don't bet the farm on that number, I am going by memory. ::)
Edit: I looked it up. Closer to 906 lbs using  46 lbs/cu ft
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

red oaks lumber

What will the approximate weight of the top be if I dry the lumber to 7-8% MC?
the thickness of w.oak to get that dry the weight will be 8 months in a kiln

[/quote]
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Dan_Shade

you can dry white oak that thick without busting it?

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WDH

I am with the Pigman.  It will weigh about 1000 pounds, maybe a little more.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

metalspinner

That's the size of this table. :)

The FF lumber calculator estimated each of these two pieces at 800 lbs. green.  Not sure how much weight loss WO has down to 8%, but he still better have plenty of help carrying that top around. :o
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

SPIKER

Wonder why he needs it so thick?   Must be planing on setting it up and building the house on top of it  :D ::) ???

I put in replacement sills in my old home on one end that the basement was built smaller than the house (it was done sometime in the 70's or 80's 1887 home jacked up and basement built under it.   The set the house down and the front wall hung out 4" on each side of the basement block wall.   by late 80s the front house wall was sagging and mid 90s we had to fix it.   Had some white oak cut to 3.5" by 24" and that was amount to jack up front of the home & replace 2 floor joists and new stud walls up the front 2 stories.   The OAK was still as flat as could be the last time I got a good look 2004 or so.  The planks were ~8 or 9 feet long and took me & my brother one on each end to move em and get them in-place.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

DR_Buck

Not sure why he needs/wants it so thick.     The trees were dead and down with logs stacked for about 2 years.  The lumber was milled and stickered 3 months ago.  I do not know what the going in MC will be.   I haven't got the lumber yet and the customer does not have a moisture meter.

Dan -  Answer to your question.....Don't know.    Guess I'll find out .  I just dried 12/4  and 16/4 Pecan to 8% and only had one piece split, and it was on the heart.   Took about 4 1/2 weeks from ~40%
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Ron Wenrich

Does it help if you put some sort of plating or connector on the ends of the boards?   I know that the RR put those plates that they use to make rafters on the end of ties to keep them from splitting.  We also put S hooks on the end of oak veneer logs to prevent splitting.  Just wondered if something like that would work on those thicker pieces.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on January 18, 2011, 08:01:22 PM
I get 790 pounds at 8% mc

Same here around 823 lbs for 8%.

Add 8 % of 62.4 lbs/ft3 water to 36.8 lbs/ft3 OD wood and mult by volume in the table top.

Sp Gr green x density of water = OD weight

0.59 x 62.4 = 36.8 lbs/ft3
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

clww

HEAVY! That's about the size of the oak I'm working on now. I have to use a jack and winch to get them onto the trailer. 42" X 4" X 12'.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

doctorb

Dry the wood.  Build the table top.  Pick up the table top and weigh yourself (weight A).  Put the table down and weigh yourself again (weight B).  Subtract Weight B from Weight A.  Voila!  - the weight of the table top. :D ;D ;)

You're welcome!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

submarinesailor

Quote from: doctorb on January 21, 2011, 05:37:19 PM
Dry the wood.  Build the table top.  Pick up the table top and weigh yourself (weight A).  Put the table down and weigh yourself again (weight B).  Subtract Weight B from Weight A.  Voila!  - the weight of the table top. :D ;D ;)

You're welcome!

Doctor - are you related to Twisted Sister? ??? ::) :D :D :D :D  Or just trying to drum up some business? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Bruce

WDH

You will have to tare yourself out  :D. 

After you tare yourself and and pick up the table to weigh it, you will have to see what tears so you can make an appointment with Doc  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!