iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Snow started yesterday evening and still snowing, stopped a few times, but not for long!

The weather guessers are saying it should end around 7:00 tonight!

So far, we've gotten a little over 7 inches!

Heavy, Wet snow.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Pulphook

Winter in November means nothing according to the Old Farmer's Almanac. They say Winter has to do with squirrel fur , caterpiller(sp.) rings, moss on trees, acorn mast production, and who knows what. Maybe the color of the President's tie today.
For the northern northeast at least it is one of the biggest snowfalls so early in this one's life.
Then rain on top --slush--with temps up to the 40's.
For us retirees with nothing to do ( sic :-[ ), best to light small fires, pour some single malt ( 2 fingers of Laphroaig preferred ), and cozy with a good book, and of course, the partner of choice. :snowball:
Two wood stoves ( Jotul Rangely ,Jotul Oslo ) heating 99 44/100%
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

SwampDonkey

The snow has been so wet the last couple of days that it never added up to an inch. Fine by me, don't have to shovel or plow. ;D :)

Nine years ago this time we had snow by the foot. And the year before nothing but 3 or 4 inches all winter.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Rained and so called snow off and on all day. Just about enough to keep things wet. If I would of been outside,I would of worked through the so called wet weather.I think the high that I saw was 38°,no sun. Only saw the saw for a few minutes,on the way up. And I do mean a few.
We went kinda North,maybe North East? Rumford,Mexico way,if someone knows the area. We could see the temperature difference in the hills. No snow on the trees,than snow on the trees. Even driving up a steep hill,we noticed it too.
More clouds tommorrow and more temps in the mid 30's
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Hilltop366

It didn't turn out too bad today, 6°c, some places got some rain but it was sunny at my house.

lxskllr

Windy and cool, about 38°. Didn't do much at work which was nice, but the boss wanted to borrow the truck, so I drove his Malibu home. I'd get banned here if I accurately said what I thought of that car  :^S  Got a bunch of wood stacked. I should be set for cutting more rounds off the tree.

Old Greenhorn

I am a weekend warrior type until I retire and can get some real work done. Normally during the week I try to get a little bit done each evening to prep for a productive weekend and not waste time. Since the time change, it is full dark when I get home. Yet I still try to get some little thing done each night, but lately with the high humidity and cold temps I am just having a very hard time getting motivated after dinner. I'd like to think it is due to the very early and lousy cold weather. I am wondering what our friends north of the border up in Canada think about this years fall weather? Is it colder sooner than normal? I know the folks in Maine are not liking this and it's abnormal (which is a strong sign for me), but our weather here in my part of New York comes from the area northwest of lake Ontario. What's it like up there compared to previous years? Am I just getting old faster than I thought? I can grid my loins and tough it out when there is daylight, but doing this in the dark takes a bit more effort (the safety and visibility issues, trip hazards, and general discomfort) . I am starting to feel like a wimp and am pretty disgusted with myself. It's a simple project, I need about 40 hours to finish it, and it is taking forever. Is it me?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SwampDonkey

It's not unusual for up here, I have seen winter start in November before many times in 51 years. The 70's was brutal, back then they talked of mini ice age. They change their message every so often to look popular and smart. :D Some of you old fellas in New York forget awfully easy. Buffalo in one of them winters was in a state of emergency, cold and wind and snow no stop for a long stretch one winter. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Temps will be well above freezing for a while. Yep,clouds all day. High 30's.
I slide off the driveway last night. ::)  Good thing I brought in a bunch of fill about 5 years ago. The driveway use to drop off about 2 feet,maybe 3. Not it's a gradual slope,so we can mow it. Had to use the winch on the tractor.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

curdog

Been 40's and low 50's last few days, but going to get back to the low 70s again by Sunday... and more rain this weekend. I'm not going to say that it was starting to dry out, but it hasn't rained in a few days. 

SwampDonkey

Nothing here yesterday from storm, it was all off to the SE and lots of power outages in it's wake. Was stormy Tuesday and Wednesday but never got hardly an inch, never plowed the driveway. I'd have to run the whole length to get a blower full. Blowers don't work well unless they are full. :D

Stay safe on that driveway. I ain't coming down there when your 90 to push no mower or tractor out of ditches. I have experience with that from feeble 90 year old neighbors. I won't go into it. But some of these folks are driving on our roads. ;)

thecfarm

Just mine own dumb fault on the car and ditch. Should of cleaned out the driveway first. Than go shopping with the wife. ::) Was that wet snow that got me,and a Subrara. Car does good,but does not have the weight to make it a good snow fighter. Been going up and down that driveway for 18 years. First time I needed the tractor to help me get the car out. Now the small tractor I pulled out many times with the big tractor. I have my driveway up in the air real good. I get off the edge,as I did with the car,and it slopes off and I am stuck. I have that rear mounted snow blower and I get greedy and get off the edge and the slope will eat me up.
Gave me something to do for about a ½ hour. ;D
24° and high 30's by high noon.

Old Greenhorn

31 here at 6am. 90% overcast just before dawn. I took the day off to get some work done. Got some logs cued up to the mill in the dark last light. Have to put a tire on the splitter then mill about 50-60 3/4 x 10 boards for siding. Hopefully it will get near 40 today and have no precip, but there is a  chance. If you can't get good weather, work with the weather you have, right?
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Old Greenhorn

Well, the sun finally came up and it changed to 100% overcast all day. Then it started snowing around 10:30 and did so for a few hours, just flurries, but enough to wet down my clothes and make it miserable. My I goofed and popped the blade off the saw I decided to quit. I have to start figuring in about 70% efficiency on the lousy weather days. This project seems to never end in spite of making progress with each session.

lxskllr

Cool and rain this afternoon. Took off work early, and had the intention of managing my wood. Got a couple pieces split, and it started raining. Good thing. We needed it. My side yard was almost at the point of supporting my weight, and not having water come up when I walk. Gotta get that replenished. I'll probably have skunk cabbage come up this spring  :^S

goose63

FOG FOG and more thick FOG
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

SwampDonkey

Partly sunny all day Friday. More sun though in Eastern Maine as we went to Smyrna for dinner. ;D

Al_Smith

Typical Ohio ,in the 20's at night mid 30's in day time .Warming trend coming up into the 50's,rain  then back to the 20's by weeks end .It's not the easiest weather to regulate wood heat .Gets a little toasty at times .

thecfarm

Yesterday I saw the sun just about all morning. A nice warm day.
Today was all clouds and kinda on the cool side.

thecfarm

One inch of snow and rain,freezing rain at 33°. Might have some hard rain later when the temps goes into the high 30's. I have about 4 inches of snow on the ground.
Not using much wood at these temps. Much better temps than it was 10 days ago.

edit,raining hard at almost noon.

SwampDonkey

Snowing here since mid morning.

Bandmill Bandit

Our on again off again winter is on for good I think. It  - 7* C and we got about 6 inches of snow over night and its supposed to snow into tomorrow morning. Weather is saying about another 4 to 6 inches. Pretty much saying about a 1 cm per hour for the next 12 hours.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

thecfarm

Still raining,34°. Temp did not go up much.Still have that inch of snow.

lxskllr

Warm and fog. It's warmer outside(60°)than it is in my house(57°). I'd open the door, but don't want wet air in the house.

Chuck White

Up to 42° right now and windy!

We'll likely lose most of our snow before it cools off again!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!