iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pto winch must haves, complaints and sugestions?

Started by weisyboy, March 12, 2011, 09:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weisyboy

im building a pto powered winch and am about ready to start on the frame, what do you consider a must on a winch setup, what is wrong/annoying on yours, what keeps braking?

i thaught someware for a cahinsaw that is safe and out of the way, maby like a slot to slip the bar into?

someware for axe and wedges toolbox or brackets?

someware for chains/chokers to be kept either hooks or boxes?

place for a towbar tongue to go so we can hook up a bobtail?

god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

bill m

Chainsaw holder made out of Lexan

Axe holder

Grab rod holder

Choker storage on each side

NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

pineywoods

The only thing that broke on mine was the cable and the roller chain that drives it.. A receiver for a ball hitch comes in handy...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

weisyboy

bill - how far between your winch drum and the top roller?
do you have trouble with the cable bunching in the center?

what is lexan?
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

thecfarm

The winch I bought was one of the few things I have bought I did not have to modify for what I do.
This is a picture of the boxes my chains go in.They hook on the top and the excess goes in the boxes.

This is a picture of the hinged butt plate.I just winch it out of the way when I want to use the trailer.I can put the pins back into and that will keep it from pivoting if I want to drag with it.When I winch in the plate will come up against a stop that keep it from pivoting toward the tractor.

I also have to "doors' that flip up on each side of the mast so I can see the cable on the drum.Just smalls ones,8 inches square.So when the cable buries into the drum I can see it all screwed up in there.Have to hook onto a tree than to pull it out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bill m

weisyboy, it is about 36 inches from the top roller and the winch drum and it spools very even

Lexan is a brand of polycarbonate plastic made by GE.

Mark K

Bill- nice looking winch, you build it? I had a Farmi JL601 that I ran on a 822 Belarus, wish I never sold it. Mine had a cab and I bought the screen kit for the winch to protect the back window. Had more fun logging with that than the skidder and I miss the heated cab. Hows them New Hollands held up for you? I use to work for New Holland and went back to the farm just as the TC series came out.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

bill m

Yes, I have built 2 winches. These pictures are of the second one. The NH has held up very well. My first one ( a tc45 ) had a problem with the 3 pt hitch and did not want to stay up. Many trips back to the dealer never fixed it. My tc55da has only had one problem in 4 years. The nut holding the piston on the steering cylinder rod came off. $30 for labor and $6 for new o-rings and wiper at the local hydraulic shop fixed it.

Mark K

Well if there half as good as the 20 series, they'll be one heck of a tractor. Only main problem I remember with the 20 series were guys putting backhoes on with no sub frame and snapping them in half right behind the bell housing. I drove through my dealer early this morning while delivering a load of firewood. They have changed a lot since I worked there. Seems most of the compacts are hydrostatics now. They sold a many Farmi and Fransgaurd winches for them. I know of a couple guys running compacts with winches full time.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Thank You Sponsors!