iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

.058 or.050

Started by treefarmer rick, March 06, 2014, 06:50:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

treefarmer rick

hello I need to purchase a new bar and chain was wondering what is the difference between .050 and the .058. I have a husky 372xp w/ a 24inch bar and chain.

billporterfield

.050 is the most common size chain
Have a great day

Southside

Its the gauge or width of the drive teeth on the chain. You need to run the same size as the drive sprocket,  which will be whatever you had on before. FWIW I run .050 on my saws.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

HiTech

it will or should tell you on the bar.

Corley5

It's a regional thing too.  .058 is what most everyone uses up here and it's what the saw shops stock.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

barbender

I thought that the drive sprocket was only specific to pitch, not guage. At any rate, I bought a 24" Windsor bar years back, in .058. I wish I had gotten it in .050, even though .058 is more common up here, I order my chain from Bailey's and they have several typesI would like to try that are only available in .050 (such as a skiptooth semi-chisel woodland pro chain).
Too many irons in the fire

BargeMonkey

Sprockets are pitch, not gauge dependent. Its 90% .058 up here. Personally it doesnt matter when doing a complete bar and chain, but it helps to run the same size chain on everything.

coxy

Maine logger88

I run .058 on all my saws
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

celliott

All my saws run .050 or .058  ::)  At least they're all 3\8 chain  :D
Functionally, they're indifferent. It's nice to have everything the same though. I typically buy used\parts saws because I like to tinker on them, and am at the mercy of what comes on the saw. And if it's a nice bar, yeah, I'm gonna keep it and use it!
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

chevytaHOE5674

Be hard pressed to find anything but .050 chain UP here.

John Mc

Rick -  As you're probably noticing by now, the preference for .050 or .058" seems to be a regional thing.  Most of what I run into in my area (VT & New England) is .058  (Though those running Stihl use .063)

I run .058 just because that's what the chainsaw shops stock around here. It makes it easier if I need to pick up a spare on short notice. Some of the big box stores sell both, but I'm generally not using the types of chains they sell.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

lumberjack48

I used nothing but 50 gauge, when i ran a grew in the 70's, i had as many as 9 saw's. I wanted bars and chains interchangeable, saves a lot of headache.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

lynde37avery

3/8 .058 on all my logging saws. i dont know why they make two sizes. i all ways wondered about that. then i got my small one which is "im 99% sure" a .050 .325 or w/e chain.
Detroit WHAT?

jwilly3879

We sell (2) .058 to every .050 at my wife's store. My son runs .058 on his saws, 372 and 385 and I have .058 on my 372 and .050 on the 272 and 670, all are 72DL just need to check if you grab a chain out of the tool box. When I need a new bar I will switch to .058, I have always run .050 because at one time I had both Stihl and Husky and there weren't any .058 bars to fit the Stihl.

Thank You Sponsors!