iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Single arch or dual arch ???

Started by BargeMonkey, November 24, 2013, 03:11:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

Ive been narrowing down the list on a grapple, and wondering what you guys had to say. Im not a huge production logger, have no plans of a chipper, this machine will see 500 hours max a year.  We still pull alot of cable, and I know it sounds funny but I would still like to run it like a 1/2 cable skidder if I had too. Most of the stuff around here is single arch and old or newer and dual arch, everyones opinion varies. What about a 460C V.S a 648G.3 ?  Any good versus bad ?

Firewoodjoe

I like both single and dual. Both have there pros and cons. If u want to use the winch a lot then u need a dual. The grapple is always in the way on the single. The single we run is a 360tj

nhlogga

I have run both extensively and in my opinion the dual arch is the way to go. You can do much more with the dual arch.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

nhlogga

They 460c and 648giii are both good machines. The 648 will be better on fuel if it has the direct drive transmission.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

loggah

Dual arch with a winch only way to go. you can lower your wood down and push yourself out of bad spots with a dual arch,and i welded a tree pusher on the top of my grapple and with the dual arch you could actually push on the tree about 14 feet up using the hydraulic power, pushed over some huge trees leaning the wrong way. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Kemper

Quote from: loggah on November 24, 2013, 07:15:24 PM
Dual arch with a winch only way to go. you can lower your wood down and push yourself out of bad spots with a dual arch,and i welded a tree pusher on the top of my grapple and with the dual arch you could actually push on the tree about 14 feet up using the hydraulic power, pushed over some huge trees leaning the wrong way. Don

We do the same with our single arch, but not 14 feet high. We also use the top of the cutter, you can really get up there then.

thompsontimber

Have yet to meet anyone who has made the switch from single arch to dual arch who has regretted it.  A single arch is great so long as you've had no experience with a dual arch.  Once you get accustomed to a dual arch, you will always want a dual arch. 
Like logga said, you can really push yourself out of some holes with the dual arch.  Definitely an asset and full of tricks.  As for choosing between the 460 or 648, I agree that they are both great machines.  I second the opinion of fuel efficiency with the 648 and would add that the JDs are quick on the ground as well. Depending upon where and how you are working, that may not be a big issue, but the 648 is a fast machine.

Thank You Sponsors!