iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

containers as kilns

Started by richie47, May 15, 2006, 10:44:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

I also used RR ties, leveling them in advance.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Tom

I have a neighbor who has an old railroad box car.  He put it right on the ground.  It's frame is about 2 feet of steel and it leaves a pretty good space beneath.  Yes animals live beneath it.  His solution was to let his dogs have it.  They keep other animals from calling it home.  He has even encouraged them to use it and has a regular insecticide regimen that he follows to keep the ticks and fleas at bay.  He even has several hatches in the floor so that he can access the space easily.

Warren

Thanks guys for the responses.  I was thinking RR ties leveled out on lime sand. But wasn't certain if I was trying to over-engineer it....

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

richie47

asy, hello and apologies for being off the air for so long...work and women, y'know...?

There are several mobs in Bris-vegas who deal in containers if you haven't already got one by now.....about 2k for a 40 footer delivered? not sure about that.

My mob. is 0408 854273 if you want to call me and I'm at Tuckombil behind Ballina.

No too far.    Give me a call and drop by if you want.

Regards,    richie

By the way  thanks to all who posted, esp re insulation ideas.
richie

TexasTimbers

Warren,

I'm not using my containers for kilns but just for general storage. I used 16" x 16" x 4" concrete foundation pads and they worked out great.

I got nothin against the ties but for me this was an easier option. I was able to level mine spot-on without any shims but I had cut a bunch of 8 x 8 cedar shims in thicknesses of 1/8", 1/4", 1/2", 3/4" and 1"for this purpose. Ended up using them on another foundation project.

If you do use concrete pads you have to make sure they are fully supported underneath by dirt, no "hanging" corners, and that they too are level. The weight of the container will crack them if you aren't careful. that's the one drawback I see versus using ties. Ties are more forgiving but I just like the pads. You probably already done it.  :)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Warren

kevjay,

I appreciate the input.  Have not set the vans yet. Currently having fun with the new mill cleaning up all of the stuff I have had sitting around for the past year.  Suddenly, my (small) log yard doesn't look so big / full / overwhelming....

There is a slight pitch to the area where the kilns will sit. I originally put mud control and rock down to build my saw shed there.  But, have since changed my mind.  I will level the area up with lime sand (cheapest material from the quarry), lay the ties and set the vans.  There is a guy in town who sells used rr ties.  Not certain of the price.  But believe it will be cheaper than sawing out my own.

Still scratching my head about the best way to gracefully pull the landing gear and axles out from under the vans and set them on the ties.  BUT, I'll figure something out. That's part of the fun...     :D

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Furby

Prop them up on some 3x3 and shoot them out. ;)
Kidding......... sorta.

Warren

Furby,

Once upon a time I might have considered that.    :D     But you know... older...  wiser...    The guy that will do the trucking for me stopped by today.  He thought the 8,000 lb off road forklift should be able to lift/move each end without any significant issues.  Just need to get the lime sand in place to level up.

Warren

Furby

Sounds about right.
Worse case, build some cribbing and use hyd. jacks.
Forklift will be easier though.

scsmith42

Warren, if you already had a level pad for the container, I would not hesitate to put it directly on a bed of 2" aggregate.  I put RR Ties under mine because they were on a slope.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Warren

Nyle DH unit arrived yesterday !  Felt kinda like Christmas. Time to stop sawing and finish leveling the lot.  Pics in a  day or two.

Thank You Sponsors!