iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Joiner/planer combination ???

Started by shortlogger, December 11, 2014, 07:59:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shortlogger

What's your thoughts on the joiner planer combos ? Are they a great space saver ? Does anyone have one?
I'm a little worried that they might be ok at either task but not as good as the dedicated machines .
I'm looking at the Grizzly G0634XP I like the idea of a 12" spiral head joiner and planer for the money it would be cheaper than buying two individual machines . Sounds to good to be true .
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

MattJ

Get a hold of Scott Smith on this forum.  I think he has the grizzly combo.  scsmith42 I believe is his tag.

scsmith42

I have a 16" Grizzly (rebranded German made Sheppach).  If space is an issue, a combination machine is a great solution.  However they are not as good as two quality standalone machines, IMO.

My biggest complaints are the short in and outfeed tables for the jointer, and the fact that the removable fence will flex (which can mess up your edge joints).

If you have the room, I recommend dedicated machines.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Just Me

Not cheap, but a screaming deal on what is probably the best, or darn close to it.[Knapp?]

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?225529-Felder-AD751-20-quot-Jointer-Planer-in-Wilmington-DE-4500

That being said, if you have the room separates are way better.

Thank You Sponsors!