iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lapsiding

Started by Dozer_Man, May 23, 2018, 10:07:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dozer_Man

How do you all charge for lapsiding? I have almost 100 white pine logs that I need to saw up and nobody around my area wants anything white pine except for siding or boxing lumber. I have had a few folks ask if I sold lapsiding but up to this point I tell them no but I believe there is a market for siding around my area.  Do you all charge by the board ft or linear ft when making siding from your logs?
Brady Crabtree
Sawmill Bottom   '15 WM Lt35HD,  WM Pro Sawyer Network, 90 Chevy C50, 04 ram cummins, Stihl 362, 2008 Bobcat T180

WV Sawmiller

I would suggest charging by the square foot.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

brianJ

One way.....Saw up some for two hours then use math to measure how much you made and price needed to cover your costs and profit.   

GAB

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 23, 2018, 10:19:42 AM
  I would suggest charging by the square foot.
It could be done that way, however it would probably be confusing to some customers as some overlap is desired when applying lap siding and the overlap will reduce the square foot coverage.
For some people trying to do the math as to how much material is required to do a building might be akin to Chinese calculus.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Dozer_Man

I have had people ask how much a square foot and had them ask how much a linear foot for siding.  So I guess both ways could work. But it is true on the math, you would not believe how many people when for example you say hemlock 1 inch lumber is $.60 a bf turn right around and say how much is that a thousand. seriously?   Its $600. Asking them how much square ft they need maybe asking too much mental processing from some of these folks. A few that have asked about siding so far want me to come measure their house or building and tell them how much siding they need.  ::)  So maybe I am wasting my time with even making the pine into lap siding.
Brady Crabtree
Sawmill Bottom   '15 WM Lt35HD,  WM Pro Sawyer Network, 90 Chevy C50, 04 ram cummins, Stihl 362, 2008 Bobcat T180

Southside

I charge by the linear foot, and long pieces cost more, no different than lumber.  Some of my customers must be calling you because I get the same questions about how much they need, can I come measure it, etc...
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

Gerald,

When I say square ft I am talking about the boards themselves (Actually same as linear ft). The amount of overlap is up to the customer and they'd have to buy enough for that. 

I figure same way with B&B. Customer figures square ft of his coverage then buys enough extra for the battens.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

GAB

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 23, 2018, 03:11:56 PM
Gerald,

When I say square ft I am talking about the boards themselves (Actually same as linear ft). The amount of overlap is up to the customer and they'd have to buy enough for that.

I figure same way with B&B. Customer figures square ft of his coverage then buys enough extra for the battens.
"When I say square ft I am talking about the boards themselves" -  That is what I thought you meant.
I have a feeling most customers would forget about the overlap and would not be happy.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Don P

Usually when I buy siding it is priced by the lineal foot. No way would I get trapped into estimating for them, however I'd be more than happy to hand them a piece of paper or send them a pdf showing how to estimate it.

WV Sawmiller

I have not sawed or sold Lap siding although some folks just lap 4/4 boards. I have one shooting house we built like that. I have sold B&B and I always tell them "This much will cover the walls but you need to figure how much overlap you want for the battens and buy that much extra. I would do the same think with siding but leave that final decision with the customer. 
Howard Green

Chuck White

Sell by the linear foot!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!